Author Topic: A little help?  (Read 3198 times)

Offline S11EPS

• I live here
  • No golfs here. Only a C63 mercedes
Re: A little help?
« Reply #10 on: 10 January 2007, 17:33 »
is now a good time to mention the head unit I have for sale???

The greatest leveller of them all - the Carousel

Offline Scott_150

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 10 January 2007, 17:40 »
right.. ok.. sorry to be a pain..so if i go buy a new HU it will save me doing all the filtering stuff? can plug it in and then it will be ok to amp the speakers?

Hmm i think i may need to do some reading up on previous posts or soemthing im being slow!! lol

Offline mk2mark

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 10 January 2007, 18:33 »
Do you mind if I ask why you want to amp the speakers so badly? Maybe a better question to ask is what do you want to improve about what you have? S11eps is spot on with everything he has said, the only addition I would make is think about upgrading your speaker cables if funds allow. Putting in the filter capacitors is a piece of cake despite how complicated it sounds :smiley:

Personally the way I'd go about it would be to get the sub setup the way you like it first and retro fit the filters after. I say this because the frequency you cut off your existing speakers at is generally the frequency the sub comes in at. Also you'll only have to filter the bass speakers you have, Electrical block connectors shouldn't affect the sound noticeably either if you're afraid of soldering. The hu will allow some control over filtering but not as effectively as capacitors and definitely not as cheap - I wouldn't have thought they'd cost anywhere close to £20.

Offline Scott_150

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 10 January 2007, 19:13 »
Im not sure why i do to be honest :undecided:

Im completely new to this all, and was just trying to get idea's etc for fitting an insttall nearer to summer.  I want to get  arough plan of what im going to have to do.

I would like to fit 2x 12"... and thought may need to amp speakers to keep up with the subs? but i dont  like i sed complete newbie here!  :nerd:

Offline S11EPS

• I live here
  • No golfs here. Only a C63 mercedes
« Reply #14 on: 10 January 2007, 19:35 »
Do you mind if I ask why you want to amp the speakers so badly? Maybe a better question to ask is what do you want to improve about what you have? S11eps is spot on with everything he has said, the only addition I would make is think about upgrading your speaker cables if funds allow. Putting in the filter capacitors is a piece of cake despite how complicated it sounds :smiley:

Personally the way I'd go about it would be to get the sub setup the way you like it first and retro fit the filters after. I say this because the frequency you cut off your existing speakers at is generally the frequency the sub comes in at. Also you'll only have to filter the bass speakers you have, Electrical block connectors shouldn't affect the sound noticeably either if you're afraid of soldering. The hu will allow some control over filtering but not as effectively as capacitors and definitely not as cheap - I wouldn't have thought they'd cost anywhere close to £20.

Definitely fit filters after adding the sub - otherwise you'll have a big hole in your sound until you get the sub up and running. Plus, you can't know what frequency you want your high-pass working at until your sub is in there.

The head unit uses signal manipulation to do the same job as the cap/resistor, and they aren't as accurate or steep cut offs as hard wiring the components into the signal line, however, they are free if you're putting a new head unit in and I personally wouldn't bother installing high pass filters if my headunit could do the job at 95% efficiency.

I only said £20 because, although an audio shop paid would probably less than £5, they're still going to want to make a profit - and generally the higher precentage margins are found on the cheapest stuff....

The speaker cable in the mk 4 will be ok until the point at which you upgrade the speakers or add an amplifier - it's actually fairly decent, and the time and effort I made in changing mine when I had a high powered head unit driving the speakes was wasted tbh, as a difference wasn't noticable - I'd save that for when you amplify, as you'll have to run new cables from the amplifier location anyway.

PS, As well as a High-end Kenwood head unit, I also have a rockford box with 2 x 12" punch subs in it for sale...

The greatest leveller of them all - the Carousel

Offline Scott_150

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #15 on: 10 January 2007, 20:30 »
Ok well ive been talking with another forum member and have decided -

Im going to get a pioneer 2 x 12" sub set with toxic amp, upgrade my 2 front component speakers and see how tweeters sound and if not that good pgrade them, im going to amp the component speakers aswel.  and upgrade my headunit!

Sounds good?

Also while your here, could you recommend a good set of component speakers, that last and are loud??

Thanks for all your help!!

Offline mk2mark

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 11 January 2007, 10:52 »
I just got a set of these components: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Infinity-6-5-Reference-6510CS-270W-Component-Set_W0QQitemZ320070251206QQihZ011QQcategoryZ18799QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem - complete bargain I reckon, the speakers are very good sounding and have a huge range. Sellers spot on too.

Offline Scott_150

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #17 on: 11 January 2007, 15:46 »
They look good! just had a quick measure up and the components are 6.5" i thought they were, but the tweeters? are they all the same size?

because my rear ones- the cases are like 1.5" across and circular were as my front door ones obviously the cover/case bit is bigger than rear and isnt circular?! :shocked:

Offline mk2mark

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 11 January 2007, 17:53 »
I've put speakers in my own golf and another friends car, both times I just decided to mount them in the grills that were there - doesn't look too bad and reversible with €5 worth of parts from any scrapyard. It's also probably the handiest way as far as I can see. Pic of the friends car: http://www.iol.ie/~locoblade/sean/tweeterclose.jpg There's actually a full documentation of his install on the website - if you're interested click the pictures of the cars in my sig and it's under the other projects section in the main site.