Author Topic: Best Wheel Cleaner for Diamond Cut  (Read 5660 times)

Jimmymature

Re: Best Wheel Cleaner for Diamond Cut
« Reply #10 on: 21 June 2012, 19:03 »
Yep smart wheels is acid free so no worrys with your wheels just stick to the dilution guides and you'll be fine.

I was a little concerned with this comment on their website.

"Not Suitable for Anodised or bare alloy surfaces" that suggests to me that there may be acid in it?

Jim
« Last Edit: 21 June 2012, 19:05 by Jimmymature »

Offline Dan J

• I live here
  • Pro Valeting and correcting paint since 95
« Reply #11 on: 21 June 2012, 19:54 »
Yep smart wheels is acid free so no worrys with your wheels just stick to the dilution guides and you'll be fine.

I was a little concerned with this comment on their website.

"Not Suitable for Anodised or bare alloy surfaces" that suggests to me that there may be acid in it?

Jim

Hence why I was asking in my first post if they are lacquered or not, smart wheels is non acidic ,its alkaline.
If your rims are mint with no corrosion and have lacquer over the diamond cut faces then smart wheels is fine diluted, as you seal your rims they won't need a strong mix of anything put on them if you keep ontop of the washes and protection.

I EAT CARNAUBA FLAKES FOR BREAKFAST!!!

Jimmymature

« Reply #12 on: 21 June 2012, 20:11 »
Great, thanks again for the advice.

Cheers,

Jim

Offline JonnyG

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 21 June 2012, 23:05 »
As Dan says, if you are already using Jetseal 109 and/or Rimwax there is really no need to use a wheel cleaner.   Just top up every month with a bit more sealant and use a gentle shampoo at wash time - works a treat & keeps the whiteworm away  :grin: :rolleyes: 
Current : Seat Cupra Lux, DSG, Magnetic Grey, Sept 2019
Gone :    Golf Mk 7 R, 5dr DSG, Pure White, March 2017
Gone :    Golf Mk 7 R, 5dr DSG, Tornado Red, March 2015
Gone :    Audi RS3, Daytona Grey, 7sp S-Tronic, Sept 2012
Gone :    Golf R, Rising Blue, 5dr DSG Mar 2010
Gone :    Golf R32, DBP, 5dr, DSG, Nov 2008
Gone :    Golf GTi ED30, Mar 2007

Offline scarr89

• I live here
  • Mk4 Golf, DERV FTW!
« Reply #14 on: 22 June 2012, 00:39 »
As Dan says, if you are already using Jetseal 109 and/or Rimwax there is really no need to use a wheel cleaner.   Just top up every month with a bit more sealant and use a gentle shampoo at wash time - works a treat & keeps the whiteworm away  :grin: :rolleyes: 

This. A good blast with the pressure washer normally gets most of the dirt of mine (3 coats of poorboys wheel sealant).

Are they lacquered?

IronX is better imo

Not specifically a wheel cleaner though. Purely for iron build up. I just use G101, spray it all over a wet wheel, give it a good scrub with a wheel cleaning brush and a mitt then rinse off. Works a treat for me  :wink:

I think the thing you want to worried about it getting the protection on your wheel correct in the first place. A well protected wheel will need minimal effort cleaning. Do you have any sort of protection on them? If so DJ SN wheel cleaner is meant to be a winner :afro:

Correct but I was refuring to ironX being a better product to go for over purple rain, it's ph neutral also. And too a point the majority of crap on a rim will be fallout from the brakes.

G101 can stain wheels,

And Scarr states the better your wheels are protected the easier they will be to clean and keep clean.
I use fk1000p to protect wheels.

Have they been lacquered or are they bare?

Didn't mean to jump down your throat there  :wink: We were both thinking the same thing  :grin:

Offline simonpolly

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 22 June 2012, 14:35 »
i wouldn't use G101 for diamond cut

have you thought about using AS SmartWheels?

Thanks Guy, is this ok to use on the MK6 diamond cut wheels?

Cheers,

Jim

i dont know why you need to use anything other than a good shampoo and wash mit,i find the monza`s dont really get that dirty :undecided:,i just wash them and occasionally wax them this seems to keep them looking pretty good.
Golfgti build quality is average at best.

Offline Dan J

• I live here
  • Pro Valeting and correcting paint since 95
« Reply #16 on: 22 June 2012, 23:43 »

This. A good blast with the pressure washer normally gets most of the dirt of mine (3 coats of poorboys wheel sealant).

Are they lacquered?

IronX is better imo

Not specifically a wheel cleaner though. Purely for iron build up. I just use G101, spray it all over a wet wheel, give it a good scrub with a wheel cleaning brush and a mitt then rinse off. Works a treat for me  :wink:

I think the thing you want to worried about it getting the protection on your wheel correct in the first place. A well protected wheel will need minimal effort cleaning. Do you have any sort of protection on them? If so DJ SN wheel cleaner is meant to be a winner :afro:

Correct but I was refuring to ironX being a better product to go for over purple rain, it's ph neutral also. And too a point the majority of crap on a rim will be fallout from the brakes.

G101 can stain wheels,

And Scarr states the better your wheels are protected the easier they will be to clean and keep clean.
I use fk1000p to protect wheels.

Have they been lacquered or are they bare?

Didn't mean to jump down your throat there  :wink: We were both thinking the same thing  :grin:

No probs mate :cool:
I EAT CARNAUBA FLAKES FOR BREAKFAST!!!

MonkeyP

« Reply #17 on: 26 June 2012, 22:28 »
for the shadow monza wheels would poorboy sealant be ok? want to get them sorted this weekend. Already got a noticeable mark on one wheel from a stone(which i know the sealant cant protect it against) and i dont want other marks from small particles.
« Last Edit: 26 June 2012, 22:35 by MonkeyP »

Offline JonnyG

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 28 June 2012, 19:41 »
for the shadow monza wheels would poorboy sealant be ok? want to get them sorted this weekend. [/quote

Yes, and keep it topped up regularly with fresh coats is the key  :smiley:
Current : Seat Cupra Lux, DSG, Magnetic Grey, Sept 2019
Gone :    Golf Mk 7 R, 5dr DSG, Pure White, March 2017
Gone :    Golf Mk 7 R, 5dr DSG, Tornado Red, March 2015
Gone :    Audi RS3, Daytona Grey, 7sp S-Tronic, Sept 2012
Gone :    Golf R, Rising Blue, 5dr DSG Mar 2010
Gone :    Golf R32, DBP, 5dr, DSG, Nov 2008
Gone :    Golf GTi ED30, Mar 2007

Offline Mr GTD

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 28 June 2012, 21:08 »
for the shadow monza wheels would poorboy sealant be ok? want to get them sorted this weekend. [/quote

Yes, and keep it topped up regularly with fresh coats is the key  :smiley:

I use the poorboys it's great stuff, such a manly colour too  :laugh:
Collected 1st March 17 - MK7 GTD 5dr DSG Pure White With Optional Extras - Tech Pack - Sports & Sound - Pan Roof - Tints - Leather