Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2833770 times)

Offline Gingernick

• GTI forum regular
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #230 on: 13 November 2013, 10:04 »
anybody fitted any protection for top of the rear bumper where it meets the hatch lid? I know on my current car its an area prone to scratching, but it is quite a high lip...

same for rear arched forward of the rear wheels..do VW put any protection there? or do drivers opt for mudguards to stop gravel flicking back onto that area?
3dr Gti, manual, tornado red, performance pack, dynaudio. gone now

5dr GTi, manual, red, Performance pack, dynaudio
going

5dr Gti, Manual, performance pack , indium grey (for a change!)

Offline JBirchy

• Here all the time
« Reply #231 on: 13 November 2013, 14:05 »
Croz my DBP car has similar marks like that are on yours that can be seen in certain light. Any idea what it is and how your detailer sorted it?

They are a combination of buffer trails (inflicted by using polishing pad/paste combination which is too aggressive) and general swirl marks (inflicted by using a sponge/drying blade/chamois leather).

The way to remove these effectively is to use a machine polisher with medium/fine grade polish and a soft/medium polishing pad. A detailer will be able to assess the paint and remove the marks pretty easily (Gordon @ Defined Details who are featured in the above post are a well established and quality company!).
MK7 GTI 3-Door DSG, Tornado Red, Discover Nav, Winter Pack, ACC, Keyless Go, Reversing Camera, Service Pack... Ordered 28th Oct... Collected 1st March!

Offline Blades72

• Not said much yet
« Reply #232 on: 13 November 2013, 15:49 »
Had car detailed by D4Detail of Lincoln and fitted Richbrook tax disc holder.

[/img]
Gone :Mk7 GTI with Performance Pack, Pure White, Dynaudio & Extended Warranty.
Arrived: Mk7.5 PP DSG Tungsten Silver

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #233 on: 13 November 2013, 16:45 »
^^^^ That looks awesome Blades!

Finally today at 297 miles my GTI got its first wash and is now white again instead of brownish.
I won't take photos as it will look crap next to all those shots of cars that have been detailed!!
Mine just had a quick wash as it's the first spare hour I've had for weeks and weeks.

Things I noted during the first wash:

It's cold out.

It's my first white GTI for 20 years and I've now realised after two grey and one silver car that I cannot take any short cuts or washing 'holidays' with this colour!! It doesn't forgive!!

There is a certain amount of industrial fallout on it so it will need some iron-x which will probably wait til next spring now when I will really get to work on it. Pointless doing much at this time of year (yes I'm lazy and don't like the cold!!)

The rear calipers aren't finished very well.

When I first clapped eyes on the Austins I really thought I'd form a loving relationship with them as they looked to be a nice easy to clean design after years of intricate alloys like BBSs.
WRONG! Dave (HA54SYM) mentioned a while ago that they were a pig to clean due to the lip that doesn't actually become apparent until you clean them. Boy was he right. It took me as long to clean the wheels as it did the rest of the filthy car. Grrrrr.
My mind is now made up and the BBSs will be going on the mk7 as soon as I can be arsed to clean them up properly and get a tyre fitted to one of them.
The actual design style of the Austins has grown on me and I like the look of them in the flesh more than photos.

Today I lifted the bonnet for the first time. Just to have a nose. I did think about putting the OSRAM cornering bulbs in but it was cold so I just shut the bonnet again. Another day eh….

And I did think about doing a VCDS scan just for the hell of it as to me the sound actuator in the mk7 doesn't sound anywhere near as sweet as the mk6 and more like a 3 cylinder Polo so I wondered if I have a misfire? I'm guessing not as the car goes well enough within reason and there are no warning lights on. But it was cold so I didn't bother…

So, now I have got up close and personal with the GTI for the first time I have the following thoughts - I should have got a five door.
I should have got grey.
I can see a lot of cost cutting but that's balanced by a much better spec as standard so I'll not moan about that.

I'm not suddenly regretting waiting for an R. The alloys look nicer on the R but that's about it. The small turbo'd GTI suits my needs far better.
If someone was to walk up to me and offer me a small profit on the GTI as they couldn't be bothered to wait for a new build I'd take the money but I don't think I'd go out and order and R at a discount.
I'd just order another GTI or more likely a GTD.
There's just something that feels right about the mk7 GTI.

Apart from the sluggish engine response...
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline KyleB

• I live here
« Reply #234 on: 07 December 2013, 11:45 »
Washed mine, polished with AutoGlym SRP and then a coat or Gloss Finish for protection. Can't take decent photos though :rolleyes:

Nice and shiny, had compliments from the postman mid wash too  :grin:

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #235 on: 07 December 2013, 13:16 »
That looks the nuts Kyle !
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline noobmonkey

• Here all the time
« Reply #236 on: 07 December 2013, 14:34 »
Wow the black looks awesome when cleaned! Great job Kyle! :) - Do still love the whites though hehe
VW Golf MK7 GTD Manual 5DR Pure White

Offline linc-dub

• Here all the time
« Reply #237 on: 07 December 2013, 16:03 »
Looks good Blades - I'll keep an eye out for you in the county - haven't spotted another GTD or GTI since getting mine on 1st Nov.
Picked up 02.09.17 Mk7.5 GTD Isaac Blue, Manual 5 Drs, DCC, Reversing Camera, Keyless, 90% tints, Heated front screen, Mudflaps all round

Sep 2015 65 plate Mk7 GTD Carbon Grey, Manual, 5 Drs, DCC, Reversing Camera, Sat Nav, Keyless, Sport & Sound, Mudflaps all round

2013 63 plate Mk7 GTD, Manual, 5 doors, Carbon Grey Metalic, ACC, Reversing Camera, Mudflaps front & rear - Took delivery October 2013

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #238 on: 07 December 2013, 19:01 »
That looks the nuts Kyle, bloody hell. Flat or metallic black?
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline KyleB

• I live here
« Reply #239 on: 08 December 2013, 08:57 »
Thanks for the comments guys. Joe its the metallic black.