Author Topic: OEM Wheel Supplier  (Read 3101 times)

Offline AGB

• I live here
OEM Wheel Supplier
« on: 06 May 2022, 01:08 »
Hey All

Wondering if anyone can recommend an OEM supplier of VW wheels? I'm looking to get a new 19" Pretoria in Silver and don't want to run the gamble of eBay and there seem to be a lot of 'Pretoria Style' wheels. I don't have the time or patience for a problem.

Local dealership quoted me £1080 for a wheel which seems pretty steep.

Be grateful for an indication of what reasonable prices are for OE - hard to judge based on searches due to a lot of the 'style' wheels versus OEM and as always, happy to support a retailer who sponsors the site if anyone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks!
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline oryx3dr

• GTI forum regular
Re: OEM Wheel Supplier
« Reply #1 on: 06 May 2022, 07:27 »
You’ll be lucky to find an OEM Pretoria for less than that I’d say. If you want good reps then I can highly recommend CM wheels, I have a set of the Reifnitz wheels and they’re brilliant. Can’t fault them at all. The only niggle is the slightly different size centre cap but not the end of the world. Might be worth a look.
Current - 2020 Black Golf GTI Performance Pack DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Climate Windscreen, Brescia's
Sold - 2017 MK7 Oryx White 3dr GTI
Sold - 2019 Up GTI

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 06 May 2022, 08:36 »
£1,000 or thereabouts is probably the current going rate for a brand new genuine 19” OEM Pretoria alloy for the Golf.

Best way to tell if a Pretoria advertised for sale is a genuine one or not is to ask to see the reverse side of the spokes to ensure the important identifying marks are there. The offset of a replica is also likely to be be slightly more aggressive than the offset of a genuine OEM Pretoria, and the OEM centre caps might not fit a replica Pretoria.

Bear in mind that OEM Prets were available for other VW models (e.g. T-Roc R, Passat) with a different offset to the Pretoria’s fitted to the Golf. There’s also an OEM 18” version that is available from VW’s accessories range, so it’s important to check that any Pretoria alloy advertised for sale had the correct part number and spec details for the Golf.

The genuine OEM 19” Pretoria for the Golf will include the following information stamped into the reverse side of the spokes;
VW Part no; 5G0601025AJ or 5G0601025CK
Size and offset; 8J x 19 ET50
Manufacturer - Borbet or BBS (probably Borbet, but BBS did make some of the early Pretoria’s for VW)

There’ll also be the VW logo, and (I think) a JWL test certification mark stamped into the back of the spokes.

I’m assuming you’re not interested in a refurbished alloy? If you are, always ask the seller to confirm it’s not suffered any structural damage / structural repairs. Also, the silver colour of the Golf’s Prets seems to be a difficult colour for many wheel refurb companies to get an accurate colour match on, so there’s a risk a refurbished wheel might not match the other wheels on your car.
« Last Edit: 06 May 2022, 09:03 by SRGTD »
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Refurbished.

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 06 May 2022, 08:58 »
A vW dealer on eBay are selling a set of 4 for £1300

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 06 May 2022, 09:06 »
A vW dealer on eBay are selling a set of 4 for £1300

Link?

At that price, if they’re OEM Prets it sounds as if they’re probably the 18” version. Also, I get the impression that @AGB is only looking for a single wheel, although if they are the genuine 19” (flow formed?) Pretoria’s for £1,300 then it’d be worth considering buying a set of four.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 06 May 2022, 10:40 »
Why not just run the T-Roc Pretorias like I did? £1,400 brand new from Volkswagen for a set of 4, only difference is they aren’t forged, which is a good thing as they’re less likely to buckle and they’re et45 which saves you from fitting 5mm spacers.

3G0071499 2ZT
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Pete-r36

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 06 May 2022, 12:56 »
VW in St Andrews is selling some 18s at 1400 but with new premium contact 6 tyres so that’s under 1k for the wheels themselves.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324926590219?hash=item4ba7224d0b:g:Cm0AAOSwysBgkQ0a

Online Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 06 May 2022, 17:44 »
If you only want one wheel, and it needs to be genuine 19 inch for Golf, this one works out a couple of hundred cheaper than the dealer.

Be warned though they don't accept returns.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/192541794539?fits=Year%3A2019%7CMake%3AVW&hash=item2cd462a0eb:g:daUAAOSwc~5a-98R

7.5 GTD

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 06 May 2022, 21:09 »
Those 18"'s from St Andrews are the ones I'm considering in gloss black, keep meaning to ring my local dealer just to see what they want for a set of 18's from the accessory catalogue.

2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 07 May 2022, 22:53 »
You’ll be lucky to find an OEM Pretoria for less than that I’d say. If you want good reps then I can highly recommend CM wheels, I have a set of the Reifnitz wheels and they’re brilliant. Can’t fault them at all. The only niggle is the slightly different size centre cap but not the end of the world. Might be worth a look.

Thanks but not interested in reps, never really been of appeal but I am replacing a wheel that has been damaged and will get the damaged one refurbished and use as a spare or winter wheel. If I am not doing OE, it's BBS or Racing Line. But I'll take a look at CM Wheels now that I know about them. Appreciate the advice. 
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR