Author Topic: mk2 oil problem...  (Read 824 times)

Offline dabill

• I live here
mk2 oil problem...
« on: 08 June 2007, 23:59 »
hallo,

little story to set the scene...

started off with oil light and buzzer problem. every now and again the ligh and buzzer would come on after i had booted the car, but when i blipped it over 2200rpm it went off.. got annoying so i changed to pressure sensors...

to no avail, but it wasnt doin the same as before now, oil light and buzzer where coming on and staying on when i revved it high..

so i decided the pick-up might be fooked, so i dropped the sum (2litre conv) and the pick up was clean as a whistle, so gave sump and such a wipe clean and replaced and put some 10-40 valvoline oil in...

nowww..... the oil light flickers when i idle the car, but not intemittently, jus randomly flickers alot... and when i rev it the buzzer and light do the usual.

im now confused, oil pump or relay? had a look for the relay, but can i hell find it, and i dont know where the flamin buzzer is...

any ideas?

oh yeah, its a digifant with 2ltr b/e and fast cams...
rob

« Last Edit: 09 June 2007, 00:01 by dabill »

noble tuned - and still not fast enough!

Offline vaughn

• I live here
  • now team wagon, and team grumpy trainee
Re: mk2 oil problem...
« Reply #1 on: 09 June 2007, 13:35 »
sounds to me like the your best bet is to change both, borrow a mates relay to see if its that first, then if that doesn`t work change the oil pump if after that it`s still doing it your bottom end needs rebuilding.

57 plate black 5dr ed30, 1969 bay window devon camper. thats all for now folks, hopefully picking up a wagon tomoz

Offline Uruk Hai

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 09 June 2007, 17:11 »
I would change the oil pump first as its not that hard a job and you dont want it failing, apart from that its a process of elimination but I would do the pump first as that has the potential to cause the most damage if it is wearing out.

Offline dabill

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 10 June 2007, 12:01 »
sweet, i'll have a go changing the pump...any one know where the relay is located? cans see it where the fuse board is mounted...

Offline Uruk Hai

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 10 June 2007, 18:04 »
If you drop the sump all should become clear  :wink:

Offline dabill

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 13 June 2007, 17:15 »
righty, changed the oil pump and car is running oh soo sweet! however, still got slight amount of flashing going on when i've booted it a bit and come to idle, a hel of a lot less now but still flickers and some ties stays on...

only thing i can think engine wise is that the pump is a standard 1.8 pump, with tyhe 1.8 pick-up attatched, not a 2ltr pick-up... anyways, cant be arsed messing about pulling all the clocks out, so going to install vdo guages and chop the bloody buzzer out!

sound like a good plan?

rob

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
« Reply #6 on: 14 June 2007, 12:50 »
what is your idle set to, and is the alternator giving out good strong voltage?
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline dabill

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 14 June 2007, 18:38 »
not 100% sure about the voltage... how do i test this? guessing using a voltmeter haha..

going to get a guy out to tune it i think... running very rich just from the smell... have it tuned and see if that solves the problemo...

still looking for some vdo guages..

rob