Author Topic: MK7 GTI Facelift  (Read 302250 times)

Offline Don76

• Not said much yet
Re: MK7 GTI Facelift
« Reply #1060 on: 20 April 2017, 07:52 »
Just had confirmation that orders for the MK7.5 PP have been pushed back to week 35. No details as to why though.

Maybe 7 speed DSG related?

Or could it be due to a shortage of front fogs......

Thats crazy!, my PP is build this week! :)

Could be a method to control used prices in years to come. If you make the PP rarer then values on both remain strong. Flood the market with PP, then std versions are worth less (not worthless)

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #1061 on: 20 April 2017, 09:21 »

Could be a method to control used prices in years to come. If you make the PP rarer then values on both remain strong. Flood the market with PP, then std versions are worth less (not worthless)
There is not going to be a limited number. Also, I doubt if VW really care about used values. It is more likely to be a parts and production issue and they are using this delay as demand management. It may not be related to the GTI Performance. It could be to maintain demand for the standard GTI to run out stock. This will also mean pent-up demand for the Performance model coming into the winter.

I spent quite a bit of time last night looking at the Golf R, but I really want a tow bar :sad: I briefly considered the current GTI and GTD. Then I went out and had a good look at my own GTD. My best option is to wait. It will be difficult, but I've waited this long.

On the bright side - the car will likely have week 44 updates and any early production issues ironed out :undecided:
« Last Edit: 20 April 2017, 09:26 by Daz Auto »

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline juicelow

• Not said much yet
« Reply #1062 on: 20 April 2017, 10:46 »

There is not going to be a limited number. Also, I doubt if VW really care about used values. It is more likely to be a parts and production issue and they are using this delay as demand management. It may not be related to the GTI Performance. It could be to maintain demand for the standard GTI to run out stock. This will also mean pent-up demand for the Performance model coming into the winter.

I spent quite a bit of time last night looking at the Golf R, but I really want a tow bar :sad: I briefly considered the current GTI and GTD. Then I went out and had a good look at my own GTD. My best option is to wait. It will be difficult, but I've waited this long.

On the bright side - the car will likely have week 44 updates and any early production issues ironed out :undecided:
I also have a GTI PP on order here in Denmark....due for delivery week 25....I dont think there should be any early production issues, the 7,5 GTI has no major engineering changes or new parts (except AID but that has been in the passat for a while already) the 1.5 TSI though is maybe a different matter :whistle:

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
« Reply #1063 on: 20 April 2017, 11:04 »
I also have a GTI PP on order here in Denmark....due for delivery week 25....I dont think there should be any early production issues, the 7,5 GTI has no major engineering changes or new parts (except AID but that has been in the passat for a while already) the 1.5 TSI though is maybe a different matter :whistle:
There is the new 7 speed DSG. Though it has been in the S3 for a while.

Offline juicelow

• Not said much yet
« Reply #1064 on: 20 April 2017, 11:29 »
There is the new 7 speed DSG. Though it has been in the S3 for a while.
Yep....good point...luckily I have ordered the 'proper' manual gear shift  :wink:
Out of interest, has anyone here heard about any issues with the AID ?

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #1065 on: 20 April 2017, 13:27 »
I'm the same as you Daz Auto, really (in an ideal world) would like to get in a FL GTI, but then looked out at my car (which isn't even a year old yet) and thought, even without the fancy LED headlights and new LED rears, the current car still looks the business. Also, whilst the LED units are probably very trick, the Xenon's on my current car are still very good.

Then to the interior. I really like the look of the Active info display (drove a new Tiguan with one), and it's really quite nice and a good use of the space available ahead of the driver. Also, whilst I've no doubts the new discover Nav Pro III in the FL cars which have some additional cool features over my MIB II Nav Pro, (aside from the bigger screen), my Nav unit has been great and when I sat in the sales Managers new FL "R" at my local dealer, the huge 9" screen and gloss black surround was a massive fingerprint magnet and everywhere was absolutely covered with fingerprints.

So for me, currently what it boils down to is about a second faster 0-60 (I'm not really a traffic light grand-Prix person), for the GTI over the GTD (top speed is academic), and maybe a little quicker 30-50 and 50-70, but in itself the GTD isn't exactly slow and seems fast enough. I'd also be losing around 10(ish) MPG average over the GTD economy wise around town to 15-20ish on a run (overall then no biggie). No, for me the real killer is to get out of my 10 month old GTD and get a FL GTI with similar spec, for around the same payments per month as I'm currently paying would cost me around £6k in deposit fees. That's an awful lot for a car that is 80-90% the same as my current car. Don't get me wrong, if I had the money to throw at it, I'd probably jump, as I think the new GTI's with the optional Bresica alloys and the other updated tweaks looks the business.

Unfortunately with the wife being a bank manager, that isn't really an option at present  :grin: As such, like you I've decided for the time being (say around the next 18 months or so) to put up with my outdated last generation, oily, noisy and socially and politically unacceptable banger, with it's outdated (so yesterday) lights and clockwork gauges and will consider either a FL or a MK8 (if announced in the next 1-2 years or so) at that time.

The one thing I've learned, is that there will always be a newer model with better tech, different looks and perhaps more efficient engines with better performance just after you have splashed a large amount of cash down on a new car. Chasing the newest and greatest is a fools game.

In any case, the old girl doesn't look too bad does she ?

« Last Edit: 20 April 2017, 13:36 by Sootchucker »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #1066 on: 20 April 2017, 13:42 »
Looks great sootchucker, and your argument for not changing yet is spot on.
I do less than 4000 miles per year in my GTI so will be hanging on to it for a long time, probably 8-10 years if my last car is anything to go by :laugh:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #1067 on: 20 April 2017, 13:53 »
If I was in your shoes Sootchucker, it would be an easy decision; definitely keep your current GTD. Yours looks great, and you can't get the facelift in Carbon Grey, which is another reason not to change :smiley:.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
« Reply #1068 on: 20 April 2017, 14:17 »
I'm the same as you Daz Auto, really (in an ideal world) would like to get in a FL GTI, but then looked out at my car (which isn't even a year old yet) and thought, even without the fancy LED headlights and new LED rears, the current car still looks the business. Also, whilst the LED units are probably very trick, the Xenon's on my current car are still very good.
Looking at your car and the spec - you would be mad to change.

My car will soon be 6 years old and my dealer has been trying to get me to change for 2 years now. I explained to him - my problem is I always want to change my car. I'm still quite happy with the Mk6 GTD I have, but now my circumstances have changed. If I was still doing big miles I would be happy enough to keep my current car and wait for the Mk8.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #1069 on: 20 April 2017, 14:21 »
If I had a car as nice as yours Sootchucker I wouldn't dream of changing after such a short time, especially for what is (engine aside) pretty much the same car. Still looks fantastic.
7.5 GTD