Author Topic: So then, what car are you buying next?  (Read 372518 times)

Offline KennyGTI

• I live here
Re: So then, what car are you buying next?
« Reply #450 on: 03 February 2012, 09:59 »
The Scirocco R is definitely growing on me. Looks very sleek from the front and an eye catcher for sure. Downside is the back end is not up to much and it only has FWD. How much do you think you could get one of these for new?

APR Stage 2+

Offline Edi35

• Here all the time
« Reply #451 on: 03 February 2012, 10:21 »
If I didn't need the space and practicality of the Golf then the Scirocco R would be my choice it is definitely the more sporty to drive and being only FWD is not a problem as it is very planted. I prefer the FWD handling to the AWD on the Golf/Scirocco platform as it feels lighter and a little more raw. The AWD is very secure (I have had a number of Audi quattros) and am a fan of AWD but I just prefer the FWD set up. I remember having the same choices when deciding on R32 and ED30. The Scirocco R's are very rare I assume as I think I have only seen 5 to my knowledge since they have been on sale and one was the car I drove. Not sure on prices but a good choice IMO.
Current: GTI Edition 35 Candy White 5dr DSG 19" Glendale, RCD510+DAB, Dynaudio, Storage Pack, Parking Sensors

Gone: Edition 35, GTI Mk6, Edition 30, GTI Mk4, GTI Mk3, GTI Mk2 and my favourite the UR quattro
For those that dont know DSG is an electronically controlled dual-clutch multiple-shaft manual gearbox

Jimmymature

« Reply #452 on: 03 February 2012, 11:15 »
I have driven the Scirocco R and it is fantastic to drive handling is excellent sounds brilliant and is very quick. I have also driven the Golf R on extended test drives and would choose this over the Scirocco simply because it is more practical. However I have not gone for either as the best on the bunch (IMO) is the ED 35 which I have ordered (5dr DSG in Carbon Grey 19" Glendales plus more options) and it will be delivered in early March.

Not knocking the ED35 as it is indeed a nice car, but better that a Golf R or a Rocco R I don't think so. They both have more power, they both have better brakes etc, they look better and they both lap tracks faster than the ED35.

I suppose it depends on what your definition of better is, mine is speed, comfort and practicality, therefore the Golf R IMO is the better car.

Jim

Offline Edi35

• Here all the time
« Reply #453 on: 03 February 2012, 13:03 »
I have driven the Scirocco R and it is fantastic to drive handling is excellent sounds brilliant and is very quick. I have also driven the Golf R on extended test drives and would choose this over the Scirocco simply because it is more practical. However I have not gone for either as the best on the bunch (IMO) is the ED 35 which I have ordered (5dr DSG in Carbon Grey 19" Glendales plus more options) and it will be delivered in early March.

Not knocking the ED35 as it is indeed a nice car, but better that a Golf R or a Rocco R I don't think so. They both have more power, they both have better brakes etc, they look better and they both lap tracks faster than the ED35.

I suppose it depends on what your definition of better is, mine is speed, comfort and practicality, therefore the Golf R IMO is the better car.

Jim

I don't disagree I just prefer the FWD set up and I need the practicality of the Golf so has to be the ED35 for me.
Current: GTI Edition 35 Candy White 5dr DSG 19" Glendale, RCD510+DAB, Dynaudio, Storage Pack, Parking Sensors

Gone: Edition 35, GTI Mk6, Edition 30, GTI Mk4, GTI Mk3, GTI Mk2 and my favourite the UR quattro
For those that dont know DSG is an electronically controlled dual-clutch multiple-shaft manual gearbox

Offline carl1

• I live here
« Reply #454 on: 03 February 2012, 13:13 »
I like the Scirocco R but the problem is for me is that the standard gt model with the 19" wheels is just as good looking if not better.
I didn't like the back at first but it's grown on me a little.
« Last Edit: 03 February 2012, 13:16 by carl1 »
GTI manual PP, now sold  :-(

Offline R32DXT

• Just got here
« Reply #455 on: 12 February 2012, 22:52 »
I'm hoping the MK7 Golf isn't the step forward its being made out to be in the motoring press so I won't want to sell our MK6 R. I'm more attached to this car than any of the previous ones we've had. Might feel tempted by the new A3 if Audi can develop a car without concrete suspension for us older owners.
Previous Cars
Mk2 GTI 8v (x2), MK2 GTI 16v (x3), Mk3 VR6 (x2), MK4 GTI, MK5 GTI, MK5 R32, MK6 GT TSI 160, Audi 8P S3

Plus Lancia Integrale 16v, E30 BMW 323i, BMW E30 M3 (x2), BMW E46 330D, Porsche 911SC, Renault Alpine GTA and quite a lot of sensible stuff

Current Cars
MK6 Golf R, Audi TT TDI

Offline mkviken

• I live here
« Reply #456 on: 13 February 2012, 10:18 »
Had a look a boxster spyder yesterday. That's my next car if my luck is in this year.
Golf GTI Clubsport S #237 Tornado red
Golf GTI 7.5 230 white silver

Offline PenguinGTI

• I live here
« Reply #457 on: 14 February 2012, 00:37 »
I'm hoping the MK7 Golf isn't the step forward its being made out to be in the motoring press so I won't want to sell our MK6 R. I'm more attached to this car than any of the previous ones we've had. Might feel tempted by the new A3 if Audi can develop a car without concrete suspension for us older owners.

Shush!  :grin:

Although I have to agree with you re. the attachment.

Offline olly1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #458 on: 20 February 2012, 12:49 »
Missing my GTD! The new Mark 7 GTI is too far off.
Have you seen the pics of new Cayman?
My order may well be with the Stuttgart crew!!! when the new cayman is released
later this year.

Offline I.D.C.

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #459 on: 20 February 2012, 14:03 »
If I can’t order a mark 7 GTI come December then I will order a Scirocco R in white – 19’s alloys, leather and panoramic sunroof.
The mark 7 GTI is what I would really like but wont wait after December to order.