Author Topic: Just about to place order for my New MK7 GTI  (Read 5298 times)

Offline kelvyn29

• Not said much yet
Just about to place order for my New MK7 GTI
« on: 14 July 2016, 09:36 »
Following on from my last thread about the GTD & GTI, today i'm about to place my order for the GTI with the following spec..

GTI with Performance PAck
3 door
Pure White
Dynaudio excite sound pack
Car-Net App-Connect
Rear view camera
Heat insulated tinted glass 90% light absorbing from B pillar back

Done a few calculations & GTI is slighly more money but works out less than the MK3 Focus ST I have so will be saving money.

Test drove the GTI the other day, Inchcape at Ipswich were superb.
Yes the GTI is not as extreme looking / striking as the focus but quality of the cabin etc feels lovely.
Dont get me wrong the ST is a nice place to be but the VW is on another level.

On the road the GTI felt very well planted could not drive to hard :) as it was raining but grip wise did feel on par with the ST but not as harsh over the bumps.

The demo was the non performance pack but to be fair I noticed no real difference apart from the power delivery of the GTi was a bit smoother.

I want the 3 door which i think is almost 150kg lighter than the ST so the 25ish BHP down in power is made up :)

Cant wait to get it now will be my 1st VW car  :shocked:

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
Re: Just about to place order for my New MK7 GTI
« Reply #1 on: 14 July 2016, 09:46 »
Run it in and pop a DTUK tuning box on it.

Seriously quick car - mine was transformed once I put it on.

Good choice on colour and options too!
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline kelvyn29

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 14 July 2016, 09:52 »
Thanks bud, I have been in 2 minds with to go with Reflex Silver or Carbon Grey but I saw a 3 door white with the tinted glass & looked mega.

Ideally I would have gone Oryx White, Santiago 19's & Leather but just pushing the price a bit to much.

I've done a bit of research on these boxes, any links to toe DTUK on?

Thanks
Kelv

Offline buddfridge

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 14 July 2016, 10:20 »
Hi , before you go the full hog with a dtuk box try the pedal box first, at about £150 ish pounds and mine was no extra on the insurance it can transform the gti for a very low price, mine is the pp and after reading up [thanks Booth] I bought one its got to be the best £150 you can spend on the gti I would think...I am not alone on this forum in recomending them.
gti pp manual white 5 door

mjh_056

« Reply #4 on: 14 July 2016, 10:24 »
Thanks bud, I have been in 2 minds with to go with Reflex Silver or Carbon Grey but I saw a 3 door white with the tinted glass & looked mega.

Ideally I would have gone Oryx White, Santiago 19's & Leather but just pushing the price a bit to much.

I've done a bit of research on these boxes, any links to toe DTUK on?

Thanks
Kelv

You have to call a halt on the options at some point and as lovely as all three of them are that passed on, the difference between the standards does not really lift the satisfaction level enough, if at all! to justify such a huge lift in spend. If it was truly stretching then them ££'s left in pocket will make for more satisfying drive.

Also on 19" you may have had to option the DCC also to keep the ride on softer side of firm.

Presume the specification is manual?

Have standard white GTD and its a great low maintenance colour and only on close inspection do you ever really see it maybe needs a good clean and wax. The white is also a great colour to highlight all the features.

Its all personal taste but the reason most here go for the performance Golfs is the understated looks where you still get many looks as there is still a strong enough hint to performance.

An ST is so obvious that it will get a look and then an instant turn away as its all there in one glaring in your face view where these Golfs get a more extended look over.

Mine is the lowly GTD but even now always aware of someone giving it a look over.

Driven few decent cars in this range and couple of Audi Quattro prior to this and this is the best car of the lot and unless had to change at 3 years would happily keep it long term.

Offline kelvyn29

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 14 July 2016, 11:33 »
Yep specd with Manual, had I gone GTD i think i would have gone DSG.

Ahh yes forgot to add that yes with the 19's i would have added DCC to.

I'm more than happy with the spec  :grin:

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #6 on: 14 July 2016, 14:27 »
Same spec as mine but mine's the 5 door but I'm not sure you need the 90% tints :undecided:
Each to their own and it probably looks good on a white Golf :smiley:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 14 July 2016, 14:35 »
Hope it lives up to your expectations kelvyn29, mine has been great, really enjoying every drive. As a measure of how much I'm enjoying it, I have averaged a very steady and reliable 7.5k miles for the last 15+ years but with the GTI this year will be nearer 10k, no idea where they have been, I thought the counter was miss-reading!

As for options, I think the Austins look good, will be easier to clean and a lot cheaper for tyres. Also, the leather is not great quality for the price and makes the interior dull and boring. The red tartan looks great (and doesn't burn your backside on a hot day).

Hope delivery is quick for you so you can get out and enjoy it!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 14 July 2016, 14:41 »
I had a white 3 door and wouldn't class the tinted rears as essential.
Here's a pic of mine with standard tints and make your own mind up!
The only thing I'd say negatively about very dark rear tints is they show up water marks badly.
I think I'd drop the £95 rear tints and fit the parking pack personally, but that's just me.

Aside from that, great spec OP and do just as buddfridge says, fit a PedalBox as it brings the car alive.
The 25bhp difference between an ST and GTI is pretty academic on the road and with a PedalBox fitted the GTI utilises its power and torque far more effectively so you'd never notice the 25bhp unless you're drag racing.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 14 July 2016, 15:12 »
I love those wheels Andy ^^^
I'm sure I've asked before but what are they again and did you sell them or keep them for the R?

I've got to disagree about the water spots on the tinted windows. Mrs P has the 90% tints on her black GTI and to be honest I've never noticed any on it, yet I've noticed plenty on the body of the car. Its a never ending battle.
I don't know if the detailer treated the windows and that's why no water marks are there.

Its amazing how we all differ as I love her 90% tints and this would be high up as one of my options.
In some lights you wouldn't even know they were 90% tinted. 

HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14