Author Topic: GTD paticulate warning  (Read 3896 times)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: GTD paticulate warning
« Reply #10 on: 08 January 2015, 17:55 »
I'm coming up to silver link tonight for half 7 if you fancy popping over.

Anytime but then.  :whistle: I'm out on a pre-arranged drinking session at 6:30. I'll have to give the car a wash over the weekend before handing it over to Mill, it's filthy, and the boot is full of stuff I need to get in the house. Any other time you're over this side of the water? Should I get the laptop up and running the latest VCDS?
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 08 January 2015, 18:29 »
I've got a net book for using vcds now matt. Give me a shout when you pick the car up from mill car comic after its fixed.I could meet you before you had back to shields.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline KyleB

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 08 January 2015, 18:52 »
If you lads are stuck for VCDS I'm down Durham way if you keep missing each other.

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #13 on: 08 January 2015, 21:08 »
Short journeys hasn't done mine any harm at all so no reason to not but a diesel! They aren't like the previous oil burners.

No, they are worse than previous ones for short journeys... I've never been reminded to drive a distance long enough for regen to complete.... 49k miles in less than 14 months thou.

Short distances for a month or longer and it will likely as you to do a long journey so it can complete dpf regen it's been trying to unsuccessfully complete for a while.

If you do short journeys during the week but give it a good long run during weekend you won't see DPF light thou.
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 08 January 2015, 21:30 »
Disagree about them being worse than previous ones for short journeys. The tiguan I had used to bunny hop down the road with short journeys but the golf isn't bothered at all.
« Last Edit: 09 January 2015, 17:49 by mcmaddy »

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 09 January 2015, 08:06 »
Mine seems worse for the same journeys (13 mile commute each way, mixed roads, very little congestion), but I think I drive mine quite hard (which can't help in the generation of particulates). In my previous Scirocco, I never had a forced regen in the whole time I had it, but it's a regular occurrence now, moreso in winter and especially after a change in fuel (not using the same brand twice in a row).

The GTD takes longer to warm up than the Scirocco did (which can't help in burning off the particulates) - my Scirocco was warm 7 miles into my commute, the GTD is warm 10 miles into my commute.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 09 January 2015, 16:47 »
They are worse in a way that they don't passively regenerate (like mk6 and all other VAGs using same engines) as the exhaust temp was lowered, i.e. they are more dependent on active regens.
If you don't complete the active regen the light comes on where on mk6 you might get away with far fewer regens (certainly a lot less active ones).

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 09 January 2015, 17:51 »
They don't need to passively regen any more as they are different to previous VW diesel engines. I've never had the light come on yet and most of my journeys are short.

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 09 January 2015, 18:17 »
They don't not need passive regen, it's just not really doing anything passively..... resulting in about twice as many active regens on mk7 compared to mk6 ;)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 10 January 2015, 07:29 »
They've moved the location of the dpf from the mk6 so it doesn't need the passive regens, so I was told. The mk7 does seem to regen about 800 miles or so no matter what driving you do. Its certainly different and something to get used to  :grin: