Author Topic: Sunroof  (Read 1139 times)

Offline TaksGTI

• Just got here
Sunroof
« on: 22 June 2021, 21:32 »
Hi,

Hope everyone is well.
Just a query… recently picked up a 2018 GTI PP with a “panoramic” sunroof.
On my previous car (seat Ibiza FR sport) with the same sunroof toggle, when the sunroof is fully open I could tilt it from the open position, with this I can only tilt it from the sunroof closed.
Is this right?

I’ve tried to reset it by opening holding it for 5 seconds then closing but that doesn’t do anything.
Thanks in advance.

Offline DCmk3

• Here all the time
Re: Sunroof
« Reply #1 on: 23 June 2021, 13:18 »
That is normal, the sunroof only tilts up when it is in the "closed" position, not when it is open and "above" the roof.

2014 Mk7 GTI - Littco L500

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 23 June 2021, 13:32 »
It’s over 20 years ago since I had a car with a sunroof - prior to that I’ve owned seven cars with sunroofs and they all had two open positions - either tilted up at the rear edge when the panel was closed, or the panel fully open.

Maybe I’m missing something obvious, but I’m struggling to see what benefit there might be from a third setting with (presumably) the rear edge of the panel being able to tilt upwards when the panel’s open and above the roof.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline TaksGTI

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 23 June 2021, 13:47 »
thanks for the above responses
It was more to ask if it’s normal as my previous car could tilt from the open so thought that it may have been an issue.

Online jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 23 June 2021, 14:35 »
What was your previous car?
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 23 June 2021, 16:08 »
Maybe I’m missing something obvious, but I’m struggling to see what benefit there might be from a third setting with (presumably) the rear edge of the panel being able to tilt upwards when the panel’s open and above the roof.
Is it a DRS wing?😀
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Online sjw

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 23 June 2021, 16:19 »
What was your previous car?

Seat Ibiza, says in the OP

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 23 June 2021, 16:51 »
Is it a DRS wing?😀

Looking at the YouTube video of the Golf’s sunroof in operation (link below), it has the little pop up (drag reduction system) ‘wing’ at the front of the sunroof aperture when the roof panel is open. The current model Ibiza also has this. I don’t think it is this that the OP is referring to though.

Video clip is of a mk7 sunroof, rather than a mk7.5. The OP has a mk7.5 but the sunroof design is the same, whether the car is a mk7 or mk7.5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPTzW841pic
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 23 June 2021, 20:07 »
Is it a DRS wing?😀

Looking at the YouTube video of the Golf’s sunroof in operation (link below), it has the little pop up (drag reduction system) ‘wing’ at the front of the sunroof aperture when the roof panel is open. The current model Ibiza also has this. I don’t think it is this that the OP is referring to though.

Video clip is of a mk7 sunroof, rather than a mk7.5. The OP has a mk7.5 but the sunroof design is the same, whether the car is a mk7 or mk7.5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPTzW841pic

It's where you have the sunroof fully open then deem it not sunny enough or it starts raining but still want fresh air into the cabin.

So on most other cars you only have to push the sunroof button up which would close it and then tilt it open automatically. Versus on the mk7 Golf you push the button forward to close it then wait for it to fully close, then to have to push up to open the tilt feature.

OP is wondering why it has been poorly designed but other cheaper price point VAG range cars haven't.

Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 23 June 2021, 20:14 »
@willni; thanks for the explanation. I understand where the OP is coming from now.
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk