Author Topic: The real bike carb info Thread ! The ones who have them fitted please ,  (Read 28685 times)

Offline Neo Badness

• I live here
  • Feet are for pedals
It'll have to be a case of all show and no go, or perhaps, loud low and slow. Told my insurers about the mods to the car, recall it cost an extra 200.00 excess but can't put price on cool :laugh:

You don't own a Mk2, you support it.

Offline DoogalDoogz

• GTI forum regular
Well if i was going to put bike carbs on, id keep my standard tap exhuast, i hate big loud exhuasts which give a fake engine noise.

Also how would go about insuring my car if i put a 1600 engine into it? Surely bike carbs would just go under engine modification, like an air filter or induction kit like everyone seems to think will make a difference.

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
Just get a quote for *any* modification.

Bike carbs are a rather different modification to a loud exhaust, or a cone filter - they *actually* do something to the performance

I'm thinking the quote will make your a$re bleed.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline DoogalDoogz

• GTI forum regular
Insurance makes my arse bleed regardless of modifications.

Would a bike shop be able to set up the carbs if i did put them onto my car? Cant see a problem with this, but maybe they will say different.

Offline danny_p

• Forum addict
bike shops seem to be owned by useless muppets.  also stuff on bikes dosent seem to have part numbers.  so say you want jets you wander into the shop  you'll meet a short fat useless bloke. who will go umm err we can't help you with that unless you have.

reg number, chassi number, make, model and colour.  if you somehow manage to get these they will then ask you wether it was built on thursday or friday and what the middel name of the salesman that sold it  followed by demand for naked photos of his bird.

after all that you still get the wrong bits
all the VW's have gone bar 1.

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us

Would a bike shop be able to set up the carbs if i did put them onto my car? Cant see a problem with this, but maybe they will say different.

Have you even thought how you might fit them to your engine?

Where's Andres?  We need someone on here with some common sense....  :huh:

Offline Neo Badness

• I live here
  • Feet are for pedals
bike shops seem to be owned by useless muppets.  also stuff on bikes dosent seem to have part numbers.  so say you want jets you wander into the shop  you'll meet a short fat useless bloke. who will go umm err we can't help you with that unless you have.

reg number, chassi number, make, model and colour.  if you somehow manage to get these they will then ask you wether it was built on thursday or friday and what the middel name of the salesman that sold it  followed by demand for naked photos of his bird.

after all that you still get the wrong bits

:laugh: :laugh:

You don't own a Mk2, you support it.

Offline DoogalDoogz

• GTI forum regular

Have you even thought how you might fit them to your engine?

Where's Andres?  We need someone on here with some common sense....  :huh:

Well thats what this thread is for, to find out information on how to fit bike carbs. Thats why ive been asking for input, not giving input, as im new to cars and have a tiny mechanical knowledge.

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
Here is some information:

You're 18.  Any modification to your car is going to result in you being MASSIVELY penalised by your insurance company.  Any genuinely performance-enhancing modification will result in you being reamed through by your insurance company, or just told to get stuffed.

Go get a quote from your insurance company for your car + bike carbs.

Let us know if you're still interested after the quote.

To fit them you will need a stub manifold.  This will cost £2-400 to get made.

You'll need an electric fuel pump - £50-100

You'll need silicone hoses to mate the carbs to your stub manifold £20-40

You'll need time on a rolling road to get them set up properly: £70 per hour.

They will still be over your exhaust manifold on your tiny little engine.  Over this they will probably get hot and muck you about the whole time.

Go get a 1.6 or 1.8 Driver, fit a Weber 32/34 DTML carb to it and have some fun, instead of peeing away money on fuel without much reward.

Offline fishnchipsx2

• Here all the time

To fit them you will need a stub manifold.  This will cost £2-400 to get made a few quid for an inlet gasket, which you can use as a template to cut out a base from steel. Then get someone to weld on some tubing.

You'll need an electric fuel pump - £50-100 a bike pump, less than a tenner off ebay or second hand.  Or an MH 1.3 will run fine off the standard mechanical pump.

You'll need silicone hoses to mate the carbs to your stub manifold £20-40 some big-ass fuel hose, I've heard that petrol wears down silicone hoses? Not sure on this tho...?

You'll need time on a rolling road to get them set up properly: £70 per hour to spend hours and hours tinkering with em until you're happy.

Fixed.  :smiley:

I do however agree about the other points above: insurance will hate you if you decide to tell them, if you don't tell them, you may end up hating yourself.  They'll be a pig to setup on a counterflow head, and bigger engine on a weber will give you more power for a lot less fuel, and will probably still be cheaper on insurance.