Author Topic: Mk1 Karmen Offside Roofhandle  (Read 2469 times)

Offline Tonic

• Just got here
Mk1 Karmen Offside Roofhandle
« on: 24 June 2003, 23:15 »
Recently bought a Karmen, and need to find a drivers  side roof relaese handle as the one currently fitted is on the bridge of snapping.  The roof is perfect otherwise.
Anyone got any ideas on where I can source one from, I don't want to spend money on parts I don't need.
Cheers
Tonic

Offline tattyoldwagon

• Not said much yet
Re:Mk1 Karmen Offside Roofhandle
« Reply #1 on: 26 June 2003, 16:23 »
I had my near side snap not long ago and about a year before that the small hook snapped on the other side-so be gentle! As far as replacing goes VW dealer or second-hand/scrap are my only suggestions. I tried all the usual places Euro car parts/German and Swedish etc and they pointed at VW. The small hook part is about ?30 and the whole handle with hook attached was somewhere in the region of ?70 yes ?70 :o! Needless to say I have been very careful since. Just incase you hadn't already looked, it's very easy to change, just a few screws.

Offline Tonic

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 26 June 2003, 18:26 »
70 f***ing quid !!!!!!  :o do you reckon its possible to get it welded to strengthen it? ???
Also, is the drivers side supposed to have a release button on it because mine hasn't? ???
Cheers
Tonic

Offline JonnyT

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 26 June 2003, 22:21 »
Check ads in PVW and the golf mag, i think it's volks parts or GWC or someone do locking handles, so may aswell get a pair of them eh?! :)

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 27 June 2003, 07:27 »
70 f***ing quid !!!!!!  :o do you reckon its possible to get it welded to strengthen it? ???
Also, is the drivers side supposed to have a release button on it because mine hasn't? ???
Cheers
Tonic

I've only got a release button on the passenger side.

Offline a9wyn

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 29 June 2003, 19:30 »
i beleive GPC are the company your looking for i think i,ve seen the roof release handles for sale in their catalogue , check out their web site....www.gpcvwaudi.com/cabrio.htm   as for welding the original i don,t think it will take the strain of closing and locking the roof