Author Topic: It's electric! ID3 Pickup.  (Read 6788 times)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
It's electric! ID3 Pickup.
« on: 09 May 2021, 13:49 »
Well here it is, my collection day write-up for my ID3.

I get to Newcastle train station and there's announcements to say all trains are cancelled and to go home. The boards don't quite reflect that though, my Newcastle to Birmingham train is still on. So I'm able to get to Birmingham and then Worcester, but my final train to Evesham is cancelled, so I have to get the hourly bus.

At pick-up everything's great until I spot the inevitable BRIDGESTONE on the tyres. Some of these were coming through with Goodyear, but I've lucked out yet again.

The car drives very smoothly, the steering is very sharp and direct, the turning circle is tiny due to very little overhang of the wheels. It handles like a nimble light hatchback rather than the 1850kg lump that it is.

The seats were very comfy, considering I was in them for 3 hours straight, and then another hour immediately after the top up charge.

Acceleration is instant and gives a decent shove in the back, whether you're accelerating fron zero or 50mph.

There were a few annoyances on the way up, seemingly 1 glitch and nothing changing a few settings wouldn't fix:-

1. The glitch. The climate menu was greyed out and unavailable. I was about 10 miles into my journey when I felt I would be slightly more comfortable a little cooler and discovered I couldn't do a thing  about it. Wasn't uncomfortable enough to want to stop. It sorted itself out after my charge stop. Hopefully a one off glitch for first time use.

2. Using ACC on the M1/A1, the speed signs recognition seemed overly sensitive, picking up speed signs on sliproads coming off the road I was on as I passed by, and reducing speed accordingly until I overrode  the action.

3. The VW version of the satnav (I was also checking out the android auto Google maps nav) is tied in to charging prompts when running low. With an indicated 70 mikes range left, it was promoting me to charge up at the "next" point, but it was prompting me to backtrack rather than going forward. Which was senseless unless you were in a situation where you have 20 miles left and the next charger is much further away than the one you just passed.

Maybe people with MK8 Golfs have experienced 1 and 2 as the infotainment system seems largely the same.

180 miles into the journey I stopped for charge near Thirsk, between the A1 and getting onto the A19 with 37 miles range left. It was clear I couldn't make it home (236 miles without charging).

Rookie mistake, I plugged in the AC charger (which even at 42kWh, is desperately slow. So I finish up and used my contactless debit card on the charger again to use the DC rapid charger and the card's declined. I had no other cards with the dog having chewed my wallet and credit card to bits the day before. The petrol station cashier agreed to put a £10 charge on his card and I gave him a tenner.

An hour later and I'm home. Plugged the car into our charger and set the car to top to 80% (apparently you shouldn't make a habit of 100% charging unless just prior to a long journey, potentially affects battery longevity).

Someone at the workshop of Listers clearly has a sense of humour. I tidied the charging cable that came with the car into the tool kit recess under the boot floor (not officially a storage place for it, but it does fit), and there's a Castrol Edge 1L oil top up kit there!

Caned it this morning with no range anxiety and very pleased with the way it drives.
« Last Edit: 09 May 2021, 13:59 by monkeyhanger »
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline clubsport

• I live here
Re: It's electric! ID3 Pickup.
« Reply #1 on: 09 May 2021, 16:13 »
I hope it works out, my neighbours picked theirs up at the end of 2020. It's been with VW for the last 6 weeks, while they drive round in the battered 18 plate Astra courtesy car!

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 09 May 2021, 16:14 »
Congrats (once again!) MH!

It sounds like it was a reasonably eventful trip with cracked trains and chewed wallets!

Obviously in a different league to the Audi but how does the build quality and interior stack up next to the Polo?
And back to back performance?

Does yours have the super-light coloured interior? 
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #3 on: 09 May 2021, 19:59 »
Pleased to hear you aren't stranded at a welcome break somewhere lol

A lot of id3's digested a bad ota update recently and needed to be unbricked.

The id3 has full ota updates unlike the mk8 where the second update channel is disabled at the moment.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 09 May 2021, 21:34 »
I hope it works out, my neighbours picked theirs up at the end of 2020. It's been with VW for the last 6 weeks, while they drive round in the battered 18 plate Astra courtesy car!

They would've been on the first effort software that was buggy as hell and probably upgraded to 2.0 via the dealership. Lost of failed upgrades from 2.0 to 2.1 reported. Mine was built with 2.1, so hopefully quite stable.

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 09 May 2021, 22:11 »
Spent 5 minutes filling the tank, drove over 300 miles, had a laugh on the way.
No drama.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 09 May 2021, 22:18 »
Congrats (once again!) MH!

It sounds like it was a reasonably eventful trip with cracked trains and chewed wallets!

Obviously in a different league to the Audi but how does the build quality and interior stack up next to the Polo?
And back to back performance?

Does yours have the super-light coloured interior?

Thankfully I don't have the white dash and steering wheel.  Everything is anthracite, even the headlining.

The door cards are softer and less shiny than those on the Polo, not as soft as the upper parts of the MK7 door cards, but softer than the lower parts of the Golf's door cards. The dash top is in 3 parts, with the one nearest the windscreen being hardest, with soft rubberised front top of the dash. The only bits I'm not keen on is the large piano black section of the door grab handle on all doors. Someone successfully wrapped those  so they weren't the huge fingerprint magnets. It all ties in quite nicely, it's as easy to say "minimalist" as it is to say "cheap". Everything in there has a place, with nothing superfluous. You don't really get it from the pictures on the website,but in the flesh it seems justifiable when you see how much interior room the ID3 has. The kids have an extra 4 inches of legroom behind my desired seating position than they had on the Polo, which was only marginally less than the Golf.

It feels solidly built - not a squeak or rattle - perhaps there's more precautions taken to.minimise noises as you'll hear them all with the motor being so quiet.
The Irish VW website shows they have access to front sports seats as an option on the higher trims, for €1350. They look very retro, like they belong.on a 90s Porsche.

Performance wise, 0-62 feels like it's more in the realms of 6.5s than the official 7.3s. Torque is just instantly delivered - no turbo lag, no wheelspin/tramping or DSG gear engagement lag, so in gear acceleration feels even quicker than the Polo with no kickdown to take place. There's some YouTube reviewer that reckons the ID3 under review was quicker than the RS7 from 0-30mph.

Did 13 miles around the doors today and economy was much better, even though I was putting my foot down. Air resistance at motorway speeds seems to take a huge bite of fuel economy.  263 mile official range - I'd say you'll probably manage it above 15C if it's done in mixed driving.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 09 May 2021, 22:22 »
No drama.

That's the upside to the GTI/R. doing over 200 miles in one day is going to be an extremely rare event for me. The other side of the coin is that I could drive the ID3 like I stole it and still be paying less than 2p a mile in fuel on an overnight cheap rate charge.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 09 May 2021, 22:24 »
Pleased to hear you aren't stranded at a welcome break somewhere lol

A lot of id3's digested a bad ota update recently and needed to be unbricked.

The id3 has full ota updates unlike the mk8 where the second update channel is disabled at the moment.

I don't think any updates to the ID3 have been sent OTA to end users cars not in the workshop, but there's rumours that the next one will be.
« Last Edit: 09 May 2021, 22:30 by monkeyhanger »

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 10 May 2021, 08:05 »
No drama.

That's the upside to the GTI/R. doing over 200 miles in one day is going to be an extremely rare event for me. The other side of the coin is that I could drive the ID3 like I stole it and still be paying less than 2p a mile in fuel on an overnight cheap rate charge.

An EV would be ideal for me, work from home, hardly ever go on long trips anymore and do about 3k pa, but I just find them soulless, probably an age thing.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.