Author Topic: Any advice pplease  (Read 3642 times)

Relishy57

Any advice pplease
« on: 09 August 2021, 19:46 »
3 month old GTI, 1400 miles, today went in for a creaking rattling on near side front.
Garage has replaced a top mount and bearing.
Not picked car up yet as out of town until after garage closed.
Had one other visit for software upgrade to 1668;after a few issues.
Had a Mk 7 GTI pp for 5.5 years with very few problems.
I love the new car to drive but I am losing confidence in its reliability etc.
I do not have a PCP/ hire purchase etc.
Have others had this problem?
Any advice welcome please.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Any advice pplease
« Reply #1 on: 09 August 2021, 20:43 »
Seen a few top mounts replaced, whether it's actually a fault is questionable.

The software problems are well known, the list of faults is vast and the occurrences of them manifesting themselves is seemingly totally random.

Supposedly at some point in q4 this year a new release will fix them all  :grin: :grin:

If you believe that then I've got a bridge from London I'd like to sell you...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Relishy57

« Reply #2 on: 09 August 2021, 22:10 »
The software update did fix the issues I had for the  most part.  I can live with these and hopefully a fix will happen. But problems with suspension don’t seem right in a new car or am I being naive? These are not cars for just tootling along in.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 09 August 2021, 22:19 »
Fairly sure a similar number of mk7s had similar problems from new to be honest. Not much consolation to you I'll agree though. Fairly sure it's a one time fix though.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Acegadget

• Not said much yet
  • MK8 Clubsport Dolphin Grey
« Reply #4 on: 09 August 2021, 23:11 »
When I searched I found loads of people talking about MK7/7.5 and none on MK8 so I think problem is widespread. I think if mine go again I will replace with VW racing ones.
My software has been fine since update till yesterday when warning devices stopped again
Golf History 4 x MK2, 2 x MK3, 2 x MK4, 2 x MK5, 1 x MK6, 1 MK7 & MK8 Clubsport

Relishy57

« Reply #5 on: 10 August 2021, 10:45 »
Just picked car up. All quiet and driving like it did now the squeaking etc has gone.
The parts hadn’t “failed” but were replaced due to the squeaking. Fingers crossed that I don’t have any more problems.
Service department very obliging, full marks to them.

Offline buttons

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 12 August 2021, 15:40 »
I lost faith with mine months ago, I cant wait to replace it!
Every time there's an issue, the dealer doesn't know how to fix it and says they will speak to VW and come back to me with what was said - the last I heard from them was a couple of months ago so VW must be very slow at responding!  :grin:
MK8 GTi: Adelaide 19", DCC, Winter Pack, Rear Camera and sh!t loads of software issues! ;-)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 12 August 2021, 15:43 »
I think they've gone into full denial mode now.

They refuse to talk to me about the problems and the dealer doesn't have a clue how to fix them, just wastes time with my car there.

Basically VW need to sort their software out but when is the question....

I think I've got to the point where I won't buy another VW - not  because of teething issues but because of their lack of transparency and customer care.

Offline Toeman

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 12 August 2021, 16:09 »
I’m reading these issues that you are all having with the mark 8 I have a 7,5 pp and would certainly put me off even thinking of changing at this time hope you all get sorted

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 12 August 2021, 16:16 »
I think they've gone into full denial mode now.

They refuse to talk to me about the problems and the dealer doesn't have a clue how to fix them, just wastes time with my car there.

Basically VW need to sort their software out but when is the question....

I think I've got to the point where I won't buy another VW - not  because of teething issues but because of their lack of transparency and customer care.

Comments like this make me wonder if I’m doing the right thing changing. Diehard vw customers considering whether to buy another in the future. Worrying.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.