Author Topic: So then, what car are you buying next?  (Read 372250 times)

Jimmymature

Re: So then, what car are you buying next?
« Reply #170 on: 19 August 2011, 19:04 »
Stunning cars those XFs, even more so with the recent facelift. Depreciation is no worse than anything else these days and the dealers just have to be better than VW dealers.

I'd happily have one over another VW.

However, having had the Mk6, any car I'd have would have to "excite me" like the GTi does. Whether an XF would excite me or not is a different matter so I'd be thinking a second hand M3 or such like. I think 300 bhp would be a minimum in my next car.

Agree with your comments completely, it is the reason why an Audi S4 will be my next car.  My mate who rides bikes too says that the power reminds of of bikes, instant and massive kick and huge grins all round.

Jim

Offline simonpolly

• I live here
« Reply #171 on: 19 August 2011, 19:20 »
New Sharan 2.0ltr Tdi SEL comes fully loaded,leather, panoramic sunroof,510,cruise,bluemotion,and lots more.(family car keeping GTI ) :smiley:

« Last Edit: 20 August 2011, 12:48 by simonpolly »
Golfgti build quality is average at best.

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #172 on: 19 August 2011, 20:49 »
I must admit that I have been tempted by the Golf R. It is expensive but the performance (even more so when mapped), the practicality (think I'd go 5 door) and also the 4wd are all attractive features. But then I configured one on the VW site.
Here it is:
VW Golf R
DSG
Standard Wheels
Reflex Silver/ Rising Blue (not decided but both same price)
ACC (can get fed up of the bumpy ride sometimes on the GTI)
Sunroof
Cruise
£34,865.
So I thought about what it was in the Golf R I really liked. In terms of performance I really like a good bit of overtaking shove without having to shift down... so I suppose it is really torque I am after than just high end horsepower. As demonstrated by my inclusion of ACC, I recognise that the standard GTI ride is too firm sometimes and more often than not, I'd prefer it softer.
And for the money I came up with this:
Mercedes C Class
7G Tronic Automatic (inc. cruise control)
Silver
Elegance Class
Panoramic Sunroof
Split folding rear seats
Grey Artico Interior
The total for the Merc is around £30-31k. If I was to utilise the full budget of the Golf R then I could upgrade to a C350 CDI which provides the same 270hp but in a diesel so a heck of a lot more torques
  :smiley:
So it's either a fast VW Golf or an equally fast (and probably faster at overtaking) Merc for the same money.
As great a car as the Golf is, and as desirable as the Golf R is... it's just not that much car for the money.   :undecided:

Totally agree with most/all of the above. :wink:
And that is why we also have a Mercedes C Class 350 CDI Sport 7 Speed Auto with all the toys.
I still prefer my GTI with ACC.  :smiley:
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline MAW73

• I live here
  • Used to like Golfs :-)
« Reply #173 on: 19 August 2011, 21:02 »
Don't shoot the messanger.... but I've a bit of a thing for the Jaguar 3.0 V6 diesel XF's at the moment.

Whats everyone else think about these?

They are a great car, 0-60 is quicker that our cars...

The interior is first rate, just drove 300 miles in one today and wasn't at all tired after the trip.  Agree that is is an older persons car but what a great car.

Jim

^ Interesting..... I'm glad it's just not me that likes them then.

Think I'd miss my GTI though. Such a great car.

2007 VW Mk5 Golf GT 5 Door DSG
2009 VW Mk6 Golf GTI 5 Door DSG
2012 BMW F20 125i M Sport, Auto
2014 BMW F20 M135i, Auto

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #174 on: 20 August 2011, 22:33 »
Don't shoot the messanger.... but I've a bit of a thing for the Jaguar 3.0 V6 diesel XF's at the moment.
Whats everyone else think about these?

It's a wonderful car in every way. I would have bought one if I had the parking space at work.
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #175 on: 20 August 2011, 22:36 »
As per the title, what car are you buying next?
Im looking for a standard good condition mk2 Golf GTI 16V.

But watching these videos time and time again does nothing to stop me thinking of maybe we also need a new family car :grin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HayoASR-54&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enWh_A9spHA&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzFnmcG3OtA&feature=player_embedded
« Last Edit: 20 August 2011, 22:45 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline PenguinGTI

• I live here
« Reply #176 on: 20 August 2011, 23:45 »
That first one Snoops is a bit odd. The car is obviously DSG because it has the paddles, the familiar DSG burp and also IIRC then the RS3 only comes in DSG format. But he seems to be awfully busy doing things with what looks like the gear stick. Also there is definitely a point in the video that the car bounces off the limiter.

Very interesting indeed   :nerd:

Offline bcarlin

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #177 on: 21 August 2011, 09:19 »
how do you's think the mk6 will hold its price when its say 5 years old ? going by the mk5 they dont hold there money. many mk5 gti's are selling for 8k on a 06 plate

Offline MAW73

• I live here
  • Used to like Golfs :-)
« Reply #178 on: 22 August 2011, 09:19 »
how do you's think the mk6 will hold its price when its say 5 years old ? going by the mk5 they dont hold there money. many mk5 gti's are selling for 8k on a 06 plate

I would expect the same re-sale values in the Mk6's as well after 5 years  :sick: I shall be keeping mine for 4 years though. Would hope to get around 12k..... maybe wishful thinking.

2007 VW Mk5 Golf GT 5 Door DSG
2009 VW Mk6 Golf GTI 5 Door DSG
2012 BMW F20 125i M Sport, Auto
2014 BMW F20 M135i, Auto

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
  • E63s Estate - Vito Sport
« Reply #179 on: 26 August 2011, 19:20 »
123d for me at the mo  :rolleyes: