Author Topic: So then, what car are you buying next?  (Read 369864 times)

Offline Ess_Three

• I live here
Re: So then, what car are you buying next?
« Reply #30 on: 17 July 2011, 10:34 »
I think it will be either the MK7 Golf GTI, MK6/7 Golf R or a Porsche Cayman R. I think if I get the PCR, I will have to have left London and have garaging space. I've never been comfortable with the Porsche image though so it would have to really strike a chord like the GTI. I would want aircon in mine (sod the weight) and as for the vinyl livery on the side, that'd be straight off (there, that's about 50g saved).  :laugh:

On a practical level, I think total cost of ownership would potentially temper my enthusiasm for getting something completely self indulgent. God knows what emission and road taxes are going to end up looking like in the next 3-4 years.

The Cayman is a sublime car.
Nowhere near as practical as the GTI, but when it comes down to a decent drive, good as the GTI is, it's still only a Golf...not a Porsche...and the Cayman will do things you just can't do in a Golf.
The running costs aren't too bad either...not as bad as people fear.
Sod the perceived image...if you want a selfish drivers car...get one...or a 911.

Reducing my Golf count by the week....
..but gaining motorcycles.

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #31 on: 17 July 2011, 12:53 »
Good morning Alex.
Please let's buy the iQ in Cygnet form and look total cocks. I'll have mine in Princess Pink which is light red in your speak. Of course your's will be Butch Bleck.
Seriously, I will definitely buy a  Mk7 GTI. I need the rear space for my Princess make-up kit and the Zimmer which will have ACC. It will be a Porsche design so I can say I own a Porsche.
The GTI is amazing. I did 3 Heathrow runs yesterday and the car just swallowed people and luggage with ease. It flew down the M4 very quietly at truly very wicked speeds. The roads were empty and the car was given lots of encouragement by me. It was fast, very fast. My passengers were mesmerised.
I was therefore convinced that I would get another GTI.
BTW, the GTD would not have been able to reach those speeds. :evil:
Imagine what the car will be like when I get it re-mapped. :smug:
I am truly smitten. :smug:

Good Afternoon Asker

Those Cygnets are a total group emissions policy con for AML. A tender vehicle for your Aston Martin. I think I would have to have it in Lamborghini Flue Green (to reinforce it's green credentials no less). I actually test drove one in looking for a car for my wife (I've not a Kia dealership yet so will feedback when I do) and it was quite fun having a turning circle better than a black cab but I found it disconcerting parallel parking and checking my distance to curb by leaning across the passenger seat and over the door side.  :grin: They are dear for what they are though. You can easily spend £16k - £18k if you want some creature comforts.

You did three Heathrow runs? It sounds like you need a bus mate, not a GTI!  :grin:

Get yourself a remap, the extra power and torque does make a difference. I think I'll go see the Doc next time I'm in the market.

I was on the M1 and A40 yesterday going back to my old uni town and it was a lovely drive and I got to enjoy the GTI at more than 10mph so I hear what you're saying.  :laugh:

cheers

Alex

MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #32 on: 17 July 2011, 13:14 »
The Cayman is a sublime car.
Nowhere near as practical as the GTI, but when it comes down to a decent drive, good as the GTI is, it's still only a Golf...not a Porsche...and the Cayman will do things you just can't do in a Golf.
The running costs aren't too bad either...not as bad as people fear.
Sod the perceived image...if you want a selfish drivers car...get one...or a 911.

You're right, the Cayman I had previously was trouble free but I bought it without the intention of keeping it as I spotted a good deal on a quick sale and had a bit of fun with it for six months. I do love the looks of the Cayman R though. It's sufficiently far away from the Boxster to avoid the 'I own a Porsche and am a hairdresser thing'. I think it's less to do with what people think and more about them vandalising the car. The Cayman suffered 2 key scratches, a dent and a large snow thingy about four foot high planted centrally on its bonnet. I don't want something brash and crass, it's just finding that balance.

Not a 911 fan I'm afraid, they're just too bulbous. I'm doing a project car which is a 356C Rogue and I'm hoping that it'll eventually turn out looking something like the below but while it's beautiful, I'm not going to get the same driving experience and performance. It all comes down to what I want but these old cars do tend to become obsessions and I've got a business to run as well, if only I could make more time!  :grin:

cheers

Alex

« Last Edit: 17 July 2011, 13:17 by AGB »

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #33 on: 17 July 2011, 13:18 »
Has Audi said anything more about production of their Quattro concept car yet  :cool: :smug:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T98DuDXfm7k
« Last Edit: 17 July 2011, 13:27 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #34 on: 17 July 2011, 13:23 »
Has Audi said anything more about production of their Quattro concept car yet  :cool: :smug:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T98DuDXfm7k

Not heard anything more. But there is of course the Scirocco that someone sat on:

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Secret-new-cars/Search-Results/Spyshots/VWs-Elise-rivalling-sports-car-scooped/
 :grin: :grin: :grin:

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #35 on: 17 July 2011, 13:27 »
Shame as i would pay for the Quattro  :cool:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgSkvNK5eiw&feature=relmfu
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #36 on: 17 July 2011, 13:59 »

Impressive figures I have to say.. esp the weight  :shocked:

I do like the retro look of the rear.. but that front end is just too shouty for me  :undecided:

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #37 on: 17 July 2011, 14:03 »

I do like the retro look of the rear.. but that front end is just too shouty for me  :undecided:
It just looks like an A5 with its nose smashed in.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #38 on: 17 July 2011, 14:04 »

Not a fan of those either  :sick:

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #39 on: 17 July 2011, 14:06 »

Not a fan of those either  :sick:

I'm just not an Audi fan full stop. I think some of the designs are nice but it's some of the owners that put me off!!
Disclaimer: Not the Audi owners on this forum!!! I mean the stuck up solicitor types.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner