Author Topic: advice on buying a golf  (Read 6657 times)

Offline sijunior

• GTI forum regular
  • GTI 20V Turbo
Re: advice on buying a golf
« Reply #10 on: 22 May 2003, 21:27 »
I'm with MO3000 on this one,

I can't see your standard MK2 being qiucker than a VR6  :-/,
I'd like to see how long it would last against my 1.8T :-*
« Last Edit: 01 January 1970, 01:00 by 1055631600 »

Offline 87_PROJECT

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 23 May 2003, 03:29 »
It was round a track....a tight track!!!...I would never keep up with a vr6 in a straight line...

...:P driver skill?...or driver lunacy...:P

One or the other....!

Apparently hes going for a mk2...so a little bird tells me...

Offline tinman

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 23 May 2003, 16:00 »
I'm with MO3000 on this one,

I can't see your standard MK2 being qiucker than a VR6 ?:-/,
I'd like to see how long it would last against my 1.8T :-*

I can't see a 16v taking on a VR6.

But as for your 1.8T, can't see you destroying a mint Mk2 16v as easily as you think.

I know a 15yo 16v that gave a TT (180) a very rough time recently. Not meant to happen - but it did. Reduced the TT driver to tears.

Can't help feeling that 87's 16v shouldn't be taken too lightly.

Regards,
Justin

Offline sijunior

• GTI forum regular
  • GTI 20V Turbo
« Reply #13 on: 24 May 2003, 02:04 »
My 1.8T is going in to Jaba very soon to be chiped to
240bhp, as well as a few other mods to sort the handling and breaking. ;)
Selling my MK3 To pay for it, ?3000 should do it what do you reckon

Offline 8vgti

• Here all the time
« Reply #14 on: 27 May 2003, 20:13 »

Damn right.

?It depends what your after, the Mk2 is the best drive and cheaper to run as regards parts and insurance.

Although the Mk3 is a dog, it is a more civilized car for motorway use and far better in regards to spec, (just look at most Mk2 GTI 8V's. (I mean 'keep fit' windows, nice seats and a rev counter? if you were half asleep you'd think you had steped into a 1.3, not the'Uber hatch' of the '80s.).

Just don't try to prove anything in Mk3 unless you have done serious amounts of tuning. You will only be upset when a 1.4 Focus pulls cleanly away from you as you wrestle the damn thing, withs its frankly S**t dampning round your favourite left hander.

?I've been left for dead in my misses 16V Mk3 on corners by far sh!ttr machines than i care to mention (Toyota Avensis, 1.8 GX anyone?) due to the thing bobbing around like a pissed horse, and than was with bilstein suspension.......... Oh the embarassment!

Yeah f**k it,

Get a Mk2.
;)

Mo3000,

If you can get your arse kicked by a Toyota Avensis or a 1.4 Focus it doesnt say much for your driving or in fact your car. 8v Mk3s might be heavy but give them a bit more credit than that!!

Each to their own I know but c'mon. >:(

Offline tinman

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 28 May 2003, 14:09 »
8v Mk3s might be heavy but give them a bit more credit than that!!

If we are talking 8v GTI Mk3s, then no, I wouldn't give them any credit at all.

If you were a Mk2 Golf owner when the Mk3 came out and read the articles, test drove the car, it quickly became apparent that the Mk3 was a travesty.

Everyone - and I mean everyone - felt that the 16v Mk3 was on a par with the 8v Mk2 GTi, whilst the 8v GTI Mk3 should of said "GL".

The odd surprise was the VR6 which we test drove which was disgracefully fast and certainly deserved the crown of "King of hot hatches" that it took from the Mk2 16v GTI.

Justin

mo3000

« Reply #16 on: 28 May 2003, 20:23 »

Mo3000,

If you can get your arse kicked by a Toyota Avensis or a 1.4 Focus it doesnt say much for your driving or in fact your car. 8v Mk3s might be heavy but give them a bit more credit than that!!

Each to their own I know but c'mon. >:(

In the wet, 205/16's, bad road surface. Aquaplaning...... i could go on.

In the wet on the same road in  the Mk2:

No problems, Except the tram lining that all mk2's suffer from........ but much quicker with less tendancy to body roll ( well, i suppose a Mk3 does weigh more than your mother but who am I to judge?), less body roll, less tendancy to spin the inside front.

Case dismissed.
;D

kniterider

« Reply #17 on: 29 May 2003, 01:26 »
wouldnt know what to tell ya, ive had a mk2 8v minter h reg 1 owner low milege all that crap but it was nothing compared with me new 1.8 20v (non turbo), ive test driven a load of mk3s and was gonna get one before this mk4 came up at the right price, i know every ones been on here slagging off mk3s but if your thinking of keepin it for a while id go for a mk3 there more modern lookin, a safer car, not that bad on insurance (mk2 have still got the car thief bad boy image), thats my opinion, i may get slagged off for tellin ya so but as a part time car dealer for resale values your gona get more for a mk3 in years to come than a mk2, even if ya tune it up wheels , exhaust, etc just keep all ya standard bits for when ya want to get rid it will be worth more standard than a boy racer mobile!, people like standard cars m8, its all down to personal taste how you wanna tune em and dress em, you get more in the future buy sellin ya bits and sellin the car standard than ya do sellin em max'd up! its not all about performance its about how ya drive em, yeah a mk3 2ltr 8v is only 115bhp and a mk2 16v is 136bhp but if youve got more bollocks than the bloke in the mk2 youre gonna have im, mk3 handlin aint up to a hot mk2 but for a few hundred quid you can sort that. Ive got a t reg mk4 1.8 20v (non turbo) its only 125 bhp standard yeah its not a turbo but hey , its only group 10 insurance! get that GROUP 10, cheaper than me mondeo that i changed it for, yeah its not pull ya face off performance but it looks good handles well and if ya time it right you can beat a lot of cars from the lightds! ( by the way i race susuki gsxr1100 drag bikes) alot of it is down to reaction times at the lights m8 not what your packin, yeah if your packin a 2.5ltr twin turbo jobbie gainst a 1.8 8v your gonna have a bit of bother but if you pitch a standard mk2/mk3 8v at the lights m8 its down to the driver not the car, so its up to you sorry to boe you with my opinion, but im sick of people slaggin mk3 golfs off, for the money you cant buy better, buy a mk3 over a mk2 that my opinion, there the better car for your money and cheaper to insure no matter what your age, or if ya can get more funds, try what ive just got a mk4 1.8 20v (non turbo) as its only group 10!!!!!  less than a 1.8lx modeo!!!

hope this may help, the decision is yours, know what id choose, but go with your heart!

PS all volkswagen spares are cheap, dont think by buying a mk2 parts will be cheaper cause mk3 parts are just as cheap!

Offline ddubya

• Not said much yet
quid
« Reply #18 on: 29 May 2003, 01:32 »
whats all this about mk2 golfs not as nice as a mk3 ,the mk2 is as closeley matched in performance&looks to the original mk1 gti than any of the other mk,s avaliable,if you want a lardy boring looking gti then go ahead an enjoy your mile munchin mk3 but lets face it whats the point of getting a so called golf gti if a cav 2ltr gli will wipe the floor with you and also be full of toys. as for reliability iv,e had 2 mk2 gti,s my previous one had 148k on the clock and never missed a beat, cost me 700 quid and when i got it dynoed the engine was as new ie compression ,emissoins etc i only got rid becuase i fell for my current gti h reg 100k and solid ,these cars were built to last so as long as you have a good look&listen when your buying you should have no probs.

Offline 8vgti

• Here all the time
« Reply #19 on: 29 May 2003, 16:55 »
wouldnt know what to tell ya, ive had a mk2 8v minter h reg 1 owner low milege all that crap but it was nothing compared with me new 1.8 20v (non turbo), ive test driven a load of mk3s and was gonna get one before this mk4 came up at the right price, i know every ones been on here slagging off mk3s but if your thinking of keepin it for a while id go for a mk3 there more modern lookin, a safer car, not that bad on insurance (mk2 have still got the car thief bad boy image), thats my opinion, i may get slagged off for tellin ya so but as a part time car dealer for resale values your gona get more for a mk3 in years to come than a mk2, even if ya tune it up wheels , exhaust, etc just keep all ya standard bits for when ya want to get rid it will be worth more standard than a boy racer mobile!, people like standard cars m8, its all down to personal taste how you wanna tune em and dress em, you get more in the future buy sellin ya bits and sellin the car standard than ya do sellin em max'd up! its not all about performance its about how ya drive em, yeah a mk3 2ltr 8v is only 115bhp and a mk2 16v is 136bhp but if youve got more bollocks than the bloke in the mk2 youre gonna have im, mk3 handlin aint up to a hot mk2 but for a few hundred quid you can sort that. Ive got a t reg mk4 1.8 20v (non turbo) its only 125 bhp standard yeah its not a turbo but hey , its only group 10 insurance! get that GROUP 10, cheaper than me mondeo that i changed it for, yeah its not pull ya face off performance but it looks good handles well and if ya time it right you can beat a lot of cars from the lightds! ( by the way i race susuki gsxr1100 drag bikes) alot of it is down to reaction times at the lights m8 not what your packin, yeah if your packin a 2.5ltr twin turbo jobbie gainst a 1.8 8v your gonna have a bit of bother but if you pitch a standard mk2/mk3 8v at the lights m8 its down to the driver not the car, so its up to you sorry to boe you with my opinion, but im sick of people slaggin mk3 golfs off, for the money you cant buy better, buy a mk3 over a mk2 that my opinion, there the better car for your money and cheaper to insure no matter what your age, or if ya can get more funds, try what ive just got a mk4 1.8 20v (non turbo) as its only group 10!!!!! ?less than a 1.8lx modeo!!!

hope this may help, the decision is yours, know what id choose, but go with your heart!

PS all volkswagen spares are cheap, dont think by buying a mk2 parts will be cheaper cause mk3 parts are just as cheap!

At last someone who talks sense!!!! ;D  The only MK2s worth having are late model big bumper jobbies, but I would have a Mk3 over them anytime.

If you want a boy racer car get a Mk2, if not get something newer.

All down to personal choice, but nothing like a good debate