Author Topic: advice on buying a golf  (Read 6658 times)

Offline Brother_J

• Not said much yet
  • mk2 gti 89
Re: advice on buying a golf
« Reply #20 on: 29 May 2003, 19:40 »
2 months ago I got my fist VW, it?s a gti mk2 8v G reg and the car I have always wanted. Its black (so lots of cleaning) all my previous cars I haven?t really cared for as they have been a means to an ends, getting for A to B. It coast me ?800 and has 88k on the clock, no mods, the alloys are in need of some attention and there is a little rust on the back end, but apart from that ?she is lovely? and a project. The point I?m trying to make is that I didn?t, not even for one second, consider a mk3. It didn?t enter my head, after reading the thread, I now know why. It could be an age thing but I just don?t like the looks on the later models they don?t seem to have as much character and my mk2 feels, sounds and handle like a car bloody well should. O and it had its MOT today; I was like a cat on a hot black bonnet, or an expectant father. I needn?t of worried pasted no problem.

?Get a mk2 and show a bit of Charter, after all it is a classic?

Disclaimer: it has not been my intension to offend anyone and I apologise unreservedly if I have coursed any offence, but you do have to remember you bought it! ;D
« Last Edit: 01 January 1970, 01:00 by 1055631600 »

kniterider

Re: advice on buying a golf
« Reply #21 on: 30 May 2003, 00:12 »
oops, didnt want to start a war!, only stating my opinion, ive got nowt against mk2 golfs, (if had one and loved it) if some one is buying a golf with a loan etc all i want is for them to have a good deposit/trade in once its paid for in my eyes the mk3 golf gti falls into them books.im not knockin the mk2 i know there good cars , i mean if some one came to my yard and offered a mint mk2 1 owner with only 35,000 miles on the clock yeah id do em a good deal, but unless its like that spec it aint worth alot to a regular dealer. i buy and sell cars, i know enough as to how much stuff is worth therefore i think the mk3 is a better buy. The reason Ive just got me mk4 is that i know in years to come its resale value is worth more than a mk3, after all i was after a mk3 but this one came up at the right price(couldnt afford to miss, and love the car to bits!). So sorry if yall out there dont agree but ive bin there dont that with the boy racer type thing, standard cars are worth more and are the better buy for future resale. hope i havent offened any mk2 owner owt there but for the price hes willing to pay its worth buying something thats worth more in the future.

Gaz

sorry for the big write up again just offering my opinion, like i always say go with your heart, this normally will over rule any sensible options!
« Last Edit: 01 January 1970, 01:00 by 1055631600 »

Offline jonny boy

• Not said much yet
Re:advice on buying a golf
« Reply #22 on: 21 June 2003, 10:45 »
first things first , tell your mate (in a nice way, of course!) with the poxy sr he's talking rubbush. a mate of mine had a 1.4 sr and it was pants. my gti used to eat his sr for breakfast!!

as far as buying a motor is concerned, i reckon the mk2 is a could bet. theres still loads of good examples knocking around at a reasonable price. they're also cheap to maintain in my opinion. check out autotrader.co.uk .i wouldn't even entertain the thought of a mk3!! another thought though would be to get a mk1 (the best of all the gti's!!!). i reckon you could pick a nice one up with the sort of money you've got. and the added bonus is you probably would'nt loose any money on it when reselling it in the future.

hope it gets you thinking. (mk1,mk1.mk1!!)