Author Topic: Rattling from the rear  (Read 688 times)

Offline TDInowGTiLover

• Just got here
Rattling from the rear
« on: 09 April 2024, 13:20 »
Good afternoon, I've had my Golf a few months and I'm really enjoying it. I just have a few very silly things that I'm hoping I might be able to deal with.
First one is that when going over some bumps and definitely harsher speed bumps it kind of sounds like everything in the boot is jumping or rattling up and down. As the driver it's hard to tell if this is definitely where the noise is but sounds like it from the drivers seat. I've moved everything out the boot and still the same sound. I've tried tightening the spare wheel and made sure the equipment around it's seems secure and again the same sound only thing I haven't taken out is the moveable floor but have tried it in both positions. Just to be clear this isn't a massive deal but would be nice if someone at least knows what it might be if they have heard the same thing.
Last one, there is another (different) slightly metalic rattling noise which I believe I have located coming from the split rear seat drivers side. I think the locking mechanism is a little loose when giving it a little shake compared to the other side. Does anyone know how to tighten it? I'm sure the info is out there somewhere but I haven't found it. If someone is able to tell me or give me a link that would be much appreciated.

« Last Edit: 09 April 2024, 13:25 by TDInowGTiLover »
2020 (70 plate) MK 7.5 Golf GTi performance in indium grey
Previous 2017 MK3 Leon xcellence tech (now the wife's)
2011 Seat Exeo 2.0 TDI sport tech
2003 Seat Ibiza mk4 1.9 TDI sport 130. was modded to 180 😁
2000 Seat Ibiza mk3 1.6 sport
1997 seat Ibiza mk2 1.4 SXE

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: Rattling from the rear
« Reply #1 on: 09 April 2024, 14:17 »
Take your parcel shelf out and see if rattle one goes. If it does it's where the shelf flexes and bumps on the rests on one or both sides. Mine does that over undulating surfaces. Putting anti-rattle tape on the rests does help but on mine it only helped for a week or two so I've given up and put up with it. Rattle two, yes the locks can rattle on the rear seats, mine does that too. Again, anti-rattle tape on the fixed part the locks clamp on to sorts it. Mine's not rattled since.

I would also check that your tyre pressures are correct, given that temperatures are on the way up they may be too high :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 09 April 2024, 15:19 »
Check heat shield above the back exhaust box. It may be sitting down on the box.

You can put your hand under it and if it lifts up then the hangers suspending it have given way.

Simple job to prefix…. my garage fixed new hangers in 10 mins. But you need to put up on ramps to easily do it.

It’s a well known problem.
2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)

Offline TDInowGTiLover

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 09 April 2024, 15:48 »
Thanks for the suggestions. I've ordered some insulation tape to wrap around the latch. That or some felt was an idea I'd had when i first thought that could be an issue. I've since seen on other forums that it's a common thing and they mainly used insulation tape to sort it. I'm flying back home tomorrow so hopefully it will be there when I can get round to it.
With regards to the exhaust area I will have to wait until I can park somewhere quiet on a family members drive as I don't have one and try my best to inspect that.
2020 (70 plate) MK 7.5 Golf GTi performance in indium grey
Previous 2017 MK3 Leon xcellence tech (now the wife's)
2011 Seat Exeo 2.0 TDI sport tech
2003 Seat Ibiza mk4 1.9 TDI sport 130. was modded to 180 😁
2000 Seat Ibiza mk3 1.6 sport
1997 seat Ibiza mk2 1.4 SXE

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 10 April 2024, 08:31 »
I put rubber Vacuum tube with a slice down the length of it on the edges of the parcel shelf and that cured my rattle from there.

Also check the spare wheel plastic nut is tight as that rattles when only slightly loose.