Author Topic: i got some superglue on my bonnet :(  (Read 4412 times)

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
Re: i got some superglue on my bonnet :(
« Reply #10 on: 07 September 2009, 10:08 »
How the hell have you got superglue on your bonnet.

Might be worth trying google as I'm sure someone else would have also done this  :evil:

Noticed this on halfrauds:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_185723_langId_-1_categoryId_165691#dtab

No idea if it will work on glue bonded to paintwork (or damage the surrounding paint).

Maybe try razor blade to get the main bits off (if lump of glue) but would need rubbing down (wet and dry) and polishing afterwards

Good luck with whatever options you go with  :smiley:

right... DO NOT try this glue remover on your paintwork... read the Customer Q&A on that webpage  :wink:

Offline mac456

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 07 September 2009, 18:56 »
i wont be lol read it already.

i got it on there because i had a crack in my scuttle panel and i was trying to seal it, not realising there glue on the tissue i placed it on the bonnet :( ill get a pic as most of it is really thin, so it might be able to polish 80% of it

Offline Thom89

• Forum addict
  • Looking for an "Icebreaker"
« Reply #12 on: 08 September 2009, 00:13 »
Try this, stick 2 layers of masking tape each side of the super glue, then carefully "chisel" the SG with a brand new stanley knife blade at a very acute angle, the masking tape will stop the blade reaching the paint, but will remove the SG, as you get the "feel" for it, peel back one layer of masking tape to get a closer shave, lubricate heavily with washing up liquid, final remnants of the SG can then be tackled with 1500grt wet/dry, this time, use cellotape as your guide, as its much thinner, you must use a hard rubber rubbing block in this part of the process, once fully removed, area should easily buff up with a little Tcut and some elbow grease, or better still, a quick once over with a machine and a bit of G3
Thom

Offline mac456

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 08 September 2009, 09:30 »
thanks mate, sounds like a good plan.

im gonna pratice on a scrap panel i think before i attempt to do it though. i will post back with results  :evil:

Offline Len

• 10k hero
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
« Reply #14 on: 08 September 2009, 09:47 »
Personally I would use a sharp chisel, VERY carefully!
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 08 September 2009, 10:05 »
Personally I would use a sharp chisel, VERY carefully!

personally i wouldnt

where are you based mac?

Offline waxamomo

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #16 on: 08 September 2009, 10:26 »
We have just got the ValetPro Tar and Glue remover in stock. Not too sure how good it will be on Super Glue, but it's got to be worth a try for £6.95.

http://www.waxamomo.co.uk/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=284&idcategory=13

I really would NOT use any sharp objects on your car, too much risk of real damage.

Chris

nige_s

« Reply #17 on: 08 September 2009, 10:44 »
surely the same technique used for removing paint runs can be applied to this situation and still be effective?

Offline Matty-MK3

• I live here
  • Automatic boats FTW.
« Reply #18 on: 20 September 2009, 12:27 »
surely the same technique used for removing paint runs can be applied to this situation and still be effective?

Good luck taking a big blob of superglue off with 1500+ Grit  paper, hope you have thick skin. :)
Golf MK3 1.8 auto and I didn't pay a grand for the "priveledge" :grin:, auto windows all round and a AC. Oh and I've got a luggage net you pricks!

Does that make my willy look bigger?

Oh yeah it's called Helda or something....

nige_s

« Reply #19 on: 20 September 2009, 17:42 »