Author Topic: F1 Thread  (Read 286951 times)

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
Re: F1 Thread
« Reply #2760 on: 10 October 2011, 11:09 »
dare I say it again....I think he's right up there with Senna, Prost, Schumacher (in his prime) and Fangio.

I don't put him in the same league, sorry

Hats of again to Seb, its all well and good saying its the best car but Webber has the same car and look what has (or hasn't) done with it.

He is not allowed to race Vettel so not really his fault, Red Bull as a team is built around Vettel with Webber the faithfull donkey.

Lets hope it is better next year, Vettel is in way or another like Schumacher and killing the sport.

Also I don't think he is that good a driver, lets be honest the car is great but could he still win from say 18th on the grid, I doubt it.

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #2761 on: 10 October 2011, 11:11 »
dare I say it again....I think he's right up there with Senna, Prost, Schumacher (in his prime) and Fangio.

I don't put him in the same league, sorry

Hats of again to Seb, its all well and good saying its the best car but Webber has the same car and look what has (or hasn't) done with it.

He is not allowed to race Vettel so not really his fault, Red Bull as a team is built around Vettel with Webber the faithfull donkey.

Lets hope it is better next year, Vettel is in way or another like Schumacher and killing the sport.

Also I don't think he is that good a driver, lets be honest the car is great but could he still win from say 18th on the grid, I doubt it.

Theres nothing stopping Webber from getting pole and doing exactly what Seb has done, he just hasn't been able to do it. Fingers toes and everything crossed McLaren have good car next year.

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #2762 on: 10 October 2011, 13:56 »
So Niki Lauda says Vettel can be better than Schumacher: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/95239

Damon Hill on the other hand thinks not: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/15241395.stm

Interesting comment from Damon Hill

Hill said that Vettel needed to be involved in a tougher championship fight against closer competition before he could be definitely judged against the other leading drivers of the day - Alonso, Button and McLaren's Lewis Hamilton.

"You'd perhaps like to see him put through a bit of a tougher test of his mettle - a bit of pressure from another team, a contender," Hill said.

Andrew Benson's blog is an interesting read as well: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/andrewbenson/2011/10/vettel_and_red_bull_redefine_p.html

That he did so in a golden age in terms of depth of talent is all the more noteworthy. But while the combination of Vettel and Red Bull has been peerless in 2011, it would be wrong to assume the world champion is without rival as a driver.

While he is clearly out of the top drawer, it remains the case that, until he goes up against another great in an equal car, his absolute potential is hard to judge.

« Last Edit: 10 October 2011, 13:58 by Wayne »

Offline golf newbie

• Here all the time
« Reply #2763 on: 10 October 2011, 14:05 »
So Niki Lauda says Vettel can be better than Schumacher:

Niki lauda is right in one way less people will be watching f1 next year.. :rolleyes:

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #2764 on: 10 October 2011, 14:17 »
As said above, no one can doubt vettels talent, but until he puts in some fantastic wins (similar to button when he looked down and out) then I think he is going to struggle to be named as one of the greats.

Really it is down to the opposition to up their game and then see how he handles it...

Offline smitty12

• I live here
  • R32
« Reply #2765 on: 10 October 2011, 23:05 »
Vettle has had a great season i've got to say, however he has had by a considerable margin the best car. He is a good driver but i still rank him 4th as a driver in the current competitions.

1. Hamilton (not based on recent performance)
2. Alonso
3. Button
4. Vettle

Vettle proved again in this race he couldnt make the pass on Alonso hence the team telling him "not to take any risks". He has the raw pace but cant fight for position half as well as Hamilton, Alonso or Button.

Hope theres not to many rule changes for next season so the competition across the field gets a bit tighter, would be nice to see Mercades challenging the front runners

Mk7 Golf GTI Clubsport S Tornado Red - on the way!
Mk4 Golf R32 Grey Anthracite Pearl Effect
Mk4 Golf GTI 2.slow Yellow Colour Concept

Offline Phil1980

• I live here
« Reply #2766 on: 11 October 2011, 18:02 »
I hope this isn't the beginning of the domination of Vettel or people will be switching off in droves.
MK5 2005 GTI, BLACK, 3 DR, 18" MONZA II, XENONS

Offline MrBounce

• I live here
  • Bora TDi 130 Highline - usually filthy.
« Reply #2767 on: 11 October 2011, 22:38 »
I hope this isn't the beginning of the domination of Vettel or people will be switching off in droves.

They'll be doing that anyway once the Sky deal falls into place...  :rolleyes:

Keeping schtum. Mostly.

Offline stu646

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2768 on: 12 October 2011, 14:16 »

They'll be doing that anyway once the Sky deal falls into place...  :rolleyes:

Is so annoying about that still.

I know the BBC get some live races and the highlights too, but it is not the same and I doubt VERY much that you will have Jake, Eddie and DC going to the live races, the forum afterwards ect.
Sure Sky will do a OK job, but will not match up to the great package BBC have done.

It is fine though, the new BBC show, The Voice starts soon, cost them tens of millions to get that. Another singing reality show, just what we need!

Offline golf newbie

• Here all the time
« Reply #2769 on: 12 October 2011, 16:03 »
Wonder if sky will buy jake a ipad2.. :rolleyes: