Author Topic: MK7 GTI Facelift  (Read 302284 times)

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
Re: MK7 GTI Facelift
« Reply #340 on: 04 December 2016, 19:55 »
According to EVO Mag, the facelifted GTI and the PP will get about 10bhp extra each. In what seems to be an official VW press release, they say that the 7 speed dsg box will also be fitted, but not straight away. Don't know why VW have announced that, as I'd say the new box is worth waiting for. I love my dsg, but a quicker box with even closer cogs is a nice thought.
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #341 on: 05 December 2016, 15:28 »
Got some new information about this today as a company car customer came in and was upset she knew more than us. Her list had the p11D of a new SE Nav 2.0TDI 150ps DSG as £27kish so I guess we are expecting a big price increase. GTD, GTI and GTE were all on the list and GTD was 184ps so no new diesel engines I guess.

Hopefully the higher prices will reflect a much higher standard equipment level featuring bigger nav screens and digital gauges inside without dipping into the extras list.
Hopefully this is VW's thinking to keep the Golf at the cutting edge technologically and competitive price wise. Higher standard kit means easier to manage resale prices too.

According to EVO Mag, the facelifted GTI and the PP will get about 10bhp extra each. In what seems to be an official VW press release, they say that the 7 speed dsg box will also be fitted, but not straight away. Don't know why VW have announced that, as I'd say the new box is worth waiting for. I love my dsg, but a quicker box with even closer cogs is a nice thought.
VW mentioned a gradual adoption of 7 speeds at launch so that's accurate information.
However, in a country with a 70mph speed limit how many gears do you really need?
The thing will just be non stop hiccuping.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #342 on: 06 December 2016, 07:35 »
VW mentioned a gradual adoption of 7 speeds at launch so that's accurate information.
However, in a country with a 70mph speed limit how many gears do you really need?
On the Audi S3, the 7 speed Stronic (DSG) has improved acceleration and fuel economy. It is an option I would want to wait for. Hopefully, it will be available on the performance models from launch.

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
« Reply #343 on: 06 December 2016, 08:39 »
... and they might hit it with the ugly stick a little.
:huh: The evidence is in and the jury is out on that one.

I think the new swept LED running light are an improvement. Not sure about the black plastic bits. Really not sure about the red highlights in the GTI head lights. Waiting for more photos.

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
« Reply #344 on: 06 December 2016, 08:49 »
GTD, GTI and GTE were all on the list and GTD was 184ps so no new diesel engines I guess.
Maybe they were just using the current information for the GTD.

Though maybe that's why it was never mentioned at the launch. I did think it would be strange to announce it at the same time as the Golf R.

It's disappointing - a little more power and a 7 speed DSG could easily bring the GTD 0-62 down below 7 seconds. With the new DSG it would have been more economical too.

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
« Reply #345 on: 18 December 2016, 21:23 »
... thanks to the folks over at the VWROC forum...

« Last Edit: 18 December 2016, 21:32 by Daz Auto »

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #346 on: 18 December 2016, 22:38 »
Daz - are those standard wheels, replacing the Cadiz?

If so then those are a huge improvement over the fugly Cadiz - I would be more than happy to have those and not pay another £900 out to VW for the Prets. I slightly prefer the new front end (intakes - even if the black bits do look like Super Mario's 'tache) and the hexagonal detailing on the rear valance is a welcome addition too. It gets a thumbs up from me.  :smiley:
« Last Edit: 18 December 2016, 22:46 by monkeyhanger »
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #347 on: 18 December 2016, 23:04 »
I do like the look of the new DRL's and the rear lights but the front end is still just missing that more aggressive look I would personally like to see. Probably need to see it in the flesh first. So if VW are just releasing this facelift how long can we expect to wait until we see the new Mk8 R? Are we talking 2019 or possibly 2020?

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
« Reply #348 on: 18 December 2016, 23:22 »
Unfortunately, no details yet. Though even my wife commented on how nice those alloys are. I think I can see a 19 on one of those tyres. Does that make them an optional extra?

On the Mk8 - it's just an educated guess - launch end 2018, available early 2019, Golf R announced a year later, available early 2020.

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #349 on: 18 December 2016, 23:48 »
Hmmm. The wheels are an improvement on the Cadiz but still not great imo. Prets for me.
Looks like the side skirts are like those on the GTI, but maybe gloss black - not the fully painted skirts on today's car?
The honeycomb effect on the rear skirt is nice but isn't that more of a GTI thing... confused identity.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.