Author Topic: Obd11 ? Worth it or not  (Read 2033 times)

Offline Ratski

• Not said much yet
Obd11 ? Worth it or not
« on: 23 November 2020, 21:52 »
Hi there
I like to do a bit of maintenance of my car but come to the realisation I need to buy some coding tools to carry out some planned work I the next few months (mainly rear pads and possible battery change)

Will obd11 prop cover my needs or is there an alternative?. I probably don’t do enough to warrant buying Vcds.

If I do go for obd11 what’s the difference with the next gen version.? It costs a bit more than the earlier version.

Thanks for the heads up

Offline RM

• Not said much yet
Re: Obd11 ? Worth it or not
« Reply #1 on: 23 November 2020, 21:53 »
Worth it. Also look at Carista as an alternative. There was a good thread here discussing the pros and cons a little while ago, but you can’t go far wrong with either IMO.

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 24 November 2020, 05:41 »
100% worth it and go for the Pro licence as all the adaptations and coding is free, you don't need to use the paid for apps.

Offline Ratski

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 24 November 2020, 13:52 »
Thanks,
I’ve got a fuel filter to do soon and reading you can prime the pump with this. So with that p, battery, brakes etc it’s seems like a good investment.

Do you get a fairly comprehensive instruction manual with it or mostly online?

Cheers

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 24 November 2020, 17:30 »
100% online as in YouTube video's for the basics to advanced and some good tips, forums have every adaptation or code you could ever want.

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #5 on: 24 November 2020, 19:03 »
Definitely worth it - as said, go for the pro version.

I've probably saved more money in one job (rear brakes) than the unit cost in the first place.

All I know about the difference between 1st and 2nd Gen is that 2nd Gen works with apple products, whereas 1st Gen is just with android. I've got a 1st Gen device and am more than happy with it.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline Ratski

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 24 November 2020, 20:50 »
Brilliant thx
Any preferred retailer, or just grab off amazon etc?

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 24 November 2020, 22:37 »
Buy direct from OBD11.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline rajb

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 25 November 2020, 13:36 »
100% worth it. Although mine isn't the pro you can get extra credits daily if you don't mind letting it show you a few videos but I've used mine quite a few times to clear the airbags and do rear brakes on mine and a neighbours Audi A4. It's very straight forward to use.

And bought mine direct when they offered a double credits promo.

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 26 November 2020, 11:20 »
Definitely worth it - as said, go for the pro version.

I've probably saved more money in one job (rear brakes) than the unit cost in the first place.

All I know about the difference between 1st and 2nd Gen is that 2nd Gen works with apple products, whereas 1st Gen is just with android. I've got a 1st Gen device and am more than happy with it.

2nd gen is faster than the first as well by quite a bit. The first is not slow though.

OP If you buy direct buy the basic one and then the Pro licence as it works out cheaper (double check just in case it has changed).  The Ultimate comes with things you never use like a heap of credits but I have over 900 from the free ones given daily if you log on but never use the apps so they are useless with the pro licence.