Author Topic: Saying goodbye to Golf GTI  (Read 2353 times)

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
Re: Saying goodbye to Golf GTI
« Reply #10 on: 22 December 2022, 20:21 »
I expected to dislike it.

so why did you buy it?!

You sold your car 12+ months ago. Why are you still here?
« Last Edit: 22 December 2022, 20:56 by JoeGTI »
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Saying goodbye to Golf GTI
« Reply #11 on: 23 December 2022, 16:45 »
I expected to dislike it.

You hate haptic pads, the random bings and bongs get on your tits, the lack of illuminated volume control is daft, the voice control is worse than useless in the mk8 and you're not fan of its looks....

so why did you buy it?!

Because I have unlicensed stupidity?

The haptic pads aren’t so bad I can’t possibly live with them, I just don’t like them. End of.

The random bings and bongs weren’t too bad until the latest update and now they’re awful. VW will get a couple chances to fix or I will get rid of the car as they’re not liveable right now. Borderline dangerous.

The voice control isn’t something I’d use much anyway, it came free with the car and sucks arse so I don’t use it all all. It’ll randomly chirp in on odd occasion and I politely ask it to go away.

The mk8 is no classic beauty but the Clubsport is the best of a questionable bunch. I didn’t buy the car solely for looks but I’m not totally sold on the aesthetics of its competitors either.

BUT most of that isn’t something you’d know with foresight when you literally get one of the very first batch off the boat and don’t even clap eyes on it until pick up day.
Bought for reasons at the time that were relevant to me and bought with the courage of my convictions and a slight leap of faith - it’s a Golf GTI at the end of the day.
Bought to be a drivers car not a tech gizmo on wheels.
As a drivers car it’s been superb. As a tech gizmo - no thanks.

So, being as the “why did I buy it?” criteria there weren’t really ever going to be apparent until the benefit of hindsight was applied I’ll still say - I love the car. No regrets. Zero. Zilch. Just a few irritating foibles. There are things I was never keen on with the mk7, mk6, mk5, mk4, mk3, mk2 and mk1 too. Loved those cars also.

And yes, the bings and bongs that have arrived with a vengeance after 1896 are awful, but hopefully fixable. If not….

Merry Christmas buttons

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner