Author Topic: F1 Thread  (Read 286928 times)

Offline The Mighty Elvi

• I live here
  • I'm better than you today.
Re: F1 Thread
« Reply #3610 on: 05 September 2012, 17:12 »
Hamilton off to Mercedes because he want's to be a global superstar!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/19489930

Offline MrBounce

• I live here
  • Bora TDi 130 Highline - usually filthy.
« Reply #3611 on: 05 September 2012, 17:34 »
To me the Hamilton-Mercedes deal is a bit of a no-brainer as:

1) He's had enough of the team not giving him a quick enough car and their constant c0ck-ups.

2) Despite the Global economies, Mercedes & Ferrari are the richest teams in the paddock and are both happy to spend money like water to get what they need. McLaren cannot afford Hamilton's demands, especially as they're having to buy in their engines next season.

3) With Schumacher likely to be going, Mercedes will be desperate to get a big name and a regular winner. Vettel is contracted to Red Bull, with Ferrari having an option on him for 2014. Webber is too (with not much likelihood of him being around too much longer). Alonso won't move, Raikkonen is contracted to Lotus and Button isn't moving anytime soon. Hamilton is pretty much the only top drawer name left.

4) He gets on well with Rosberg - whilst this is not a pre-requisite, it is far better to have a cordial relationship than an out-and-out nightmare scenario. Hamilton has form with this, his ego being a match for Alonso = massive clash.

5) I think that Lewis is fed up with "towing the McLaren corporate line" and wants a fresh perspective. I can see Mercedes giving him almost free reign as Ferrari did with Raikkonen back in 2007.

6) I had originally thought that when Schuey went, Di Resta would replace him; it now seems more likely that he & Lewis will play musical chairs.
« Last Edit: 05 September 2012, 17:52 by MrBounce »

Keeping schtum. Mostly.

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #3612 on: 05 September 2012, 18:02 »
And who will fill Lewis' seat in McLaren? Di Resta? I hope not, really not like him. I say give a young one a chance, someone like Perez or Kobayashi. They car both easily win if given the right car and both are exciting to watch.

Offline scarr89

• I live here
  • Mk4 Golf, DERV FTW!
« Reply #3613 on: 05 September 2012, 22:32 »
And who will fill Lewis' seat in McLaren? Di Resta? I hope not, really not like him. I say give a young one a chance, someone like Perez or Kobayashi. They car both easily win if given the right car and both are exciting to watch.

Perez or Koyba win with a the correct car. Both too much of loose cannons. Koyba is good, and exciting, however I feel they wouldn't be able to win with it.

I have been out of the whole world of news for a long time due to work, bloody para olympics and am yet still to catch up on the gossip, but LH to Merc...What is he doing. He will do no better than at Mclaren!

No me gusta.  :sad:

Offline Rich2086

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3614 on: 06 September 2012, 16:17 »
Its always a gamble to move teams but i think with the mercedes huge budget and they are putting in place the technical staff to improve the car, i dont even rate rosberg and shumacher is well past it so Ham could do well. I think getting out of McLaren will do him the world of good also whitmarsh and michael are both retards. He must be sick of the cock ups and they have to be one of the worst strategists in F1 

Offline stu646

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3615 on: 06 September 2012, 16:29 »
Big mistake for me. McLaren had a very bad start to the season, but the last 3 races they have really got their act together. If he had not been taken out this weekend in the first corner I have no doubt he would of finished in the top 3.

If I was him, I would join Lotus as this season their car has been very good and always been there or there about's in each race, him and Kimi could be a good team. As Grosjean will be leaving at the end of season I would think. Can see Lotus being very strong next season.

Offline Rich2086

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3616 on: 06 September 2012, 17:13 »
Big mistake for me. McLaren had a very bad start to the season, but the last 3 races they have really got their act together. If he had not been taken out this weekend in the first corner I have no doubt he would of finished in the top 3.

If I was him, I would join Lotus as this season their car has been very good and always been there or there about's in each race, him and Kimi could be a good team. As Grosjean will be leaving at the end of season I would think. Can see Lotus being very strong next season.

McLaren started the season with the strongest car and didnt capitilise on it. Mclaren with either driver should be much higher up the table but they make far to many mistakes as a team.

Lotus is a good shout but looking forward 2-3 years i think Mercedes will be stronger they have the cash and the people within the team to do well. Lotus currently have better drivers so id expect to see their cars at the sharper end more often.

Offline stu646

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3617 on: 08 September 2012, 18:32 »
Eddie Jordan must be going through hard times money wise as he is selling lots of his personal memorabilia.

Pretty sad that he is selling the trophies he won at Spa, Monza and Brazil. Also selling two F1 cars including Schumacher first F1 car

http://www.mementoexclusives.com/Eddie-Jordan-F1-Memorabilia-s/2059.htm?click=83

Offline X4MGS

• I live here
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
« Reply #3618 on: 10 September 2012, 02:11 »
Has anyone read this -  http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/19532651

Is it just me - or do "Some" of the points he raise actually resonate with other F1 fans????

I've been an F1 fan for nearly 40 years... I remember James Hunt winning in 1976 and I was only 10... and I'd been watching F1 with my dad for many years prior to that event...

I've never missed a Monaco GP in all these years as it still stick's out (in my mind) as the ultimate F1 one race to watch... BUT I have to agree with most of of the pints that Mr Montezemolo makes...

I know the BBC has twisted some of what he has said about race distance and I don't happen to agree with that point, but ones like "promote innovation, increase technology transfer to road cars, increase testing, reduce the influence of aerodynamics, include ways of reducing costs into the rules and allow the top teams to supply customer cars to smaller teams." really does resonate with me...

The Current F1 year has nothing to do with who has the best or fastest car - It's about who can manage the Tyres best over 90mins.... Look at what Perez did in the last 20 laps... He didn't have the fastest car overall he had the fastest car one the best tyre strategy out of the top 15 drivers...

If you look back at the history of F1 its been about who has the fastest car and with the newest technology that they can get and when you look carefully at what F1 has brought to road cars it's quite amazing.... Turbos, ABS, Traction Control, Adaptive Suspension & to a point aerodynamics...

That's why I agree with what he is saying... F1 is no longer advancing the technology in day to day cars like it has over the last 30 years.. is a road car going to benefit from an F1 car ecking out 100th of a second in aero wings - NO....

So why not get back to what F1 is really about..... THE FASTEST CAR & BEST DRIVER....

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #3619 on: 10 September 2012, 08:16 »
Has anyone read this - 
So why not get back to what F1 is really about..... THE FASTEST CAR & BEST DRIVER....

Trouble is to have the fastest car you need to spend money..........

Otherwise I completely agree that its rather boring to watch people 'manage' the tyres