Author Topic: So then, what car are you buying next?  (Read 369785 times)

Offline AGB

• I live here
Re: So then, what car are you buying next?
« Reply #320 on: 09 October 2011, 11:24 »
Congratulations Alex. Bleck it flatly had to be.

I drove a Boxter in France for a couple of days recently. 'twas Red of course. Quite amazing and great second car to have for those fun solitary moments.

But why get a Tig? Keep the GTI and let the lady have some fun too. She'll be no safer in a Tig. Besides, you'll need a step ladder to clean the Tig's top or is that the good lady's task? Typical Colonial!

Thanks Dustybones & Doc. I think I will get some Boxter Spyder wheels as well at some point because it was such a difficult choice between the two. Dealer offered the black gratis and I figured what the hell. Anyway, I've spent quite enough money lately. I'll be ridiculously peeved if I kurb one of those alloys because they'll be a pain to repair. But, as I've learned rather quickly, people don't have much sympathy for people who own a Porsche.  :grin:

What Boxster was it Asker? S or Spyder? I drove a Boxster S Black Edition as the dealer said I should try it to make sure the Cayman R was the right choice and it was brilliant, it's what sold me on PDK.

I'd love to keep the GTI Asker but sadly it's too much car for Mrs AGB, especially since it was remapped. The GTI was a compromise car (performance/practicality) and has suffered the indignity of having hauled firewood, compost as well as various pieces of rubbish from the house to the dump. It's always been a bit of a hassle getting everything into and requires lots of protection to ensure the car isn't damaged doing this sort of thing and the dimensions of the Tiguan are a bit more helpful in this regard. That and we're getting a couple of dogs so it'll be easier to move them around with the seat config and options. Diesel makes sense from a fuel economy perspective and we're going to get a DSG box for London driving. I will speak to Superchips and get a remap applied and it's quite handy in that I'll have a bit of fun when I drive it too and I'll revert it when Mrs AGB drives. Two cars perfectly suited to the job they serve.

As it is, the Porsche is living in dehumidified storage about 10 miles away. I'll miss being able to admire her good looks on my way in and out but given the cost, I intend to keep her in pristine condition and unlike the GTI, she won't live on the street outside my house. I have no doubt that if anyone vandalised her, they'd be killed on the spot.  :laugh:

That said, I will always have a soft spot for the GTI. I will be genuinely sad when it goes.

MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #321 on: 09 October 2011, 11:57 »
Alex: For 3-4 days, I drove a Boxster S in flat Red, auto box (drove me nuts to start with), beige leather interior, electric seats, fantastic sound system, Sat Nav, adaptive chassis, 19" wheels and lord knows what else. It was a memorable experience.
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #322 on: 09 October 2011, 12:28 »
Alex: For 3-4 days, I drove a Boxster S in flat Red, auto box (drove me nuts to start with), beige leather interior, electric seats, fantastic sound system, Sat Nav, adaptive chassis, 19" wheels and lord knows what else. It was a memorable experience.

Would have been more memorable in black...  :grin:
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #323 on: 09 October 2011, 13:41 »
GTI gone - hello M3

Bloody Love it.  :smiley:

LOVE THIS!!

good ol v8  :evil:

Offline JellyCat

• Here all the time
« Reply #324 on: 09 October 2011, 15:17 »
Tricky as I'm very happy with my current GTI mk6 as it's speced just how I'd like it.
However regarding a replacement.... I need a 4\5 door for covering some of the school runs etc, and I love something a little fun, not too worried about the price as long as I don't think it's a rip off for what you get.

The problem with the GTI was the factory order waiting time, and I was totally hacked me off was the dealer pushing out the delivery time over and over again (even after when I agreed to a further 3 month wait and VAT hit for the 2010 plate). VW limiting numbers to keep used prices high, I'm ok with that providing they keep (with in reason to the sodding delivery date!).

Might go for... new shape S3 when it comes out, a Panamera, or mk7 GTI if it's any good and a 100% assurance I won't get messed about with bouncing delivery dates. Would want to try one before buying the car first.
Also... it's not just the GTI which VW are fooking people about regarding delivery dates. The new tigwan is the same. Dealers say (and produce a print out) stating about 9 weeks, but it's more like 6 MONTHS min!!!!

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #325 on: 09 October 2011, 19:10 »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #326 on: 09 October 2011, 19:21 »
Tricky as I'm very happy with my current GTI mk6 as it's speced just how I'd like it.

Why change it then?
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline JellyCat

• Here all the time
« Reply #327 on: 09 October 2011, 19:55 »
At this point in time I won't be unless the next generation S3 or GTI are something special, however saying that I tend to buy a new car every 3 or so years so maybe next year ;)

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #328 on: 10 October 2011, 17:06 »
I will replace my GTI with the Mk7 version.
But I also hanker after a convertible sports car. So I am considering buying a Porsche Boxster at some stage. It will probably be the S. However, having driven the basic version last week, it seems a bit sweeter, though not as fast.
All this is dependent on finding a garage close to home.
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #329 on: 10 October 2011, 17:14 »

I don't know why, but my eye was drawn to the 4x4 hitched to the caravan. Slight overkill when choosing his tow car maybe?
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.