Author Topic: DAN'S GTI VR6  (Read 19230 times)

Offline dansmk3

• Here all the time
  • FULL TIME JUNGLIST
Re: DAN'S GTI VR6
« Reply #10 on: 08 August 2011, 12:57 »
here is the state of my shear bolts

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #11 on: 08 August 2011, 12:59 »
^^  :shocked: :shocked: guess I was really lucky then.

Offline dansmk3

• Here all the time
  • FULL TIME JUNGLIST
« Reply #12 on: 08 August 2011, 13:07 »
yup  :laugh:

wayne do you know where i can find out what ancils go where mate? iv got a few on where i think they go but i just want to make sure

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #13 on: 08 August 2011, 13:38 »
yup  :laugh:

wayne do you know where i can find out what ancils go where mate? iv got a few on where i think they go but i just want to make sure

Offline Seanl

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 08 August 2011, 14:40 »
Alright Dan, cracking progress mate. The Gasket your talking about is just a sort of dust cover that sits at the bottom of the box. The gearbox sits a bit lower than the sump and there is a big gap without it, so it would allow road dirt and water up if not fitted. If the VR one is fitted in a similar way but you dont have the cover, I'm sure you could fab up something that would suffice mate.  :wink: :smiley:
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |

Offline dansmk3

• Here all the time
  • FULL TIME JUNGLIST
« Reply #15 on: 08 August 2011, 15:01 »
Alright Dan, cracking progress mate. The Gasket your talking about is just a sort of dust cover that sits at the bottom of the box. The gearbox sits a bit lower than the sump and there is a big gap without it, so it would allow road dirt and water up if not fitted. If the VR one is fitted in a similar way but you dont have the cover, I'm sure you could fab up something that would suffice mate.  :wink: :smiley:

the one out the 8v box does fit, kinda. its a couple of mm too long at one end so i might just snip a little bit off then bolt together!

i was going to give the bay a good clean and tidy up  but dont think i have the time lol

and cheers sean there still a fair bit to do, however we have broken the back of it, just got to fit all ancills to the lump, change drivers rear mount, fit box to lump and get it all in. tempted to change the clutch plate and flywheer? hmmmmm lol

Offline Seanl

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 08 August 2011, 16:01 »
Getting it out is the easy part!  :laugh: It should be ok as its all still fresh in your memory, even though it is a different engine! Mine was out for about 8 weeks so had a job trying to remember what everything was for and where it all went! Its a tight squeeze getting an 8v back in with the GB on, let alone a VR though! If you can put it in without the GB I would advise doing that, and then put the box on after as it will probably make life a bit easier in the grand scheme of things. I kept getting the driveshafts stuck underneath, and was a pain in the arse lining up the manifold without the pulleys catching one side, or gearbox catching the other. Good luck though!  :evil:
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |

Offline dansmk3

• Here all the time
  • FULL TIME JUNGLIST
« Reply #17 on: 11 August 2011, 23:03 »
Right time for some updates as we all like em lol

Full set of coilovers have been ordered.
Thanks to Mk3gti16v for sorting me out with the hydro clutch pipe from the res to master cylinder

Ordered some german plate surrounds also.

Does anyone know if the drivers engine mount bracket off the 8v is the same as the VR?
« Last Edit: 11 August 2011, 23:18 by dansmk3 »

Offline Bellend

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 11 August 2011, 23:43 »
Sweet.  :cool:

Looking good, good process. I gave up on my sheer bolts in the end, gonna have another crack tomorrow, tried punching and punching and punching.

Will resort to cutting them out I think, haven't tried it on the car I'm keeping though!

Where all my moneys went.

Golf MK3 1.6. Golf MK3 8v GTI.

Offline dansmk3

• Here all the time
  • FULL TIME JUNGLIST
« Reply #19 on: 12 August 2011, 00:36 »
Mate sometimes you get lucky! This time I didn't! Lol!

If you aint doin anythin on saturday mate pop up! Could do with a third pair of hands getting the lump in lol