Author Topic: MK7 GTI Facelift  (Read 302280 times)

Offline JamesR27

• Here all the time
Re: MK7 GTI Facelift
« Reply #430 on: 01 January 2017, 09:23 »
Does anyone know when order books open for the performance golfs and you will be able to configure one on the website?
MK 7.5 R Pure White, Pretoria Silver, DCC, Rear Camera.
Gone - MK 7 GTI Carbon Grey, Rear Camera, Service Pack.
Gone - MK 6 GTI  Reflex Silver, Monza Shadows, RCD 510, Rear Camera, Bluetooth, Tyre Pressure Sensor, Xenons Convenience pack, Service Pack :)
Gone - MK 5 GTI Reflex Silver, Monza II 18's, Luxury Pack, Mulitchanger

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #431 on: 01 January 2017, 11:20 »
February at the earliest
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline drisser

• I live here
« Reply #432 on: 07 January 2017, 21:32 »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a75GgnbiaeM

Looks very fussy those front lights.. 

As for the gesture control, my question is why bother ?  If you watch the video it's clear it doesn't work very well and it takes a split second to press a button so why faff around waving your hand looking like swatting flies when a simple dial or button works.

The HUD in my 330d is simply miles better than any of this you can scroll through radio stations, iPod, phone calls etc with both hands on wheel and eyes on road. 

I honestly think audi and vw are going the wrong way with this tech.. Grateful my CS has normal dials to be honest I wish manufacturers would spend the R&d budget on hardware not stupid gadgets to show off in the showroom..
Daily drive - LCI BMW 330 D Estoril Blue & Saddle leather. M sport + Pack / Prof Nav / Head Up / Heated Seats
On the way - CS ed 40 tornado red, manual, 3 door
Weekend fun - low mileage portofino blue 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo
2017 Build Slot reserved for BMW M2

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #433 on: 07 January 2017, 23:17 »
I was reading a google translated German article earlier. One thing really confused me - they said that the new 7-speed DSG would be available on the high torque 150PS diesel, but not on the GTI. So I had a look at the German configurator. Sure enough the 150PS diesel has a 7-speed DSG.

The brochure for the new GTD appears to show that it still has the 6-speed DSG.

Also, the figures for the new Golf R are claiming a slight improvement in Co2, fuel economy and performance compared to the manual. For the DSG equipped diesel the figures are worse than the manual. Though performance is the same.

I don't understand why the 7-speed DSG is in the Golf R, not in the GTI, in the 150PS diesel and not in the GTD.

Also, I don't understand how the 7-speed DSG appears to show improved figures for the Golf R and worse figures for the 150PS diesel - compared to the manual cars.

:undecided:

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #434 on: 08 January 2017, 09:46 »
I was reading a google translated German article earlier. One thing really confused me - they said that the new 7-speed DSG would be available on the high torque 150PS diesel, but not on the GTI. So I had a look at the German configurator. Sure enough the 150PS diesel has a 7-speed DSG.

The brochure for the new GTD appears to show that it still has the 6-speed DSG.

Also, the figures for the new Golf R are claiming a slight improvement in Co2, fuel economy and performance compared to the manual. For the DSG equipped diesel the figures are worse than the manual. Though performance is the same.

I don't understand why the 7-speed DSG is in the Golf R, not in the GTI, in the 150PS diesel and not in the GTD.

Also, I don't understand how the 7-speed DSG appears to show improved figures for the Golf R and worse figures for the 150PS diesel - compared to the manual cars.

:undecided:

The 150ps diesel doesn't get "the" 7 speed DSG unit that is in the S3 (and is heading for the R), it gets the other 7 speed dry clutch system that has been available on some lower powered VAGs for quite a while - the dry clutch system can't handle lots of torque or power, which is why it hasn't already been in higher powered units.

It is a mystery to me why the new R/S3 7 speed DSG isn't heading for the GTI/GTD  maybe the fuel economy benefits aren't there for the GTI/GTD as they already have taller gearing than the R and the only way of getting the performance to remain the same (0-62 is quicker if traffic light duels with launch control is your thing) and to get the economy up noticeably on the R was to make gears 1-6 a bit shorter and add a really tall 7th gear.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
« Reply #435 on: 08 January 2017, 11:10 »
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/news/vw-golf-7-facelift-2017-neuer-motor-8547795.html

From the 4.1.2017 article link above (which could be wrong) -

"That the new Siebengang (7-speed) DSG for torque-strong engines can initially only be ordered for the 150 hp TDI and the GTI Performance, but not for the standard GTI."

"Like the strong TDI from 150 hp, the GTI gets a new Siebengang DSG, which is to save up to ten percent CO2 and thus fuel."

The diesel figures quoted on the konfigurator don't show a 10% saving mentioned in the quote above. Maybe they don't have the new figures yet, so they are still using the old numbers :undecided:

The DSG DQ200 dry clutch is for engines up to 250Nm of torque. The 150PS diesel has 340Nm of torque. Previously it used the DQ250 wet clutch, with a max torque rating of 400Nm.

From memory - the new Golf R will have 400Nm, the new GTI will remain unchanged at 350Nm and the current GTD has 380Nm. These engines will not work with the 7-speed DSG dry clutch.

I suspect the new Audi A3 1.8 TFSI is using the 7-speed DSG dry clutch, but then it has only 250Nm of torque.

The data for the new Golf may not be up to date.

I cannot wait to see the data for the GTI Performance Pack.

« Last Edit: 08 January 2017, 12:17 by Daz Auto »

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #436 on: 08 January 2017, 12:25 »
Daz: Seems weird that VW will only initially allow availability of the new 7-speed DSG on the GTI PP and not the standard GTI - especially as VW market PP pack as an optional extra rather than as a distinct model in its own right, the extra 10ps barely makes a difference to performance (pre-facelift) due to the extra weight of the PP tech. Maybe supply is low (or they have a stockpile of 6-speed DSG boxes) and PP spec will be the big differentiator purely due to VW wanting to make spending the extra on PP that little bit more enticing.

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
« Reply #437 on: 08 January 2017, 14:12 »
Daz: Seems weird that VW will only initially allow availability of the new 7-speed DSG on the GTI PP and not the standard GTI - especially as VW market PP pack as an optional extra rather than as a distinct model in its own right, the extra 10ps barely makes a difference to performance (pre-facelift) due to the extra weight of the PP tech. Maybe supply is low (or they have a stockpile of 6-speed DSG boxes) and PP spec will be the big differentiator purely due to VW wanting to make spending the extra on PP that little bit more enticing.

Yeah, I don't understand why they would do that either. Though it may have to do with cost. I suspect the 7-speed DSG will be a more expensive option. I read somewhere that it may cost 25% more. Like you said, they may want a option which will help sell 6-speed DSG stock.

The standard GTI may appear £1300 to £1500 cheaper, which may appeal to some.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #438 on: 08 January 2017, 14:28 »

Yeah, I don't understand why they would do that either. Though it may have to do with cost. I suspect the 7-speed DSG will be a more expensive option. I read somewhere that it may cost 25% more. Like you said, they may want a option which will help sell 6-speed DSG stock.

The standard GTI may appear £1300 to £1500 cheaper, which may appeal to some.

Likely the 7 speed DSG will go up in price over the old 6 speed by about the same amount it will save you in showroom tax to dip below the £500 threshold that he manual R will command.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #439 on: 08 January 2017, 15:14 »
Likely that makes the 7 speed a PP only optional extra - more money for PP, more money again for 7 speed DSG.

Kerching.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC