Author Topic: MK7 GTI Facelift  (Read 302284 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: MK7 GTI Facelift
« Reply #860 on: 03 April 2017, 10:47 »
That's weird... its definitely a mk7.5, you can see the digital dash.

The configurator lists front fogs as standard equipment...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #861 on: 03 April 2017, 12:12 »
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #862 on: 03 April 2017, 12:45 »
The Vienna leather looks "interesting" on the facelift! The centres seem to have a polka dot type of finish which looks ok on the R (white dots) but the red on the GTI might be marmite...
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline GTD1414

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #863 on: 03 April 2017, 13:34 »
Really not sure about the new GTI standard wheel. Not a great looking design and actually looks pretty small. Seems a 19" upgrade is essential.
As I said before - the Parker alloys may not be the most stylish. They are an evolution of the previous GTI alloys. Most of the GTIs will be fitted with them. As someone else pointed out - they are only available on the GTI. They are one of the things that will make the car stand out from other Golfs.

I looked at the pros and cons of upgrading the alloys. The upgrade seems purely cosmetic to me. The articles I read said that 18inch alloys were the sweet spot. Above that ride comfort, road noise, acceleration, handling are all negatively impacted.

Like them or not - they are the 'new GTI alloy'. I'm looking forward to seeing them on my new car.

Agree with you about the GTI wheels being unique - disliked them at first but now are starting to grow on me.

I used to be 50/50 with the mk6 GTD wheels (like in your sig) but then borrowed a mk6 GTD for 2-3 months whilst waiting for my mk7 and they really grew on me, as above, only available on the GTD back then.

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #864 on: 03 April 2017, 13:37 »
Another little thing I've noticed in the facelifted cars...

- The GTD rear valence is now similar to that on the GTI (apart from the exhaust cut outs obviously). So it has the honeycomb finish and extends the full width of the rear bumper unlike the old very plain rear valence that the GTD had.

- The current (pre-facelifted) rear bumper on the R had a nice kick-out or kink at the bottom that made the car appear a bit wider from the back. It looks like this is gone, but now the valence extends right out to the edges (like on the GTI).

Offline GTD1414

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #865 on: 03 April 2017, 13:38 »
Another GTI review in English -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZYFK7oAGj8

At 45 seconds - no fog lights.

The car reviewed in VW Driver definitely has fog lights.

At 4:20 - sport suspension and 19 inch alloys are talked about.

Another UK GTI with no fog lights for sale in the used cars section on VW's website. In addition to the video showing no visible signs of front foglights in the front bumper, look at the light switch at 1min 25sec in the video, which only has the rear fog light symbol on the L/H side of the switch. Also a good chance to see White Silver on a GTI.

http://usedcars.volkswagen.co.uk/Golf-GTI/GTD/R/GTE/2.0-TSI-GTI-230-PS-DSG/Huntingdon/3708610-606257700-42148.aspx?srcmdc=se_na_re_

Theres also a black facelift GTD on VW used but cant tell if this has foglights or not?

http://usedcars.volkswagen.co.uk/Golf-GTI/GTD/R/GTE/2.0-TDI-GTD-184-PS-DSG/Huntingdon/3665245-606251297-42148.aspx?srcmdc=se_na_re_

Offline GTD1414

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #866 on: 03 April 2017, 13:44 »

- The GTD rear valence is now similar to that on the GTI (apart from the exhaust cut outs obviously). So it has the honeycomb finish and extends the full width of the rear bumper unlike the old very plain rear valence that the GTD had.

- The current (pre-facelifted) rear bumper on the R had a nice kick-out or kink at the bottom that made the car appear a bit wider from the back. It looks like this is gone, but now the valence extends right out to the edges (like on the GTI).

Tailpipes on the GTI + GTD also seem to be larger diameter. (possible same as CS?)

Anyone else noticed the small honeycomb detail in the headlights? (beneath the DRL's)

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #867 on: 03 April 2017, 14:01 »

Tailpipes on the GTI + GTD also seem to be larger diameter. (possible same as CS?)

Anyone else noticed the small honeycomb detail in the headlights? (beneath the DRL's)

Yes!
Sure sign of a facelift. They've put that honeycomb filler in the bottom of the headlight unit where the indicator strip used to reside. The indicator now doubles up with the LED DRL. i.e. the headlamp is now larger than it needs to be so rather than redesigning the shape of the headlamp (which would also require major changes to bumper and bonnet), VW took the cheap option - fill the blank space with honeycomb!

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #868 on: 03 April 2017, 14:14 »
Another GTI review in English -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZYFK7oAGj8

At 45 seconds - no fog lights.

The car reviewed in VW Driver definitely has fog lights.

At 4:20 - sport suspension and 19 inch alloys are talked about.

Another UK GTI with no fog lights for sale in the used cars section on VW's website. In addition to the video showing no visible signs of front foglights in the front bumper, look at the light switch at 1min 25sec in the video, which only has the rear fog light symbol on the L/H side of the switch. Also a good chance to see White Silver on a GTI.

http://usedcars.volkswagen.co.uk/Golf-GTI/GTD/R/GTE/2.0-TSI-GTI-230-PS-DSG/Huntingdon/3708610-606257700-42148.aspx?srcmdc=se_na_re_

Theres also a black facelift GTD on VW used but cant tell if this has foglights or not?

http://usedcars.volkswagen.co.uk/Golf-GTI/GTD/R/GTE/2.0-TDI-GTD-184-PS-DSG/Huntingdon/3665245-606251297-42148.aspx?srcmdc=se_na_re_

No, no foglights on that one either; at 1min 20sec on the video you can see the headlight switch and only the rear foglight symbol is on the L/H side of the switch.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #869 on: 03 April 2017, 14:51 »
Just out of interest, how the hell does that dealer have two Mk7.5's as "used" already??

AFAIK only a handful have come into the UK in the last week or so and even allowing for dealer demo/staff vehicles, they wouldn't be knocking them out yet would they?

Seems very bizarre!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC