Author Topic: SD card stuck  (Read 3824 times)

Offline uzinusa

• Not said much yet
SD card stuck
« on: 08 June 2015, 15:04 »
First post from a lurker so hello all, nice forum you have here.

I have an SD card stuck in the glove box slot.  It's actually a short SD card so comes flush with the facia.  If anyone has any suggestions as to how to extract it without damaging things that'd be much appreciated.
« Last Edit: 08 June 2015, 15:12 by uzinusa »
GTI PP 3 door, DSG, Carbon Grey Metalic, DCC, Keyless, Discover Pro

Offline TwoSheds

• GTI forum regular
Re: SD card stuck
« Reply #1 on: 08 June 2015, 15:12 »
Fine tweezers ?

Offline uzinusa

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 08 June 2015, 15:32 »
Thanks.  The SD card actually has a small lug on it that I can pull, however it really does seem quite firmly stuck and I was looking for a way to encourage it before I do any damage.

Offline TwoSheds

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 08 June 2015, 15:54 »
Sounds a bit brutal but if there is a small lug to grip could you not wiggle it, to loosen, with long nose pliers

Offline uzinusa

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 08 June 2015, 16:07 »
Cheers, I'll have another go tonight.  I'd started to wonder if this SD slot had any physical way it anchors the card in.

On a much more important matter...what a brilliant little car!  I love it!

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 08 June 2015, 16:16 »
I know this might seem a bit obvious (and apologies if that's the case), but you have pushed the SD back in first haven't you ?

They latch once inserted and you need to push firmly fully back in (you will hear a click) and it should spring back out.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline uzinusa

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 08 June 2015, 16:24 »
erm, maybe [sic not]...rushes out to car park to fiddle in glove box... :embarrassed:

Offline uzinusa

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 09 June 2015, 09:35 »
unfortunately, it's still stuck in...what do you reckon to inserting a strip of plastic down one side or the other to try to disengage it?

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 09 June 2015, 10:13 »
If its a short SD card, are you pushing it in far enough in order to release itself?
I don't know how short short is but I'd imagine it would have to actually go inside the unit before it pops back out. I don't think your finger would manage that maybe your nail?
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #9 on: 09 June 2015, 10:26 »
I'd use something like a small flat headed screwdriver to give it a push to release the lock - you will feel it when it pops out.

Then if it doesn't pop out enough to grab it once its unlocked , try a pair of tweezers.

It should however pop out far enough - I can't see that it can be so short that you actually managed to get it into the slot otherwise.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC