Author Topic: MK7 GTI Facelift  (Read 302300 times)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: MK7 GTI Facelift
« Reply #450 on: 09 January 2017, 14:30 »
I'd find it hard to understand anyone who's used to a Golf even considering a Polo / A1 sized car (sporty variants or otherwise). They might be a bit of a hoot to drive for a bit (until the novelty wears off) but I'd soon get very tired of the compromised dimensions and general feeling that I'm driving the dealers loaner / my Mum's shopping trolley.

Not that the Golf is a limousine but still...

It depends on your circumstances but agreed I wouldn't want to downsize. I did to the Golf from my A4, partly because of the really tight car park at work but also for my OH who wouldn't drive the Audi as it was too big. Having said that, she hasn't driven the Golf yet either  :rolleyes:

My sister went from a Defender 110 to a Polo!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #451 on: 09 January 2017, 15:24 »
The size thing probably would bother me - I've already come down in size to a Golf.

More than that really is that the Polo is a generation behind with switch gear, let alone running gear. I suppose if I was driving a Passat now I'd think the same about the Golf...

Later this year when the new Polo is out, it'll be on MQB underpinnings, so that extra chassis refinement should be there, and it may get some new tech that even the facelift Golf hadn't been granted access to. The wife's A1 doesn't feel small from a driver's perspective (not mine anyway), as long as you're not a 6 footer in the back or wanting to get an Ikea wardrobe in the back with the rear seats down. If your comfort, equipment and power are there in the next Polo GTI, it could be a contender.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #452 on: 09 January 2017, 15:38 »
I'd find it hard to understand anyone who's used to a Golf even considering a Polo / A1 sized car (sporty variants or otherwise). They might be a bit of a hoot to drive for a bit (until the novelty wears off) but I'd soon get very tired of the compromised dimensions and general feeling that I'm driving the dealers loaner / my Mum's shopping trolley.

Not that the Golf is a limousine but still...

I've had plenty of loaners and i'd rather have a Polo GTI than the 150TDI Golf Match I normally get. I'm fine with the interior dimensions of the Wife's A1, in the front at least. Rear passengers are a rarity.

The Golf MK7 is a pretty dull drive when you're not burying the throttle on a performance model. That isn't a criticism of the Golf - all cars are going this way as they get more refined and less fun to drive. The GTD bored me without a box on, but did its job admirably as a comfy, frugal, well equipped car (with annoying levels of tramping).
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #453 on: 09 January 2017, 16:13 »
I think the days of dropping in an over-powered engine into an inadequate chassis and "enjoying" the scrabbly near death experience that only a handful of elite drivers manage to drive hard and live to tell the tale are indeed over and done with.

If that's your fun, then probably you need to do a bit of heavy mechanical upgrades because no corporation is going to field a litigation nightmare like that any more.

And it probably is all about the litigation and less about their desire to make your ride calm and comfortable.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #454 on: 09 January 2017, 17:01 »
I'd find it hard to understand anyone who's used to a Golf even considering a Polo / A1 sized car (sporty variants or otherwise). They might be a bit of a hoot to drive...
... I doubt I would get tired of a car that was fun to drive. And the Golf is getting quite big. Some reviews have said that the Polo GTI is closer to the original GTI experience.

My experience is that small cars with big engines are very enjoyable to drive.

Our A3 was bought for comfort and economy, not performance. I love driving our A3, but experience has shown me that I would soon get bored of it.

Experience has also taught me that firm suspension and low profile tyres are not ideal for my local roads.

... this all brings me full circle back to another Golf, in my continuing quest to find the best car for me.

Mk5 1.9 TDI - very comfortable, but boring.
Mk6 GTD - enjoyable to drive, but quite firm - even with adjustable suspension.
Mk7.5 GTI PP with DCC - I'm prepared to accept the loss of economy and some comfort, for the gain in performance.
(then maybe a Mk8 Golf R, but a lot could happen between now and 2020)

« Last Edit: 09 January 2017, 17:05 by Daz Auto »

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
« Reply #455 on: 09 January 2017, 17:50 »
I think the days of dropping in an over-powered engine into an inadequate chassis and "enjoying" the scrabbly near death experience that only a handful of elite drivers manage to drive hard and live to tell the tale are indeed over and done with.

If that's your fun, then probably you need to do a bit of heavy mechanical upgrades because no corporation is going to field a litigation nightmare like that any more.

And it probably is all about the litigation and less about their desire to make your ride calm and comfortable.
... what are you talking about? :undecided:

Watch the second half of this video - it shows the Polo GTI out braking a Golf GTI by over a car length.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiKbFb_lpbA

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #456 on: 09 January 2017, 18:39 »

Watch the second half of this video - it shows the Polo GTI out braking a Golf GTI by over a car length.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiKbFb_lpbA

The golf is a car and half ahead when they both reach the speed they brake at.
When they come to a rest the Golf is still a car and a half ahead.
Not sure how that equates to the Polo out braking the Golf when they are exactly the same  :undecided:
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
« Reply #457 on: 09 January 2017, 20:55 »
The golf is a car and half ahead when they both reach the speed they brake at.
... is it? I have watched this about 10 times now... at around 1:45 both cars brake, but it is impossible to tell from the angle if they are level or not. However...

In the earlier 0-60 test the Golf GTI was only half a car length ahead. So how did it get so far ahead in the braking test?

Because of the times being displayed it looks like a 60-0 test to me.

At the very end of the test it looks to me like the gap was growing and not remaining the same.

Can anyone translate that language?

« Last Edit: 09 January 2017, 21:52 by Daz Auto »

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #458 on: 09 January 2017, 21:52 »
You're right you can't tell but when they hit the brakes they both slow in a uniform manner so if you let the video run until the first two blocks are coloured red 1:44ish you can see the Golf is a car ahead.
It then finishes about another third ahead but this could be because the Polo starts to brake slightly before the Golf.
If you look between the the cars at 1:43ish you'll see the Polo's nose dip before the Golfs.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
« Reply #459 on: 09 January 2017, 22:30 »
... the Polo starts to brake slightly before the Golf.
... you'll see the Polo's nose dip before the Golfs.
... it is so hard to tell. I even watched it at 1:50 in slow motion and I still can't tell.

I noticed that the 2 countdown timers are both started at exactly the same time.

I also had a look at the info on the video. The Golf GTI has 28PS and 100Nm more, but it also weighs 150Kg (23 1/2 st) more. So the Golf is 12% heavier than the Polo. Which would explain the difference in braking distances.

2 cars - both have sports brakes, both have sports tyres, but one weighs 12% more. Which has the shortest stopping distance?
« Last Edit: 09 January 2017, 23:16 by Daz Auto »