Author Topic: So then, what car are you buying next?  (Read 369837 times)

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
Re: So then, what car are you buying next?
« Reply #160 on: 04 August 2011, 22:07 »
That's rich coming from a lout from Leeds. :laugh:
Goodnight!
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline Steve30

• I live here
  • Ed30 .
« Reply #161 on: 04 August 2011, 22:19 »
@Martin: I have seen so many A1s. IMO the shape of the rear is all wrong. It has a weird light looking arse which does not match the butch planted front of the car. The car is neither fish nor foul. Pity. 

The man with no taste has spoken!! BUY IT!!!  :laugh:

Says the man from Mazda  :grin:

Tiguan quicker than the Golf

Offline ed2708

• Not said much yet
« Reply #162 on: 05 August 2011, 10:25 »
i currently have a roc r dsg and am generally always on the look out for my next car. however at the moment im loving it and apart from fuel economy and maybe slightly high company car tax it just ticks all my boxes. i do like the look of the new citroen ds5 hybrid. i saw one at a test event a couple of weeks ago and it looked stunning. i also like the new 3.0 m sport X3. but who knows what will be out in 12/18 months...

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #163 on: 05 August 2011, 14:10 »
That's rich coming from a lout from Leeds. :laugh:
Goodnight!

hardly a lout when i drink less than you seem to  :rolleyes:

Offline MAW73

• I live here
  • Used to like Golfs :-)
« Reply #164 on: 19 August 2011, 14:28 »
Don't shoot the messanger.... but I've a bit of a thing for the Jaguar 3.0 V6 diesel XF's at the moment.

Whats everyone else think about these?

2007 VW Mk5 Golf GT 5 Door DSG
2009 VW Mk6 Golf GTI 5 Door DSG
2012 BMW F20 125i M Sport, Auto
2014 BMW F20 M135i, Auto

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #165 on: 19 August 2011, 15:54 »
Don't shoot the messanger.... but I've a bit of a thing for the Jaguar 3.0 V6 diesel XF's at the moment.

look nice... but very old man-ish!

will depreciate like a lead baloon if other jags are anything to go by  :lipsrsealed:

Offline MAW73

• I live here
  • Used to like Golfs :-)
« Reply #166 on: 19 August 2011, 16:58 »

look nice... but very old man-ish!

will depreciate like a lead baloon if other jags are anything to go by  :lipsrsealed:

I've just turned 38 so I'm starting to qualify for one of these. I certainly wouldn't buy a new one. It would be a second hand nearly new job. i.e. one previous owner who died of old age.  :grin:

2007 VW Mk5 Golf GT 5 Door DSG
2009 VW Mk6 Golf GTI 5 Door DSG
2012 BMW F20 125i M Sport, Auto
2014 BMW F20 M135i, Auto

Offline PenguinGTI

• I live here
« Reply #167 on: 19 August 2011, 18:20 »
I must admit that I have been tempted by the Golf R. It is expensive but the performance (even more so when mapped), the practicality (think I'd go 5 door) and also the 4wd are all attractive features. But then I configured one on the VW site.

Here it is:

VW Golf R
DSG
Standard Wheels
Reflex Silver/ Rising Blue (not decided but both same price)
ACC (can get fed up of the bumpy ride sometimes on the GTI)
Sunroof
Cruise

£34,865.

So I thought about what it was in the Golf R I really liked. In terms of performance I really like a good bit of overtaking shove without having to shift down... so I suppose it is really torque I am after than just high end horsepower. As demonstrated by my inclusion of ACC, I recognise that the standard GTI ride is too firm sometimes and more often than not, I'd prefer it softer.

And for the money I came up with this:

Mercedes C Class
7G Tronic Automatic (inc. cruise control)
Silver
Elegance Class
Panoramic Sunroof
Split folding rear seats
Grey Artico Interior

The total for the Merc is around £30-31k. If I was to utilise the full budget of the Golf R then I could upgrade to a C350 CDI which provides the same 270hp but in a diesel so a heck of a lot more torques  :smiley:

So it's either a fast VW Golf or an equally fast (and probably faster at overtaking) Merc for the same money.

As great a car as the Golf is, and as desirable as the Golf R is... it's just not that much car for the money.   :undecided:

Jimmymature

« Reply #168 on: 19 August 2011, 18:26 »

They are a great car, 0-60 is quicker that our cars...

The interior is first rate, just drove 300 miles in one today and wasn't at all tired after the trip.  Agree that is is an older persons car but what a great car.

Jim
« Last Edit: 19 August 2011, 19:03 by Jimmymature »

Offline andykram

• I live here
« Reply #169 on: 19 August 2011, 18:52 »
Stunning cars those XFs, even more so with the recent facelift. Depreciation is no worse than anything else these days and the dealers just have to be better than VW dealers.

I'd happily have one over another VW.

However, having had the Mk6, any car I'd have would have to "excite me" like the GTi does. Whether an XF would excite me or not is a different matter so I'd be thinking a second hand M3 or such like. I think 300 bhp would be a minimum in my next car.