Author Topic: It's electric! ID3 Pickup.  (Read 6784 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: It's electric! ID3 Pickup.
« Reply #20 on: 12 May 2021, 08:19 »
I'll look this morning at that... I've got to have a look at it anyway as my dipping mirror has stopped dipping...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 12 May 2021, 09:41 »
I'll look this morning at that... I've got to have a look at it anyway as my dipping mirror has stopped dipping...

What does the MK8 wing mirror switchgear look like? Is it a click know that stays pointing at where you left it, or is is a free turning toggle switch like the ID3?

Such a daft little thing that could readily be resolved with a software update (toggle switch to remember it's last position). The only upside to that presumably is that you can't permanently leave the wing mirror heaters on, although there's a menu entry about timings for wing mirror defrosting.
« Last Edit: 12 May 2021, 10:41 by monkeyhanger »
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Si_Telford

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #22 on: 12 May 2021, 12:45 »

Don't know if I can remember but is there a covering on the door handle for the key lock, mine is showing but I've not see it before, I can't remember if there was a plastic insert in

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 12 May 2021, 13:24 »

Don't know if I can remember but is there a covering on the door handle for the key lock, mine is showing but I've not see it before, I can't remember if there was a plastic insert in

No, no cover; the lock on the exterior driver’s door handle on the mk8 is exposed.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Si_Telford

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #24 on: 12 May 2021, 13:56 »

Thanks I thought I was going mad 😂
No, no cover; the lock on the exterior driver’s door handle on the mk8 is exposed.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #25 on: 12 June 2022, 21:34 »
Just thought i'd update on my EV experience. Buoyed by the ridiculously high used prices of the ID3 and the Born Cupra having exclusive access to the e-boost variant of the electric drivetrain (230ps, 0-62 6.6s official, 6.1s unofficial, vs he ID3's 204ps, 0-62 7.3s official, 6.7s unofficial), as well as the crazy wait times to consider my next one. I'm swapping for a Born next week.

There's a bit of dealership stock coming through on the Cupra Born, leapfrogging bona-fide customer orders and intended to be demos, but the cash strapped dealers are actually selling them. I'm collecting my Glacier White (metallic white that doesn't look metallic in the slightest, just like my ID3) V2 spec (there's only V1s and V2s in the first wave of demos, V3s don't seem to be coming through) 230ps e-boost Cupra Born on Wednesday.

Here's the actual car (someone I know through the ID3 forum went to look at it in Twickenham):-

Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 12 June 2022, 21:53 »
IMHO the Cupra Born looks so much better to my eyes than the rather gawky looking ID.3.

It looks as if Cupra have also refrained from using cheap looking glossy piano black trim on the interior - I could never understand why VW used such an impractical (scratch and swirl, fingerprint and dust magnet) material for the ID.3 interior door pulls :whistle:.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 12 June 2022, 22:06 »
Like the look of that.

Have you sat in a Born, and how does it compare to the ID3?
7.5 GTD

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #28 on: 12 June 2022, 22:08 »
Be interested to hear what you think of the two back to back
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #29 on: 12 June 2022, 22:15 »
Congrats MH!  :cool:
What was it you said about the Born previously?  :whistle:
Love the look of them myself, spoke to a couple of dealers to price up an e-boost as my fuel bill is pushing toward £300 a month some months now but can’t face selling the GTI so it stays.
Will be keen to read more on what you think of it.
« Last Edit: 12 June 2022, 22:35 by Exonian »
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner