Author Topic: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?  (Read 627077 times)

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?
« Reply #3130 on: 27 April 2022, 17:33 »
Does anyone know colour match id for red brake calliper's please  ?

I can vaguely remember seeing somewhere (sorry, don’t know where - it was a few years ago) that it’s Tornado Red, but I could be wrong.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #3131 on: 28 April 2022, 11:03 »

I can vaguely remember seeing somewhere (sorry, don’t know where - it was a few years ago) that it’s Tornado Red, but I could be wrong.

You used it yourself in 2016 and said it was a good match. Only know because I did a search recently because of chips on the
calipers and found your post. :laugh:
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #3132 on: 28 April 2022, 13:27 »

You used it yourself in 2016 and said it was a good match. Only know because I did a search recently because of chips on the

Ha, ha. So that’s how I vaguely remembered it…………..because it was me! :grin:
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk

Offline Bluto

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3133 on: 28 April 2022, 17:33 »

Ha, ha. So that’s how I vaguely remembered it…………..because it was me! :grin:

This made me smile!  Car maintenance amnesia, hope it wasn't an overdose of the Tornado Red's vapour from the aerosol can that caused the memory loss! :grin:

Wallet was given a second rinsing today.  The Mk6 she knows the Mk8 is on her way (at some point  :rolleyes:).  £10 windscreen chip repair to fix Tuesday's gift from the Audi A3, fair play on that.  Got to the bottom of the engine bay clunking when travelling at low speeds over bumpy (or is that just normal) British roads.  Mechanic showed me significant play in the nearside front drop link.  Got both the NSF and OSF ones replaced and car tracking redone.  Clunking has now gone  :cool: as has 200 notes from my wallet. :cry:
Mk6 GTI | Candy White | Manual | DCC | Dynaudio | Cruise | Winter Pack | Lux Pack | Rear Camera & F/R Parking Sensors

Mk8 GTI Clubsport | Pure White | DCC | Black Estorils | HUD | a fair few options

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #3134 on: 29 April 2022, 18:24 »
how I vaguely remembered it…………..because it was me! :grin:
:grin: :grin:  :grin:
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Bluto

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3135 on: 11 May 2022, 18:52 »
GTI survived its 194k mile service today.  A couple of things to sort including a worn alternator belt (which could still be the vehicle's original) and a slight internal vacuum leak on the brake servo. That at present is not affecting the car's brake performance, but I will continue to keep an eye on it.  I'm sure I will end up getting that fixed before the Mk8 arrives, whenever that's going to be :tongue:.

« Last Edit: 11 May 2022, 20:21 by Bluto »
Mk6 GTI | Candy White | Manual | DCC | Dynaudio | Cruise | Winter Pack | Lux Pack | Rear Camera & F/R Parking Sensors

Mk8 GTI Clubsport | Pure White | DCC | Black Estorils | HUD | a fair few options

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #3136 on: 11 May 2022, 19:53 »
GTI survived its 194k mile service today.  A couple of things to sort including a worn alternator belt (which could still be the vehicle's original) and a slight internal vacuum leak on the brake servo. That at present is not affecting brake performance but I will continue to keep an eye on.  I'm sure I will end up getting that fixed before the Mk8 arrives, whenever that's going to be :tongue:.

That is amazing. Obviously well maintained. I am suffering from rattles which I think comes from the rear doors area but not able to find them at present. Just wondered if yours had suffered from any squeaks or rattles and if so where and how did you sort them.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline Bluto

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3137 on: 11 May 2022, 20:19 »
GTI survived its 194k mile service today.  A couple of things to sort including a worn alternator belt (which could still be the vehicle's original) and a slight internal vacuum leak on the brake servo. That at present is not affecting brake performance but I will continue to keep an eye on.  I'm sure I will end up getting that fixed before the Mk8 arrives, whenever that's going to be :tongue:.

That is amazing. Obviously well maintained. I am suffering from rattles which I think comes from the rear doors area but not able to find them at present. Just wondered if yours had suffered from any squeaks or rattles and if so where and how did you sort them.

I'd say my wallet is well oiled too! But yes I look after her.  As for rattles and squeaks yes I've had a few Joe6:

• Squeak/chirp that sounds like it's coming from the top of passenger A-pillar trim, was actually the rear seat back rests not being fully pushed back and clipped in (oops).
  • Squeak/rattle that sounded like it was coming from the top of the dash - was actually the sun visors, slightly compressing the visor between finger and thumb and it temporarily fixed it.
  • The infamous 65+ MPH rattle that drove me insane for months last year, initially appeared to be coming from the bottom of the passenger foot well at the base of the A-pillar.  This one drove me nuts as dead on 65 MPH it would manifest.  After stripping most of the dash, passenger seat, door cards etc out to no avail.  Turns out it was the exterior underbody plastic cladding/front wheel arch liner that had come out of alignment and needed realigning/positioning.
  • Think I also had a squeak that was down to the rubberised parcel shelf prongs rubbing in their locators on each side of the boot
« Last Edit: 11 May 2022, 20:29 by Bluto »

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #3138 on: 11 May 2022, 20:24 »

Unwanted interior squeaks, vibrations and rattles can be difficult to track down. The rear seat backrest latches are a known cause of rattles, and that could be mistaken for rattling from the rear doors if you’re listening from the drivers seat while driving.

An easy and inexpensive fix for the rattling rear seat back rest that many have used is to wrap some electrical insulating tape around the metal loops that the seat backrest latches onto. The tape eliminates any free play between the latches and the loop, so stops the rattling noises.
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #3139 on: 12 May 2022, 13:27 »

I'd say my wallet is well oiled too! But yes I look after her.  As for rattles and squeaks yes I've had a few Joe6:

• Squeak/chirp that sounds like it's coming from the top of passenger A-pillar trim, was actually the rear seat back rests not being fully pushed back and clipped in (oops).
  • Squeak/rattle that sounded like it was coming from the top of the dash - was actually the sun visors, slightly compressing the visor between finger and thumb and it temporarily fixed it.
  • The infamous 65+ MPH rattle that drove me insane for months last year, initially appeared to be coming from the bottom of the passenger foot well at the base of the A-pillar.  This one drove me nuts as dead on 65 MPH it would manifest.  After stripping most of the dash, passenger seat, door cards etc out to no avail.  Turns out it was the exterior underbody plastic cladding/front wheel arch liner that had come out of alignment and needed realigning/positioning.
  • Think I also had a squeak that was down to the rubberised parcel shelf prongs rubbing in their locators on each side of the boot
Heads up much appreciated. Already done the rear seats and parcel shelf but no difference. Wheel arch linings refitted after checking for rust before the MOT. Will check all plastic covers under the body before starting on the door cards!
Code: [Select]