Author Topic: new to forum/mk5 gtd advice  (Read 14083 times)

Offline just_shay

• Just got here
new to forum/mk5 gtd advice
« on: 27 July 2015, 12:28 »
Hey.. I'm new to the forum and was just seeking some advice.. I'm looking on getting a mk5 gtd manual. Most cars have an average of 120,000 miles on clock. What should I look out for in terms of cambelts being changed.. my last car died because I didn't change it in time... help please??

Offline N900 MJT

• I live here
Re: new to forum/mk5 gtd advice
« Reply #1 on: 18 August 2015, 16:47 »
If you buy the car the first thing you should get done is the belt and waterpump, then at least you know exactly when it was done!

the only time I wouldn't do that is there is actual proof that it was done recently (6 months)

Offline holdk2

• Just got here
Re: new to forum/mk5 gtd advice
« Reply #2 on: 17 January 2021, 18:56 »
You can still get MK5 with relatively low mileage just look for one with full service history preferably main dealer but that could be pipe dream. but service history is good.
just make sure its had the cam belt/water pump replaced and if not the price should reflect this.

Make a note of how many owners the has had, higher the owners could possibly mean maintenance not being carried out.
general condition is a massive give away, for instance pull the seat-belt out and if it retracts of if own accord then that's plus point. if it stays out its being well used.
check all the tyres as this could be a big expense.
there's loads of stuff to look for TBH