Author Topic: Re-fitting rear numberplate  (Read 2715 times)

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
Re: Re-fitting rear numberplate
« Reply #10 on: 08 March 2016, 20:44 »
Cheers Barry, porridge is great but I'll stick to it for my brekkie (unlike my numberplate to bumper!).

Thanks Geobog, I'll probably go with the Halfords option with plenty of prep but maybe not quite so far as claying although I do appreciate Rhyso's input.

Thank's everybody! I'll come and find you all if it falls off...
ok you could try these then  :smiley:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NUMBER-PLATE-STICKY-PADS-X10-/331564612581?hash=item4d32ca7be5:g:vWkAAOSw6EhUR~fU

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 08 March 2016, 20:59 »
Thanks Barry, but I was looking more for recommendations. I suppose my other option is asking what they use at the dealers as it is not the adhesive qualities that were lacking...
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 08 March 2016, 21:11 »
Thanks Barry, but I was looking more for recommendations. I suppose my other option is asking what they use at the dealers as it is not the adhesive qualities that were lacking...
have you not got a number plate supplier near you we have 1 a mile or so away that is always happy to help  :smiley: they use double sided tape in my work though and not seen 1 come back yet

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 08 March 2016, 21:27 »
No idea but worth checking, thanks for that, a good idea :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 08 March 2016, 22:43 »
I always ask the dealer not to screw my number plate on as I stick them with double sided tape.
I just use the cheap stuff from ebay and never once had a problem.
Just make sure like has been mentioned its clean behind it and no wax!

I have wee plates and only have 3 stripes of double sided to hold them. Middle and both ends. With full size plates I usually have 5 stripes of tape.

I just ordered 2 rolls of this stuff a couple of weeks ago and its been fine. I've used it to stick coloured LED strips and its rock solid.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 09 March 2016, 10:16 »
I always ask the dealer not to screw my number plate on as I stick them with double sided tape.
I just use the cheap stuff from ebay and never once had a problem.
Just make sure like has been mentioned its clean behind it and no wax!

I have wee plates and only have 3 stripes of double sided to hold them. Middle and both ends. With full size plates I usually have 5 stripes of tape.

I just ordered 2 rolls of this stuff a couple of weeks ago and its been fine. I've used it to stick coloured LED strips and its rock solid.

Cheers p3asa, I've ordered a roll of that. Not sure I need 5m of it though but useful to have it handy!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 09 March 2016, 10:30 »
3M do a product called dual lock. It looks a bit like velcro but snaps quite audibly into place. It's almost clear so disappears quite nicely on car. Then, as you all obviously do, when you want to clean behind the number plate, you pull the plate off the car. Can be re-attached repeatedly, no loss of 'snap'.
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Diehammer

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 09 March 2016, 13:13 »
Halfords double sided number plate pads - not failed me yet :)

Number plates on my 3 series fell off using these at Blair Drummond Safari Park a couple of years ago. Melted in the heat.
Golf GTD MK7 5 door Manual, Carbon Grey, Keyless Entry, Rear View Camera.

Ordered 26/02/15  Build Week Confirmed 24/04/15 (BW21) Stage 5a 19/05/15 Stage 5b 21/05/15 Stage 5c 29/05/15 Stage 6 02/06/15 Stage 7 04/06/15 Pick Up 06/06/15

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 09 March 2016, 13:19 »
Cheers jv, looks a very useful product.

Diehammer - proved my point. These products only have polar opinions, thanks for the input though. Fingers crossed the tape p3asa recommended comes good!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.