Author Topic: MDI USB connectors  (Read 7228 times)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
MDI USB connectors
« on: 26 September 2013, 08:04 »
Does anyone know if the VW MDI to USB cable will work with android phones if you plug the cable in that came with the phone? My dealer is claiming no micro USB cable exists and won't supply me with one even though I don't have an I phone and the supplied cable is no good to me. in effect the MDI to usb would be an extension cable and these can be picked up for a couple of quid.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Valenni

• Here all the time
Re: MDI USB connectors
« Reply #1 on: 26 September 2013, 09:01 »
I will test it on the wife's Beetle tonight, but she normally controls her music through BT.
Proud owner of a Pure white Golf GTD  - Adaptive Chassis Control - Panoramic sunroof - Dynaudio sound pack.

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline monsta

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 26 September 2013, 14:20 »
My money is on the dealer not knowing what micro usb means...

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 26 September 2013, 18:25 »
that's the one jimble. I gave them the part number and said nothing showed up on the system. I think it's a case of not wanting to give me one so they just say it doesn't exist.

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 26 September 2013, 21:31 »
I'm sure there is a thread in here about the Android not being recognised using that lead but can't find it  :embarrassed:

If its similar to the Mk6 then it won't work. The option is greyed out and not selectable. I ended up using that lead for a 500Gb hard drive player which worked fine.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 27 September 2013, 00:13 »
Does anyone know if the VW MDI to USB cable will work with android phones if you plug the cable in that came with the phone? My dealer is claiming no micro USB cable exists and won't supply me with one even though I don't have an I phone and the supplied cable is no good to me. in effect the MDI to usb would be an extension cable and these can be picked up for a couple of quid.

If you can wait a few weeks to find out (when I am back) you can have a lend of my MDI to USB that was retained from the Scirocco to check functionality.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 27 September 2013, 08:03 »
Cheers MH will do.

Offline dengiehammer

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 01 November 2013, 12:41 »
So by reading this, I have to purchase a £38 lead, to be able to play my usb sticks in my Golf, as the only inputs are ipod and SD card?

Offline Hawaii-Five-O

• I live here
  • Are we nearly there yet?
« Reply #9 on: 01 November 2013, 13:02 »
So by reading this, I have to purchase a £38 lead, to be able to play my usb sticks in my Golf, as the only inputs are ipod and SD card?

Or purchase a large capacity, cheap SD card off eBay :wink:

Be way cheaper than a £38 lead.

Seems completely daft not to supply this new Golf with a USB input - unless I've mistake something.
Current: BMW M140i / ZF8 / 5 DR
Past: MK7 GTI / DSG / WHITE / 5 DR