Author Topic: Consumprion  (Read 3330 times)

Offline Jeni_R_

• Here all the time
Re: Consumprion
« Reply #10 on: 09 March 2018, 23:04 »
I had a mk6 GTD and the winter fuel consumption was (from memory) a good 10-15% worse than it was during the warmer summer months. Agree with Watts; 43 mpg sounds OK for a diesel during the colder winter months.

Was your DPF going through a regeneration cycle when the engine was idling at higher rpm than normal engine idle speed?

I dont know when i turn on its at 1000rpm if i turn off fans etc and rev in neutral it drops to 800 🙄

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #11 on: 09 March 2018, 23:15 »
It does work actually... You could always use it in reverse I guess. A bit like the breathalyser thing I saw in a bar somewhere... Seeing how drunk you could get (obviously not driving before anyone starts...)
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 09 March 2018, 23:16 »
23.2 mpg my long term average, seems to be dropping. Can’t think why.? It’s just so addictive,the performance. Any opportunity and I floor it. I am away to Dartmouth wish I’d got a snooper beforehand.
Luck must run out soon,although I have to behave with she who must be obeyed.
Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.

Offline Jeni_R_

• Here all the time
« Reply #13 on: 09 March 2018, 23:23 »
Have you got the think blue trainer display on yours? If you do, use that to learn how to get better fuel economy...

To hell with that pish!. :grin:

Yeah i do i switched it off was a bit like driving with my mum in the car nagging 😂😂😂

Offline davyk31

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 10 March 2018, 07:20 »
Have you got the think blue trainer display on yours? If you do, use that to learn how to get better fuel economy...

Amen to that thought lol.
Mk 7.5 GTi Indium Grey with 19" Brescias

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #15 on: 10 March 2018, 09:51 »

Yeah i do i switched it off was a bit like driving with my mum in the car nagging 😂😂😂

Yes but if you want to get better fuel consumption you need to have the information to do it.... And that will give it to you.

It's possible that you won't improve... Your journeys might be too short or the weather too cold or the terrain not flat enough but most likely is that you press the go pedal too much.

Driving a gtd like you stole it will usually return just over 40. You'd have to be doing christ knows what to drop it into the thirties.

I'd definitely say there is room for improvement if you try to learn.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #16 on: 10 March 2018, 10:51 »
The think blue trainer is utter rubbish, I had higher scores whilst having low/mid mpg.
It seems to give you points on how effectively you accelerate and decelerate (brake or not to brake) more than anything, but the limitation is that it gets thrown off if you coast or only accelerate slightly (as in it won't give you more than one point).

I have had 93 - 95 whilst getting 55mpg but only 85-88 when doing 60+ mpg - go figure  :whistle:
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline Restlessnative

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 10 March 2018, 13:40 »
I had a mk6 GTD and the winter fuel consumption was (from memory) a good 10-15% worse than it was during the warmer summer months. Agree with Watts; 43 mpg sounds OK for a diesel during the colder winter months.

Was your DPF going through a regeneration cycle when the engine was idling at higher rpm than normal engine idle speed?

Yes the mpg in Winter on the GTD drops substantially.It spends an age at about 1100rpm when warming up.Then once that is done it decides to do it again to do a regen. :sad:
Current: Golf GTD MK7  3 door manual carbon grey.

Offline richwade80

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: 11 March 2018, 19:34 »
I got 43.3 out of my gti today over 100 miles. Admittedly that was down the M4 with 50mph zones, but I was still pretty chuffed with that... until the tire pressure warning popped up.
2012 Mk5 Polo 1.2 TSI - Deep Black Pearl
2015 Mk7 Golf 1.4 TSI - Carmen Red
2017 Mk7.5 Golf 2.0 TSI GTI - Isaac Blue / No Frills
202? Mk8 Golf 2.0 TSI GTI - Moonstone Grey / Sunroof / Winter Pack