Author Topic: Door mirror glass just dropped out  (Read 21799 times)

Offline Spud122

• Not said much yet
Re: Door mirror glass just dropped out
« Reply #20 on: 14 April 2020, 10:05 »
My Passenger side one dropped out on Thursday driving home from work, lost on the dual carriageway.
No other damage to car, so luckily didn't hit bodywork.
Order a 9.99 replacement from ebay, will advise when it arrives.
Decided to check drivers side when i got home and it is also completely unstuck, was able to move it up and down with 1 finger.
Removed it, cleaned and refitted with double sided tape.

I do leave the mirror heating on all the time / auto, will switch off now and only put it on when needed.

Offline monsta

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 14 April 2020, 12:29 »
The best approach is to get one from a breakers on eBay, you get a genuine part that way.  The aftermarket ones aren't great.

Both have mine have now done the same thing, both replaced for about £15 each with genuine items.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #22 on: 14 April 2020, 16:12 »
My Passenger side one dropped out on Thursday driving home from work, lost on the dual carriageway.
Decided to check drivers side when i got home and it is also completely unstuck, was able to move it up and down with 1 finger.

I do leave the mirror heating on all the time / auto, will switch off now and only put it on when needed.

doesn't matter if it's left on it switches itself off after a set time like the rear screen.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Spud122

• Not said much yet
« Reply #23 on: 15 April 2020, 10:40 »

doesn't matter if it's left on it switches itself off after a set time like the rear screen.

Yes, I understand it switches off (auto), but i assume as it comes on if temp is cold, the mirror heating is probably on much more than it needs to be?

The adhesive used from factory looks to be thin layer of silicone sealant type which has completely separated from the mirror glass i saved, there is no trace on the back at all. Whether it is affected by the heating i'm not sure, but certainly an easy step to take if it helps.   :smiley:

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #24 on: 15 April 2020, 11:28 »
Maybe water is getting in and freezing and then when the element is turned on its coming away 🤷‍♂️
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #25 on: 15 April 2020, 11:52 »
is there a common failure time going on here? Maybe on the 3rd service they should be rebonded?

Best not to leave your heated wing mirrors on for longer than you need, if not only to save the battery drain (which
I admit won't be huge) on an icy morning when the battery is taking a battering anyway with all your other ancillaries on.

Unless water is getting between the silicone and the glass with freeze/thaw contraction of the water going on, water will have nothing to do with it. Silicone doesn't last forever, and such a thin layer going through heat/cool cycles is going to make it even more likely to fail.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline rjwojcik

• Here all the time
« Reply #26 on: 15 April 2020, 15:28 »
Mine fell out today and smashed, drivers side.  New one ordered from autodoc, link here, hopefully it fits:

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/van-wezel/7655317

Mine's still being delivered, still not hit the UK.  Down to "Pandemic situation and quarantine all processes are delayed, including delivery. With regret we can not predict the exact time frame."
Current:
2018 RS4  - Navarra Blue / Black
Gone:
2016 A6 BiTDI - Midnight Blue / Black
2016 Golf GTD with a "lot" of toys
2016 M3 CP - Mineral Grey / Black
2009 135i - Le Mans Blue / Black

Offline jaceyboy

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 15 April 2020, 20:57 »
Mines been ordered from ebay so will let you know how it fits....

MK7 GTi

Offline Gulfstream11

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 16 April 2020, 12:43 »
Just a heads up fellas but you know its illegal to drive without mirror driverside?. Not in this climate you would be anyway.  :cry:

Previous rides..MKIV 1.8T   MKIV PD150  MK5 GTI MK5 edition30 now MK7 GTI PP

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 16 April 2020, 14:26 »
What is it with Mirrors falling out ? I seen loads on forums and facebook of people complaining of this, but I don't remember it happening like this previously ?
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras