Author Topic: So then, what car are you buying next?  (Read 372493 times)

Offline Spartacus

• GTI forum regular
Re: So then, what BMW are you buying next?
« Reply #1020 on: 20 July 2012, 15:44 »
So seeing as I am now in keeping with this thread...... here's what I've brought today...!

BMW 1 Series 125i M Sport 5 Door, Alpine White, 18” M Light alloy wheels, Anthracite Hexagon/Alcantara Interior Upholstery

Options
M Sport Brakes
Visibility Package
Sport Automatic Transmision
Harman Kardon H-Fi
Driver Comfort Package
Interior Comfort Package
Media Package BMW Professional (sat nav)
Sun Protection Package

With Free Servicing (upto 5 Years, 60,000 miles)

Delivery September ( can't bloody wait, although I will be very sad to see the GTI go ) :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I have traded in the GTI as part of the deal. However, I will also advertise it on here, Pistonheads and Autotrader. To make the car more attractive I will be selling including the Smoked R Rear LED's ( unless BMW take the car in which case I will sell separately with Raffe for first refusal ).

Congrats mate, thats pretty much bang on the spec i'd have as well except it would have to be blue!! :drool:

125i M Sport Estoril Blue

[

Thats the puppy!! (copies the pictures) hmmmm. :drool:

Sorry but i think you have made a mistake and I will explain why.

To me the 125i looks like a standard cooking 1 series, something any 18 yrd old spotty estate agent drives. Could be 116d for gods sake.

You have been driving a GTi, a car with 35 years heritage and that feels special, looks special and is special. Mine turns heads, I am sure yours does as well. Makes me feel good.

The 125i is just another 1 series with a 2litre petrol engine. There is no magic here. I think you will be trading it in within 6 months.

Cancel that 125i order and get the M135i with no options. It is a special car and will have a cult following. It will feel special as it is special.

A car that has no equal and one that you can keep for years.

And on the basis of what you’re saying I guess you own a Golf R seeing as it is obviously a far superior car to the GTI…… No I thought not!

Listen….. I love my GTI to bits and it’s ticked all the right boxes for me in terms of performance and refinement. It has/is one of the best rated hot hatches on the road and this has been the case for a number of years.

I don’t really buy into history,  although yes I agree the GTI has great heritage however so does BMW with the M Series.

On another note, VW price the GTI starting at around £26,000. It’s by no means a cheap car to buy and therefore most of us will shop around to see what the competition has to offer.

But thanks for explaining you think of made a mistake.

I still don't get your reasoning. I never understand people who settle for second best. I would have had the R in May 2009 but it was not available then on my company car scheme. Now it is but thats not what I am ordering.

You are buying an average car that looks and goes like any other fast hatch, when for the same money you could have bought something very special.

You will realise that the first time you see or hear an M135i, and it might be me in it !

But each to their own.

Good luck.
Mk6 GTi - returned to leasing company after 3 great years and replaced with :

Mk5 GTi - Edition 30 - Revo 1 and some tweaks - 310 bhp. Its a better car than the Mk6  - Now sold and replaced with :

Mk6 R - Rising Blue 5 Door. Won't be standard 270bhp for long

Family Car : Mercedes ML420 with 360 bhp
Looking at Porsche Macan as replacement

Offline carl1

• I live here
Re: So then, what car are you buying next?
« Reply #1021 on: 20 July 2012, 15:49 »
i love this 'heritage' argument.

what a load of nuts.

the mk3 and mk4 were crap so why would that influence your buying a mk6?

i buy a car on its merits at the times not what the earlier models were like 15 years ago.

Totally agree bud

+2

+3, i never even gave it a thought, its not as if 35 years is even that long.

Well done for the change of brand MAW i would like a change of brand myself, prob go Bmw, im sure your car will be great. I admit im not much of a fan of the 1 series but im looking at them quite often now and im getting more used to them, i saw a steel grey one today and i admit it looked quite nice.
GTI manual PP, now sold  :-(

Jimmymature

« Reply #1022 on: 20 July 2012, 16:47 »

I still don't get your reasoning. I never understand people who settle for second best. I would have had the R in May 2009 but it was not available then on my company car scheme. Now it is but thats not what I am ordering.

You are buying an average car that looks and goes like any other fast hatch, when for the same money you could have bought something very special.

You will realise that the first time you see or hear an M135i, and it might be me in it !

But each to their own.

Good luck.
[/quote]

LMFAO - you say about people settleing for second best? What car do you have? A Golf? Yeah! there's nothing better than one of those........

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #1023 on: 20 July 2012, 17:04 »
[\quote]Sorry but i think you have made a mistake and I will explain why.

To me the 125i looks like a standard cooking 1 series, something any 18 yrd old spotty estate agent drives. Could be 116d for gods sake.

You have been driving a GTi, a car with 35 years heritage and that feels special, looks special and is special. Mine turns heads, I am sure yours does as well. Makes me feel good.

The 125i is just another 1 series with a 2litre petrol engine. There is no magic here. I think you will be trading it in within 6 months.

Cancel that 125i order and get the M135i with no options. It is a special car and will have a cult following. It will feel special as it is special.

[/quote]

The 125i looks identical to the 135i except for the rear diffuser! I'd rather have a car with an adequate amount of power with all the bells and whistles as it's this that makes it feel nice inside rather than a monster with a couple of bits n bobs that i'll never use to it's full potential! I'm never going to track my car so whats the point?
« Last Edit: 20 July 2012, 17:06 by Jimble »
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline MAW73

• I live here
  • Used to like Golfs :-)
« Reply #1024 on: 20 July 2012, 17:41 »
i love this 'heritage' argument.

what a load of nuts.

the mk3 and mk4 were crap so why would that influence your buying a mk6?

i buy a car on its merits at the times not what the earlier models were like 15 years ago.

Totally agree bud

+2

+3, i never even gave it a thought, its not as if 35 years is even that long.

Well done for the change of brand MAW i would like a change of brand myself, prob go Bmw, im sure your car will be great. I admit im not much of a fan of the 1 series but im looking at them quite often now and im getting more used to them, i saw a steel grey one today and i admit it looked quite nice.

Thanks mate. The look of them took a wee while to grow on me. I couldn't be more happy with my new car choice.

2007 VW Mk5 Golf GT 5 Door DSG
2009 VW Mk6 Golf GTI 5 Door DSG
2012 BMW F20 125i M Sport, Auto
2014 BMW F20 M135i, Auto

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #1025 on: 20 July 2012, 18:03 »

Maybe one day you'll understand that there is more to life than having to have the latest, fastest, "best" car available at the time. After all, who are you trying to impress with it? And do they really give a sh1t?

Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline MAW73

• I live here
« Reply #1026 on: 20 July 2012, 18:03 »

The 125i looks identical to the 135i except for the rear diffuser! I'd rather have a car with an adequate amount of power with all the bells and whistles as it's this that makes it feel nice inside rather than a monster with a couple of bits n bobs that i'll never use to it's full potential! I'm never going to track my car so whats the point?
[/quote]

Thanks buddy, my thoughts entirely.

To me the 125i M feels like a perfect progression from the gti. I'm not after all out speed as I enjoy my licence and I want something where I'm comfortable with regarding running costs.

Of course I admire other cars on the road which are better than mine as I love performance cars but it doesn't bother me in the slightest as I feel very privileged to be driving what I am.

Unfortunately some people are too small minded to understand that.

2014 BMW F20 M135i, Auto

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #1027 on: 20 July 2012, 18:40 »
As long as your happy thats all that matters.  :smiley:
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline MAW73

• I live here
« Reply #1028 on: 20 July 2012, 18:45 »

Maybe one day you'll understand that there is more to life than having to have the latest, fastest, "best" car available at the time. After all, who are you trying to impress with it? And do they really give a sh1t?

Quote of the day for me :grin:

2014 BMW F20 M135i, Auto

Offline ScottA

• I live here
« Reply #1029 on: 20 July 2012, 19:02 »

Sorry but i think you have made a mistake and I will explain why.

+1 I agree but each to their own
Will be a bit cheaper anyway :)

Maybe I should clarify my post - I was agreeing that personally I would order a M135i not 125i M Sport, but like I said, each to their own.

As regards to 35 years heritage. I agree and I don't. As far as a "brand" yes the GTI has history and is well known compared to most and you do pay extra for that. But 35 years as in "experience" building hot hatches, I would agree, is a load of b0llocks! After all it's been the most unreliable car I've owned so far  :grin:

Anyway, I hope you BMW fellas enjoy your new cars. As previously posted, I have been VERY tempted!!!