Author Topic: MK 5 R32 Review  (Read 34701 times)

Offline encee

• Just got here
Re: MK 5 R32 Review
« Reply #10 on: 17 December 2005, 01:10 »
Hello gents, and could I be so bold, (as a newbie) to offer a slightly alternative view-point ?

I would start by admitting that I really don`t know too much about the GTI, or R32 at this stage, as I`m just aboout to collect my (slightly) used `05 GTI on Monday, and I`ve never even driven the R32.

I can, however, offer an opinion about All-Wheel-Drives, as I`m just defecting from a Subaru STI to the Golf. As you say, the R32 will, no doubt, grip the roads very well in the current weather conditions (and the dry of course), but, in doing so, will cosset you in a way that front/rear drive cars can`t.

Surely a good thing ?, you may say, (and I wouldn`t really disagree), but what I did notice, when test-driving my prospective GTI the other day, was that it can actually be more fun to HAVE to control the slides that an AWD won`t induce ie, it can actually be more fun for the car to be slightly LESS efficient in the way it puts the power down, if that makes any sense ?  (I apologise in advance if it doesn`t     :grin:)

Don`t get me wrong, the Scooby has been devastatingly quick, in all weathers, due to its AWD system, and it never actually crossed my mind that this wasn`t the way to go, whilst I`ve been driving it, but when I drove the GTI a few days ago, I enjoyed having to feel for the traction a bit more on the bends, and realised afterwards that I had missed this in the Scoob.

Having said all that, I`m sure you will enjoy your R32`s gents, as they look fabulous in the flesh (so to speak), so just ignore my ramblings ( :embarassed:) and enjoy your AWD`s...................................Good luck.    :smiley:

Offline bleu610

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 17 December 2005, 03:12 »
Hi Recee,

Did you feel the R32 is not as sporty as GTI? because the car is more heavy especially the V6 engine at the head, and the car keep pushing on the twisty road because the over power bhp.  That's all the opinion from my friend after a test drive, what do you think?
anyway, i am sure the fuel consumption of R32 will be at least 20% higher than GTI

Offline GTiMK5

• Not said much yet
  • MK 5 R32, 3 door, DBP, Recaros on order
« Reply #12 on: 20 December 2005, 22:35 »
Went for a second test drive in a manual this time last week. The dealer gave me the keys and let me go out on my own which was a nice surprise (could be due to the fact I had already placed a factory order so he didnt need to sell it to me). I was out for about 90 mins mainly on A and B roads and some dual carriageway. All I can say is wow, it just got better and better the more I drove it. It convinced me that I have made the right choice in changing from the GTI to the R and also convinced me that for me the manual is the best choice. Now have to wait a while, got a Jan build date so hoping to see it sometime in March.

Offline Jimbo Mc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 23 December 2005, 01:11 »
Just here to stick a spanner in the works.........my local VW dealer had an R32 and GTI next to each other and I have to say that the GTI looked a million times better to me. Sorry! Having said this, I do think the new R32 is an awesome car, I know Autoexpress 'accidentally' hit 168mph in their test of one as the limiter wasnt working!!

I'd still go for the GTI though as I dont own any oil fields! This is probably the same reason that I chose my MK4 1.8T over the similar priced V6 4Motion.......Stupid Me!!!!!!!!!!!
MK4 2.0 GTI!, MK4 1.8T GTI, MK5 GT TDI 140, MK6 GTD.....loved em all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline GTiMK5

• Not said much yet
  • MK 5 R32, 3 door, DBP, Recaros on order
« Reply #14 on: 23 December 2005, 23:54 »
Just here to stick a spanner in the works.........my local VW dealer had an R32 and GTI next to each other and I have to say that the GTI looked a million times better to me.

Doesnt stick a spanner in the works for me, I think the R looks much better in the right colour, i.e. Deep Blue but appreciate we all have different tastes which is a good thing otherwise life would be very boring.

Offline MackyM

• GTI forum regular
  • Rollin' back the years...
« Reply #15 on: 28 December 2005, 08:45 »
Want sporty, steering feel and fun? Put 90 % of the money in the bank and buy a mark 2  :wink: Believe me, less is more.

Offline steviem

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 28 December 2005, 13:36 »
You mean RECARO:grin::laugh: :grin:

Offline chopper gti

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 27 January 2006, 13:54 »
driven both  and keeping the GTI, dislike the chrome on the front of the R32, especially when you come up behind someone and they see the black  (on sliver on mine) front.

also think the finnish of the trim inserts looks cheap compared to the GTI.
performance wise not much in it except the r32 is better mid range

all i can say is fuel.. i get on average 30mpg out of the GTI messing about in an r32 for a weekdn the best we could get was 19mpg... if you want a faster GTI get it chipped by QST!

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
  • E63s Estate - Vito Sport
« Reply #18 on: 05 February 2006, 16:47 »
I have been on a good drive in an R32 and  I  L O V E D  I T so much I went back to the garage and ordered one straight away!  :laugh:

I ordered it in the Grey but when I saw DBP I fell in love and changed mine to it!

The spec I ordered is: Cruise, DVD navi, Leather, Lux pack 2, Pearl paint, Reversing sensors, Winter pack and, of course the DSG gear box!

Can't wait for it to land but I know I'll miss my GTi in some areas  :cry:

PS the metal trim inserts are the same in the R32 as they are in the VEYRON  :drool:
« Last Edit: 05 February 2006, 16:50 by The Doc »

Offline charri42

• Here all the time
« Reply #19 on: 05 February 2006, 17:32 »
What annoys me about the R32 is the Jetta Sport has a near identical chrome front end.. I assume all Golfs will be facelifted soon to incorporate the big grill, then there will be even less differentiating the sportier models.

I know 'less is more', but am I alone in wishing the Gti and R32 would shout just a little louder?