Author Topic: Detailing Starter Kit?  (Read 3337 times)

Offline bodz

• Not said much yet
Detailing Starter Kit?
« on: 20 July 2020, 11:27 »
I have found myself lately addicted to watching detailing videos and running out and cleaning the car. With anything however, without the right tools can't really do much. So my question to everyone... Anyone recommend a decent detailing starter kit?

I have Jet Wash and snow foam for the outside so far.
I want buckets, soaps, wax, clay bars etc. There's just so many on the market and price point's vary hugely.

Interior I'm not too fussed about but if you have something amazing then it'd be nice to hear.

Bodz
VW GTD MK7 - Oryx White

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: Detailing Starter Kit?
« Reply #1 on: 20 July 2020, 14:52 »
Worth having a read of the ‘Rebecca’s Guide to Detailing’, which is a ‘sticky’ at the top of this forum board - link below;

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=277318.0

I’m not aware of a detailing starter kit, but for the basic essentials to wash the car I’d recommend you get a couple of good buckets with grit guards, a lambs wool wash mitt, a separate wash mitt and or wheel brush for the wheels and some good plush microfibre drying towels (suggest three as a minimum - one won’t be enough) and a decent ph neutral car shampoo. A couple of detailing brushes would also be useful for getting into those hard to clean nooks and crannies - e.g. grilles, door shuts, inside the fuel filler flap etc.

There’s a long list of items in the ‘sticky’. However, IMO not all of these are essential if your immediate  priority is washing the car and you’re starting from scratch. You can always add items such as wax, sealant, tyre dressing, microfibre buffing cloths etc. to your detailing kit over time.

The ‘sticky’ also includes links to various detailing websites. Also worth checking out the ‘Detailing - special offer spotting’ sticky, which gives details of discounts / discount codes that forum members are aware of.

If you are new - or relatively new to detailing, it’s also worth having a read of the first couple of posts in this thread over on Detailing World at the link below;

https://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=4637

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline bodz

• Not said much yet
Re: Detailing Starter Kit?
« Reply #2 on: 20 July 2020, 15:24 »
Worth having a read of the ‘Rebecca’s Guide to Detailing’, which is a ‘sticky’ at the top of this forum board - link below;

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=277318.0

I’m not aware of a detailing starter kit, but for the basic essentials to wash the car I’d recommend you get a couple of good buckets with grit guards, a lambs wool wash mitt, a separate wash mitt and or wheel brush for the wheels and some good plush microfibre drying towels (suggest three as a minimum - one won’t be enough) and a decent ph neutral car shampoo. A couple of detailing brushes would also be useful for getting into those hard to clean nooks and crannies - e.g. grilles, door shuts, inside the fuel filler flap etc.

There’s a long list of items in the ‘sticky’. However, IMO not all of these are essential if your immediate  priority is washing the car and you’re starting from scratch. You can always add items such as wax, sealant, tyre dressing, microfibre buffing cloths etc. to your detailing kit over time.

The ‘sticky’ also includes links to various detailing websites. Also worth checking out the ‘Detailing - special offer spotting’ sticky, which gives details of discounts / discount codes that forum members are aware of.

If you are new - or relatively new to detailing, it’s also worth having a read of the first couple of posts in this thread over on Detailing World at the link below;

https://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=4637

That is really helpful! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Time to make a list of products and save up...

Bodz