Author Topic: New owner checking in and a nav question  (Read 1519 times)

Offline sjl

• Not said much yet
New owner checking in and a nav question
« on: 06 February 2022, 10:31 »
Hello

Simon here logging in for the first time, just purchased a 2019 gti pp in met black. Wanted a gti for many years and finally took the plunge. So far very pleased, its more firmly sprung and noisier than i expected but love the power and the front wheel scrabble.

Purchased it from a well known online seller and whilst its immaculate, the nav isnt working, ‘nav database not available’? Having googled this for hours im guessing this is bacause the vw sd card is missing from the glove box (there isnt one)? Have requested the dealer to fix this but sometimes easier to fix these things myself if its easy?

Anyway, looks like a great forum

Simon

Offline madstaff

• I live here
Re: New owner checking in and a nav question
« Reply #1 on: 06 February 2022, 10:57 »
IIRC, you will need the VW supplied SDcard with the map data on, as it has a hidden file or something which is like a verification code.

Just get the dealer to supply a SD card with the maps on, why should you have to sort it??
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #2 on: 06 February 2022, 11:35 »
Yes missing card and it's a special secure vw one. You need the special card. Dealer should have supplied it with the car...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline sjl

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 06 February 2022, 13:02 »
Thanks all, dealer has promised to supply a new one, just need to wait now

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 06 February 2022, 15:11 »
Thanks all, dealer has promised to supply a new one, just need to wait now
ask them for the 32gb version instead of the 16gb one. Means you'll be able update using region 1.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Ashtons99

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 06 February 2022, 19:41 »
You will get a card easy enough from them. The bigger places like car supermarkets take them out because folk nick them

Offline sjl

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 06 February 2022, 19:46 »
Thanks all, am looking forward to seeing how the nav works in the pro dashboard

As part of this i have now downloaded the latest maps onto a 32gb sd card so at least i will be able to update maps as and when required, which to be fair, can be useful. There is something to be said for an integrated nav system over using a phone

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 06 February 2022, 21:50 »
Thanks all, am looking forward to seeing how the nav works in the pro dashboard

As part of this i have now downloaded the latest maps onto a 32gb sd card so at least i will be able to update maps as and when required, which to be fair, can be useful. There is something to be said for an integrated nav system over using a phone
you'll need to check if they send you a 32gb card before trying to update. If not you'll need to download a different region. Just a question but why have you put the new maps on an SD card?

Offline sjl

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 06 February 2022, 23:06 »
Just the journey to realising that i needed a vw encoded card, thought i could kist download new maps from vw site and that would be enough

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 07 February 2022, 07:51 »
Just the journey to realising that i needed a vw encoded card, thought i could kist download new maps from vw site and that would be enough
Ah no worries 👍👍