Author Topic: Adblue?  (Read 11783 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Adblue?
« on: 16 July 2019, 21:55 »
The latest GTD (WLTP) uses adblue does it not?

I assume that the Mk8 will too...

I've never had an oil burner that uses it.

How much does it cost? How many miles do you get from a tank of adblue? Is it a pain in the butt?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: Adblue?
« Reply #1 on: 17 July 2019, 06:31 »
How many miles you get depends on how many miles you drive. My Tiguan r line had ad blue and it was only a pain to refill because the filler was in the boot. Newer cars have the ad blue next to diesel filler cap. In theory you can go between services without filling up in reality you won't. Plenty of service stations now have ad blue for sale at the pump or you can buy it in bottles. I bought my stuff from tps but seeing as they are trade only now eBay might be worth a try. Oh and it's not pigs wee either before anyone tells you it is  :grin:
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 17 July 2019, 07:37 »
So its thousands of miles, not hundreds to a adblue refill?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 17 July 2019, 18:13 »
Definitely thousands Fred not hundreds 👍

Offline indigofever

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 18 July 2019, 14:25 »
I've gone through 10L in 11k miles, so I think 1L/1000 miles currently. I do 40-45k a year, so I'll let you know if it changes!

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 18 July 2019, 15:56 »
How many litres in the tank? Do you get any indication of level or just a warning light when its empty?

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 18 July 2019, 16:30 »
I have no experience with the stuff in VW’s but have around 40 vehicles parked in the yard at work that drink the stuff.
The lorries get through a fair bit but in the smaller vans a tankful lasts quite a while.
Although not pig pee anymore it can and does still leave a white crystal type residue if you spill it.
The exhaust needs to be properly hot for it to work and there’s minimal visible exhaust fumes when it’s woeking properly. Good for shiny tailpipes is think!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 18 July 2019, 17:17 »
I've gone through 10L in 11k miles, so I think 1L/1000 miles currently. I do 40-45k a year, so I'll let you know if it changes!
if those are motorway miles then it'll use less ad blue. It's all down to driving conditions and no two amounts of ad blue will give you the same miles. Don't spill any on your paintwork either 👍

Offline hepton

• Not said much yet
  • 2017 GTD
« Reply #8 on: 18 July 2019, 21:46 »
it only adds a few drops per full tank of fuel ..so should last a while , (well it does in the cars we build not to sure about vw)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 19 July 2019, 06:33 »
it only adds a few drops per full tank of fuel ..so should last a while , (well it does in the cars we build not to sure about vw)
it depends on what driving conditions the car is under!