Author Topic: New PC required??  (Read 2131 times)

Offline Len

• 10k hero
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
New PC required??
« on: 26 March 2014, 20:57 »
My home PC is XP

Have heard that Microsoft are about to stop support of XP so do I have to get a new PC.

No I dont want a tablet or an AIO
Want to be able to burn discs etc.

I do have a laptop which is on Vista so I guess at some point that will have to get upgraded too!
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline justalex81

• I live here
Re: New PC required??
« Reply #1 on: 27 March 2014, 00:10 »
not straight away. All it means is that microsoft will no longer release updates for it.

Offline Ridg

• I live here
  • TDI - Soot Happens!
« Reply #2 on: 27 March 2014, 08:41 »
No.

As said Microsoft is stopping support for it meaning you wont get any future patches, security fixes.  XP is very mature so most of the issues have been addressed already, if you've got a half decent firewall, anti virus and common sense then you should be safe on the net.

You will miss out of certain software that requires vista+ or win8+

End of the day if your current machine does what you want it to do then don't worry about replacing it or the OS just yet.

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 29 March 2014, 19:55 »
Len just get more ram @ least 2-4GB then get windows 7 much less ball ache than XP.
Love XP for what it was, hated vista for what it wasn't!

Offline Len

• 10k hero
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
« Reply #4 on: 30 March 2014, 11:41 »
Yea same for me Jay, never liked vista, like 7 as thats what we got at work and is fine.
Current PC has 2Gb RAM so its not bad for speed. I sometimes work from home and it copes well with big work files, excel and jpeg.
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 30 March 2014, 12:43 »
Go to "my digital life" that's were I would upgrade to win7 Len  :wink:
I still remember how many people still wanted to hack my system on XP and it was easy enough one flash click and I was done for.
Win 7 should have upgraded it years ago, but can say its a very stable OS today, also with limited support in near future unless MS take a leap of faith and go backwards to non tablet/mobile systems like win8.
My system is old about 8 years+ and every thing I buy today can be transferred over to new system or build a custom machines for the kids when I'm finished with it.