Author Topic: £50 to the forum member who can identify this rattle correctly  (Read 9558 times)

Offline Upgradethishuman

• Just got here
Hi guys,

Bought a 2014 GTD about 3 weeks ago from a dealer (Sparshatts Baddesley, Southampton) and heard a rattle ON THE TEST DRIVE.  Asked the salesperson about it, and he said it was the cardboard Sales information on the dash.  Thought that was a bit weird, questioned it a bit more, and was assured it would be looked at before I returned to pick up the car.

Returned to pick up the car and, surprisingly, it hadn't been looked at.  Again assured it was probably just the cardboard (?) but, should it still be a problem, they'd repair it quickly and all would be well with the world.  I know this sounds stupid.  Anyway, forked over my £14,000 and.... still rattling.  Called the sales person, given a number for their servicing/mechanic guys.  Called, and asked to book into a local garage to get it looked at.

In the meantime, I googled the issue and it looked relatively simple (insulate soundaktor, all will be OK)...

My local garage followed the instructions I'd found online, and insulated the soundaktor.  Rattle still present.  They then deactivated the soundaktor and the noise COMPLETELY vanished (I like the sound of the soundaktor so I'd like to keep it on if possible though).  They then checked a load of other likely culprits, which I've repeated ad nauseum -

- drove around holding various parts of the dash, the trim, the pillar, the speakers, the windscreen, mirror housings, sun screens, vents, buttons, clocks.

- replaced the soundaktor with a new unit from VW

Today (again) I've taken the wipers off, re-insulated the (new) soundaktor, checked everything else I could possibly find in the engine bay that MIGHT make a rattling noise, and.... still rattling.

I'm at my wits end.

Today my local garage have called me asking me to get in contact with the servicing department at Sparshatts because they're not returning their calls for payment for the new soundaktor (frustrating) and Sparshatts couldn't get me booked in for them to even look at it until early June.  At this stage my local garage is saying it's not the soundaktor but something rattling IN the dash (so it's louder when the soundaktor is vibrating it?), so the dealer are going to have to REMOVE the dash, and start looking/replacing components trying to problem solve.  I'm worried they'll break other parts trying to get the dash out and back in again, plus I'll be without (my) car for an unknown amount of time.

At this point I just want to drive my new car, in sport, without my music blasting so as to drown out the awful rattling noise.

To that end, I'm putting a little bounty on this... £50 to the forum member who can diagnose/help me fix this problem.

Here's a video (don't worry, wasn't me filming) of the noise.  It's noticable in Drive (as well as Sport) but nowhere near as loud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t58cIy-TmKI

I'm serious about the £50 btw.  I can only give it to one person but I'll be OVERJOYED to hand it over if someone can help me :(

Thanks in advance,

JP
« Last Edit: 10 May 2019, 19:01 by Upgradethishuman »

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Hi there JP, rattles are a pita aren't they?! Unfortunately these cars from my experience and reading about others can develop rattles all over the place. Have you looked at the sun visors? They are a common problem, the passenger one in mine rattles loads, or it did until I 'fixed' it with a tissue! Easy way to check is just to open both. When mine started it sounded like it was coming from the dash and being close to the screen, could be aggravated by the soundaktor being on.

Good luck with resolving it :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Upgradethishuman

• Just got here
Hey!  Thanks so much for replying.  My girlfriend is getting annoyed with me, I've turned into a person who just "keeps popping out to see if I can sort it" and spending hours driving around trying various fixes :P  I've JUST BEEN OUT AGAIN and actually checked the visors for the 20th time... it's not them, wah! :(

It sounds like it's coming from the instrument cluster... or the right speaker in the pillar.  It's honestly one of the most frustrating things I've ever experienced in my life, haha.

Thanks again!

JP

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Check the plastic cover cap behind the rear view mirror and also check the plastic trims under the steering column. Knee airbag is prone to rattle which I thought mine was so I removed all the trim panels and toughened up all the screws on the airbag unit. I think it was actually the piece of plastic trim that fits round the obd port that was rattling but since I've refitted everything (touch wood) it's been ok.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
or the right speaker in the pillar

I had one that seemed to be coming from there, drove me potty for hours on a long drive from a holiday once but hasn't done it since :rolleyes:

Could you not just sacrifice the soundaktor for the peace and quiet? Seems preferable than having all the dash removed and refitted. You never know with it switched off for a week or two you might not miss it.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Upgradethishuman

• Just got here
Check the plastic cover cap behind the rear view mirror and also check the plastic trims under the steering column. Knee airbag is prone to rattle which I thought mine was so I removed all the trim panels and toughened up all the screws on the airbag unit. I think it was actually the piece of plastic trim that fits round the obd port that was rattling but since I've refitted everything (touch wood) it's been ok.

Checked the rear view, no luck :(  Also the steering column plastic, changed steering wheel position, repeated (3x)... no luck :(

Could be airbag unit... not sure I'm 100% confident tinkering around with that though.  That's a possibility.

Thanks pal

Offline Upgradethishuman

• Just got here
or the right speaker in the pillar

I had one that seemed to be coming from there, drove me potty for hours on a long drive from a holiday once but hasn't done it since :rolleyes:

Could you not just sacrifice the soundaktor for the peace and quiet? Seems preferable than having all the dash removed and refitted. You never know with it switched off for a week or two you might not miss it.

It looks like I might have to consider that :(  It's such a bummer.  I know a lot of people don't like the soundaktor noise but I absolutely LOVE it! :)  Maybe preferable to letting them strip the whole dash off though :(

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
The soundaktor is mounted to a bracket which on the MK7 is known to rattle and reverb through to the soundaktor when active. Have you tried the trick of removing the soundaktor unit (under the bonnet and cowling) and then remounting with thick padded tape between the nuts/bracket and the soundaktor unit?
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Upgradethishuman

• Just got here
The soundaktor is mounted to a bracket which on the MK7 is known to rattle and reverb through to the soundaktor when active. Have you tried the trick of removing the soundaktor unit (under the bonnet and cowling) and then remounting with thick padded tape between the nuts/bracket and the soundaktor unit?

Hey, thanks for the reply.

Yes, my local garage insulated (both sides of the bracket) with a little rubber 'o', and yesterday I took it off and re-mounted with several layers of felt anti-rattle tape.  No dice unfortunately :(

Offline Upgradethishuman

• Just got here
I'm in Basingstoke so if anyone is local or (even kind of local) and has a lot of experience with these cars, I'm happy to drive out to you.  Yes, I'm that desperate. Haha :)