Author Topic: So then, what car are you buying next?  (Read 373623 times)

Offline Ess_Three

• I live here
Re: So then, what car are you buying next?
« Reply #640 on: 16 May 2012, 19:25 »

Unless the MK7 comes in at under £25k I can see a lot of people going for the 135, I certainly am really considering it....

RWD and winter make the 1 Series a no go for me...BMWs just get left in the driveway round here in winter.
Sure, winter tyres help (so do non-run flat tyres)...but you will get to where you are going in a Golf where a 1 or 3 series will be beached in the driveway...so sadly, that makes it utterly pointless as an only car, for me...unless they bring out an 'iX' version.

Reducing my Golf count by the week....
..but gaining motorcycles.

Offline mkviken

• I live here
« Reply #641 on: 16 May 2012, 20:01 »
problem with BMW is everything is an extra.

no one will buy a basic price version, by the time you add a few bells and whistles it will be closer to £30k

i got taken out in PDT's demo car 135i coupe and it was quick and stuck like sh!t on a mattress with the bilstein B12 kit fitted.
Golf GTI Clubsport S #237 Tornado red
Golf GTI 7.5 230 white silver

Offline Steve30

• I live here
  • Ed30 .
« Reply #642 on: 16 May 2012, 20:05 »

Unless the MK7 comes in at under £25k I can see a lot of people going for the 135, I certainly am really considering it....

RWD and winter make the 1 Series a no go for me...BMWs just get left in the driveway round here in winter.
Sure, winter tyres help (so do non-run flat tyres)...but you will get to where you are going in a Golf where a 1 or 3 series will be beached in the driveway...so sadly, that makes it utterly pointless as an only car, for me...unless they bring out an 'iX' version.

Just think of those hairy chested moments you could have in Bonni Scotland  :grin:

Tiguan quicker than the Golf

Offline Ess_Three

• I live here
« Reply #643 on: 16 May 2012, 20:14 »

Just think of those hairy chested moments you could have in Bonni Scotland  :grin:

This is true...
Whilst it has a certain allure on, a nice day, up in the Highlands, on a great road...not so much when trying to go to Tesco in 4" of snow.  :smiley:

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
  • E63s Estate - Vito Sport
« Reply #644 on: 16 May 2012, 20:24 »
What about the other 360 days of the year?

I'm lucky I suppose as we always have a 4x4 and a car and some more cars and some vans, then there's the chopper, the private jet  :grin:

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #645 on: 16 May 2012, 21:07 »
I think you may find up north it snows more than 5 days a year. It's even been trying all this week! Huge stupid width tyres on BMW are not great in snow and even better at aquaplaining the rest of the year lol.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
  • E63s Estate - Vito Sport
« Reply #646 on: 16 May 2012, 21:24 »
Your dreaming if you think your troublesome yet economical git is the ultimate driving machine...

Any sensible driver will change their tyres to suit adverse weather conditions unless of course you have a true 4x4 with genuine 4 season tyres of course.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #647 on: 16 May 2012, 21:39 »
Never said it was but low profile 245+ tyres and rwd of a BMW in snow is asking for trouble be it winter tyred or not.

Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #648 on: 16 May 2012, 21:47 »
I like BMW there obsession with making tyres wider and wider keeps my cousin in a job recovering them after aquaplaining off the motorway helps pay for the spares for his BMW drift car. (found the BMW far more reliable than his  200sx for.drifting.)
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 

Offline Ess_Three

• I live here
« Reply #649 on: 16 May 2012, 21:48 »
Any sensible driver will change their tyres to suit adverse weather conditions unless of course you have a true 4x4 with genuine 4 season tyres of course.

And a Golf with winter tyres on will still be better than a RWD BMW with winter tyres on...as proven in my street over the last few winters.
I'd have a 335D Touring if I could use it all year round...but I can't.

However, once the new 335DX is available in the UK...the game changes.