Author Topic: Volcanic Ash  (Read 4047 times)

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
Volcanic Ash
« on: 17 April 2010, 19:54 »
For vehicles:
Remove ash from your vehicle as soon as it is safe to do so. Prolonged exposure to volcanic ash and dust can damage the paint and glass.
Carefully wash the ash from your vehicle with a stream of water from a garden hose. Volcanic ash is very abrasive and can easily scratch your vehicle.
Never wipe, brush or mop the ash or dust that accumulates on your vehicle or windows.
Avoid prolonged driving in airborne or accumulated volcanic ash. Volcanic ash or dust can cause severe damage to your engine.
If your vehicle is exposed to volcanic ash, change your air filter and have your vehicle checked by a qualified auto mechanic as soon as possible.
Avoid using windshield wipers if at all possible as glass scratching may occur. Replace any windshield wiper blades that are damaged from the effects of the fallout.

in short, i wouldn't be 'blasting' the ash off... 'sheet' it off using a hose and then if you have it use snowfoam...

volcanic ash is pretty aggressive stuff by all accounts so easy as you go chaps  :wink:

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
Re: Volcanic Ash
« Reply #1 on: 17 April 2010, 20:47 »
Thanks for that guy  :smiley:

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

tisme

« Reply #2 on: 18 April 2010, 09:12 »
Both my cars have a brown haze to them today, looking closer I can actually see bits of sand/ glass it looks horrid I will try and get some photos later today, before I wash them... Think I'll be putting the mk2 inside after.  :angry:

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #3 on: 18 April 2010, 19:08 »
just spent 10 minutes with the hose sprinkling the car(s)

then snow foamed them twice,

then a good jet off afterwards

thank fook I aint on a water meter  :grin:

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 18 April 2010, 19:11 »
spent half an hour on the car earlier... gotta say the contamination was pretty horrid... machine polish in order me feels  :undecided:

Offline jeynesey

• I live here
  • Non VW but still VAG
« Reply #5 on: 18 April 2010, 19:16 »
just spent 10 minutes with the hose sprinkling the car(s)

then snow foamed them twice,

then a good jet off afterwards

thank fook I aint on a water meter  :grin:

Yeh its prettty sh!t when you are  :cry:
The day you see me in a diesel is the day there is no more petrol left :D

Need a web designer??  http://www.twostepmedia.co.uk/

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #6 on: 18 April 2010, 19:21 »
spent half an hour on the car earlier... gotta say the contamination was pretty horrid... machine polish in order me feels  :undecided:

thanks, when you coming round -  passat is overdue :afro:

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 18 April 2010, 19:35 »

thanks, when you coming round -  passat is overdue :afro:

when i get me rotary  :wink:

Offline VWKev

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 18 April 2010, 20:02 »
Mine has ash on it today, gave it a good clean and its looking fine again  :smiley:

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline VWKev

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 20 April 2010, 10:19 »
Getting sick and tired of it now, got up this morning after it was bucketing down last night to find my car covered in the crap. The car will get a good bath tonight, a nice little rub down and a good cuddle from me though  :smiley:

p.s. Does this ash eat away the wax layer ? I'm just wondering if its worthwhile using my Red Mist on it as a top up after washing it tonight ?