Author Topic: The new Golf R 20 Years edition  (Read 15271 times)

Offline jaceyboy

• I live here
Re: The new Golf R 20 Years edition
« Reply #20 on: 22 June 2022, 13:45 »
What are they smoking over there at VW :grin:

MK7 GTi

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 22 June 2022, 15:05 »
Taking aside the blue wheel highlights and blue mirror caps on the white car which are both a bit marmite there is no difference externally to a standard R apart from a few badges
Internally apart from the carbon again they remain the same as a standard R
The other standard specification items on the R20 apart from the performance upgrade are all available as options on a standard R
Don’t see how then the opinion of it being designed by an 18 year old applies unless you think that of a standard R also
The point I was trying to put forward is - the extra bits are 18 year old 'design type stuff'.  :smiley:
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #22 on: 11 August 2022, 19:58 »
Are these “beautiful design classics” actually going to be released in the UK?

I’d kind of forgotten all about this unmissable anniversary model until earlier when a colleague of mine who I only see about twice a year came strutting up to me. Ordinarily I try and hide under my desk if I see him coming as he’s both annoyingly cheerful and boring, but this time he had me cornered.
He’s been threatening to buy a Golf R since I can remember and would often mention it when I had mine seven years ago or so. It’s not like he can’t afford one, he gets a new T6 every year or two.
Predictably the first words to come out of his mouth were Golf R related and had I heard about the 20th Anni.
I replied that I’d not heard them mentioned for a month or so and so we had a quick look on VW UK where there was no mention of it as available to order, then quickly over to VW.de and it seems like they’ve been open to ordering for a while in Germany.
Maybe by the next time I see him I’ll a) be quicker to get under my desk and b ) will know they’re open to order. But he still won’t order one, he’ll get another T6…
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Sean G

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #23 on: 11 August 2022, 20:20 »
Was in with my dealer last week and the email he had from VW was that’s they can order the demo cars in September and then October they are on general release

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #24 on: 11 August 2022, 20:48 »
Thanks Sean. :afro:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Ej1749

• GTI forum regular
  • Hey all! I may need some help.
« Reply #25 on: 12 August 2022, 10:06 »
I feel like the MK8 should be a 400BHP car standard or have the RS3 5 pot engine :laugh: :evil:... Especially, for the price! Just my opinion... or have an RS model with a 5 pot... best sounding engine on Earth! A few people have put a 5 pot in a MK7.5 and it just seems right.
GOLF GTD 65 MK7 STAGE 1

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #26 on: 12 August 2022, 12:41 »
What are they smoking over there at VW :grin:
:grin: I've thought this for a while now.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Carlosfandango

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #27 on: 13 August 2022, 10:27 »
I feel like the MK8 should be a 400BHP car standard or have the RS3 5 pot engine :laugh: :evil:... Especially, for the price! Just my opinion... or have an RS model with a 5 pot... best sounding engine on Earth! A few people have put a 5 pot in a MK7.5 and it just seems right.

Yeah I agree, I’ve been watching Innovative Motorsports videos for a while now, I’d happily own an RS3 swapped 7.5R (RSR), https://youtu.be/ytynWdtNqj0
Current car -
Mk8 GTI DSG, Kings Red, Pan Roof, Extended Winter Pack, Rear Camera, DCC, Adelaide Reps (CMWheels), Eibach Pro-Kit Springs.

Gone -
2020 BMW M135i xDrive, Storm Bay Metallic, Pan roof, Tech pack, Pro pack, Comfort pack,
👇see it here👇
https://youtu.be/j-4x9ZxehWU

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #28 on: 29 September 2022, 19:29 »
Time to empty your piggy banks

Akrapovic £3.5k extra according to coast2coast, no standard DCC either.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Davey-c

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #29 on: 29 September 2022, 20:58 »
Crazy money, especially considering the Aka and DCC are not included. Are the order books now open for the 20 years? Can’t seem to find it on VW UK configurator?
2023 Golf R 20 Years, Lapiz Blue, 19 Inch Black Estoril Alloys, Rear Camera, Harmon Kardon Sound System.