Author Topic: Which Wheel Cleaner to buy?  (Read 4942 times)

NewGolf

Which Wheel Cleaner to buy?
« on: 20 August 2008, 20:49 »
Hi peeps.
I'm in the market for a gallon tub of wheel cleaner. I used to use AG wheel cleaner, but its harsh, very acidic and strips any protection I put on the wheels. It also marks any metal parts, like a chemical burn. I changed over to Megs Hot Rims, a very good product, but slightly too powerful for my weekly cleaning sessions, comes in under a half litre bottle, and is expensive.

What do you guys use, or recommend? I'm currently torn between Megs Wheel Brightener and Bilberry Wheel Cleaner, both similar price, but havent used either so after some top advice!

Over to the experts!  :wink:
« Last Edit: 25 August 2008, 19:05 by NewGolf »

Offline Conker

• I live here

NewGolf

Re: Which Wheel Cleaner to buy?
« Reply #2 on: 20 August 2008, 21:55 »
Thanks Conker thats the one I was leaning towards. Hoping 182 pops in and gives his advice, it costs quite a bit to get a 5 litre tub to the Channel Islands so want to make sure whatever I use is worth it  :wink:

Offline Greenouse

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 21 August 2008, 10:28 »
Do you really need wheel cleaner NewGolf? I was told by a profesional detailer I shouldn't use any at all on the wheel itself. Regular cleaning with soapy water plus regular waxing/sealing mean you shouldn't need to use any cleaner solution.  :smiley:

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 21 August 2008, 13:11 »
i must say since i have started using PB wheel sealant I haven't have to use a wheel cleaner

Offline k4ith

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 21 August 2008, 19:41 »
Recently i have been using Meguiars Wheel Brightener and its been good, bought AG wheel cleaner but its not as good imo.
MKV Golf GTI Edition30, GIAC Pump&Race Map, AutoTech Fuel Pump, R32 Front Brakes, Dbilas Flo-master Intake, S3 Intercooler.ECS Dog Bone Insert.
MKII GTI 8v Tornado Red 88 - Das Projekt

Offline Neil-MkVGTI

• Not said much yet
  • Who Needs Brakes !!!
« Reply #6 on: 21 August 2008, 20:51 »

I used to use wonder wheels on my Beemer - the alloy surface was rough and brake dust did cling on. 

The finish on my Golf alloys are much smoother and easier to clean with just soap and water.  I do use wheel wax (basic spray on turtle wax) the dirt comes off brilliantly every time.

NewGolf

« Reply #7 on: 21 August 2008, 21:07 »
Thanks Conker thats the one I was leaning towards. Hoping 182 pops in and gives his advice, it costs quite a bit to get a 5 litre tub to the Channel Islands so want to make sure whatever I use is worth it  :wink:

Bump  :wink:

Offline rowlers

• I live here
  • I'm back - MK7 GTI
« Reply #8 on: 21 August 2008, 21:09 »
this is good tackle:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10-Litres-Viro-Sol-Citrus-Cleaner-Degreaser_W0QQitemZ180278263403QQihZ008QQcategoryZ11702QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
use it neat on oil/grease, 10:1ish on grimey bit and up to 500:1 for general cleaning, works out very cheap!!

I use it all around the house and car - it smells nice too :wink:

Offline 182_blue

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 21 August 2008, 21:09 »
i like Megs wheel brightener but it can be harsh, however if you dilute it more than normal then its not so strong and i have never had an issue with it, i find if you do it often enough with a decent brush then you dont need much cleaner anyway, another good item from halfords is Autoglym engine and machine cleaner (not the wheel one as its to strong imo), also the bilberry is quite good too